1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Truehoop/Zach Lowe-Kevin Arnovitz: There is a certain glee at the Houston Rockets not getting what t

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 16, 2014.

1. munco

munco Member

Calling it like it is. Whether it's fair or not perception becomes reality. Our rep got destroyed this year. With this said we can recover.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Easily. Houston is prime to make a trade or two. They're completely remaking their supporting roster with very interesting pickups from a toughness/defensive mindset.

I know everyone said that Parsons was a uniter and that he was the glue to that locker room, but maybe Parsons' friendships was a bandaid on personalities that need to be floored instead of massaged. I think we are headed for more of a "Patrick Beverley" type of leadership. Maybe they will be able to hit their locker room issues more head on with this group.

As for the comment you have about our rep getting destroyed.... well yeah, but the rep around the league was "who is Morey going to fleece this time"?? He stole Harden 2 years ago, stole Howard in free agency in the perfect year where so few teams had true cap space. Simply put... Morey finally looked human. Its like when people made fun of Michael Jordan playing baseball. He looked human when he tried to do something crazy and it didn't work. People love to bash people during those moments.

Now this year, the Rockets have what looks like a disastrous off season, but its still very early. The Ariza signing was a GREAT recovery that they acted on quick. As Lowe said, they could have panicked and signed someone for 10 mil here that really doesn't do anything for them just to feel better about their July but they didn't. They are always very sure about what they are doing, and they never panic to overpay players that aren't superstars.

I know I would have panicked and matched Parsons. There is merit in never making panic deals (remember Cuban's spending spree last year after Dwight spurned them?). Let other teams win July for once in awhile. We can worry about May & June instead this time.

1 person likes this.
  3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

All people will interpret from this well put post:

"You just compared Daryl Morey to Michael Jordan? Wtf!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:"

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

LOL. That's why I hate comparisons. The point was he took a huge gamble and looked human. As a GM the past two years, Morey has been pretty much a superstar at his job.

Its basic human nature that people enjoy out of spite when someone who gets talked about as being so incredibly great finally gets a gut punch.

5. Zergling

Zergling Member

This is great. The Rockets should take this as an absolute compliment. Daryl Morey has single-handedly made the Rockets relevant and a franchise that everyone is monitoring.

6. MONON

MONON Member

What I found interesting was they spent a lot of time talking about the "glee" around the league with the Rockets "failing" this off season, but only said that the Lakers were throwing things on the wall to see what stuck. They failed to mention that since Jerry Buss died, they've lost Dwight Howard & Paul Gasol and no "superstar" has committed to them. At least the Rockets had a verbal commitment from Bosh before he signed back with Miami.

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I mean it's honestly not surprising that there's a glee around certain circles in the league. Hell, there's a certain glee from our own fans that Morey has had a setback.

8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

People are glad coz they'd get their asses kicked by a Howard/Bosh/Parson/Harden/Beverley lineup! Simple.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

People on the outside tend to criticize success. That's just a fact. One can disagree with me, but I've seen it happen time and time again. The reason the Rockets, and Morey, have received so much flack is because they/we have been so successful. Sure, we lost in the 1st round last year, and a lot of folks around the league cackled, chuckled, and laughed when that happened, but why the reaction? Because we've been so successful. We got a superstar, James Harden, for chump change. We got Dwight Howard, the best center in the league, in my opinion, away from the exalted LA Lakers, and that wasn't supposed to happen, and if by some miracle it did, it wasn't supposed to be to Houston. It freaks people out. It freaks out beat writers. It freaks out organizations, it freaks out the silly talking heads on ESPN. They're FREAKED OUT, people!

So **** them. Pay no attention to these people. They're drawing a check to make up this kind of "controversy." Pay attention to our record at the break next season. If we suck, raise hell. Raise the roof. If you take this crap seriously, though, you''re doing just what they want. You are taking their BS seriously. Don't. Wait and see what happens. In my humble opinion.

Oh, and my team won at trivia tonight at the pub on 6th Street. Ha!

1 person likes this.
  10. McKinleyH

McKinleyH Member

I also vote for relief at not facing a team with Harden, Howard, Bosh, Parsons........

11. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

Morey is like a dude in a bar who hits at all the girls, he gets laid but but, he infuriates many

1 person likes this.
  12. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Someone needs to make a "u mad" picture like every single freaking heat fan had after they signed their trio once we land our third star!

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Fixed your bs

14. Hmm

Hmm Member

I don't understand this line of thinking... It's not as if the team resides in Milwaukee, or Toronto... It's not a success to have simply managed to rebuild ourselves with a "star" tandem...

We haven't been in serious contention since 1997... We were surpassed by the Spurs in number of championships, and have only one more than the Dallas Mavericks in the state alone... This organization has nothing to be currently envious about...What's everyone talking about...?

15. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I think it's mainly because

A. Those teams don't have and never have players of Dwight Howard and james harden stature. We're talking nba superstars got tv commercials and making all nba nods yearly.

B. James Harden.... This dude fell in our laps at age 23 for peanuts. To make it worse we weren't even the thunders 1st 2nd or even 3rd choice in a trade package. You think golden state really loves having klay Thompson over james harden? You think Washington isn't kicking themselves for not having the best backcourt in the league with the ability to dominate the east for the next 10 yrs because for beal? Of course not these teams are salty that they miffed on harden who is better than their own teams stars (curry,wall) when they could of had both.

C. Dwight Howard.... He came to Houston simply for the fact the from a pure basketball standpoint James Harden was the best player he could play with. This move made the rockets legit contenders. At the end of the day we got of to a really slow start and still won 54 games in yr one with the youngest team. This scares teams forget the playoff mess that's what is gonna make harden better. Dwight understands this hardens still really young we forget this because he's already so good and attracted star talent at a young age. That still doesn't change the fact that he's 24 and needs to feel that playoff embarrassment. Point being the H&H boys are good enough to win a championship because their both top 5 talents when fully focused and that's something no other team has. Everyone would love to have a superstar wing and superstar center. Only team with that is Houston. Again more hate.

All in all I love that the Rockets our getting press. Good or bad it means we have arrived and it's all because of our great GM who got us the right star talent.

1 person likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The last two years we've gotten two superstars, and that makes us the envy of a heck of a lot of teams, in my opinion. That's freakin' amazing! If you want to go back to what we've done since 1997, well hell yes, I'm bummed out right there with you, but that isn't what I'm looking at. Not that kind of time frame. I totally understand how those looking at the "big picture" feel. It's been decades since we've savored real success, playing in the Western Conference Finals, yet we've put ourselves back in the picture as contenders, and that's thanks to our GM. Yes, I think we're envied in certain quarters.

17. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11225362/nba-buzz-2014-las-vegas-summer-league

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Big surprise...some hate us, some admire us and some sympathize with us.

Much ado about nothing, guys

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The glee I meant was Morey's in getting Harden and Howard in consecutive years.

20. Remii

Remii Member

I'd rather us be relevant because we are winners and not because of the way our GM operates... Because the way he operates has gotten us no where _ YET...