1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump cabinet selections and appointments

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Nov 18, 2016.

1. dmoneybangbang

Right?

It's not like we produced record oil and gas in 2014... it's not like we have tens of billions in refining capacity being built and wrapping up along the gulf coast... its not like all the scary predictions came true and we are paying an exorbitant amount for electricity...

Lol...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Nah, I don't believe that. 15 minutes on wikipedia is enough to know what the DOE does. Perry just mentions being briefed as an explanation on his about-face because he can't say the real reason -- when he called for its closure, it was only for reasons of cynical political opportunism (as evidenced by the fact that he couldn't even remember who it was he wanted to close).

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Mad Dog is here, ISIS is in trouble

#463 Commodore, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  4. dmoneybangbang

ISIS has already lost its most important territory. I am sure Mad Dog can tackle the next acronymed terrorist group....

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

DeVos confirmed thanks to tie breaking vote from Pence.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Is the draining the swamp? Putting someone with no real experience in education as the head of the DOE. She basically paid for the position.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

What did you expect from Republicans? Integrity? Values? Please.

8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

We have to keep cultivating stupid kids so the Republicans can continue to get votes.

Rashmon and AkeemTheDreem86 like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

So over bipartisan opposition to her based on her lack of experience in public education (shown by her not knowing important achievement metrics), based on her misleading statements regarding important instances of financial impropriety and conflict of interest... the republican party helped by Trump's vice president confirmed Devos.

While I completely agree a president should have the cabinet members he chooses confirmed, this is still dependent on meeting basic qualifications for the cabinet position. Devos failed that basic qualification requirement. The republican party and Trump has failed America's kids.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Hoped their cowardice would be hidden for at least 1 vote? They know this is wrong on so many levels. I've never been this pissed about a nomination ever.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

That's pretty much been the Republican strategy for the last 50 years.

Gut the middle class. Destroy social services and infrastructure.

Worked like a charm I'd say.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. Nook

Nook Member

The real question is how long until he resigns....

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This one is so bad that even the most hardcore Trump supporters I know (most of them teachers) are against it. This is literally the ONE thing he's done that they disagree with.

That's how bad it is.

15. Outlier

Outlier Member

First of all, lets dig deeper. Aside from contributing to Trump's campaign, why would Trump hire her? And why would she want this position? What's her intention?

16. leroy

I don't know for sure but I'd guess that her family is invested in for-profit education. Her intention is to do for the country what she helped do for Michigan...destroy public schools in the name of for-profit schools that has been nothing but an abject failure. The charter schools there have consistently produced lower scores than the public schools.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The answer to question #1 is the same answer to questions #2 and #3.

Money.

18. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

She is a big Charter school and voucher advocate.
    The only article I have seen on the issue stated that the charter schools had marginally better scores than the public schools.

19. leroy

This one says at or below. Let's say, though, you're right. Marginally better for people that have access to it. What about the students where my wife teaches in eastern Montgomery County? Most of the charter schools don't provide transportation. A large majority of my wife's students are bus riders and have parents that either don't own transportation or they work jobs that don't allow them to be able to drive their kids into Conroe or The Woodlands or wherever the schools would be opened (highly unlikely one would be opened in Grangerland). How does this help them? How does it help them when a for-profit school decides it isn't profitable enough in October and simply shuts down? How does it help them when they're not held to the same accountability standards as public schools?

Buck Turgidson and RocketWalta like this.
  20. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

Boggles the mind how a lifelong fundraising donor to the Republican party got Republican senators to vote for her confirmation despite the misgivings of the American people, specifically those in education. I thought the blue-collar billionaire was going to change the culture in Washington.

But I agree, we should focus on this administrations plans for education now. Obviously, DeVos has always been a big supporter of school vouchers and a harsh critic of public schools. DeVos and Trump will attempt to defund public education through this:
    https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/education/.
    No clue where this 20 billion will come from but so far he's been aggressive in trying to implement his agenda. What I think will suffer long term are the student's educations in secular institutions in this country within red states. That means public schools and state universities. Considering that Jerry Falwell Jr. was Trump's 1st choice here my best guess is that the radical religious right has got a foothold in this administration and we'll see them favor those policies moving forward.

As other's have mentioned, she's also got no experience or much knowledge on these issues, other than criticisms, but I guess that's what people want these days.