1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

True Shooting%, eFG%, and PER

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketfanatic2, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Rocketfanatic2

Well, now that we've had a few games to watch and evaluate our players, I'm going to start this thread that I also created last year. I will be updating the stats every few games or so.

Regular FG% (more than 50 attempts)

Jordan Hill - 57%
    Luis Scola - 53%
    Brad Miller - 51%
    Chuck Hayes - 49%
    Kevin Martin - 46%
    Aaron Brooks - 43%
    Courtney Lee - 43%
    Chase Budinger - 38%
    Shane Battier - 38%
    Ishmael Smith - 37%
    Kyle Lowry - 36%

True Shooting % (takes all field goals and free throws into effect)

Kevin Martin - 64%
    Brad Miller - 60%
    Jordan Hill - 59%
    Aaron Brooks - 56%
    Luis Scola - 56%
    Chuck Hayes - 55%
    Courtney Lee - 53%
    Shane Battier - 49%
    Kyle Lowry - 45%
    Chase Budinger - 45%
    Ishmael Smith - 42%

eFG% (adjusts for the fact that a 3 pointer is worth more than a 2 pointer)

Jordan Hill - 57%
    Brad Miller - 54%
    Kevin Martin - 53%
    Luis Scola - 53%
    Aaron Brooks - 52%
    Courtney Lee - 49%
    Chuck Hayes - 49%
    Shane Battier - 46%
    Chase Budinger - 42%
    Ishmael Smith - 39%
    Kyle Lowry - 38%

PER (player efficiency rating based on leagu average of 15)

Luis Scola - 22.7
    Kevin Martin - 21.1
    Brad Miller - 16.9
    Aaron Brooks - 16.7
    Chuck Hayes - 13.7
    Jordan Hill - 13.2
    Courtney Lee - 12.1
    Shane Battier - 10.4
    Kyle Lowry - 10.2
    Ishmael Smith - 9.8
    Chase Budinger - 9.5

We need Chase to start playing much better if we want to have any type of turnaround. Also, while Kyle's numbers may not seem too good, he's played much better of late. I am curious as to what Hill's numbers would look like were he to be given more minutes.

Yalls thoughts?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's still too early, especially for injured players who haven't played much.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nice effort but from what I undestand True shooting percentage already takes 3 pointers into account aside from fts, rendering all other "efficiency" statistics redundant IMHO.

What I'd be really interested in seeing is a "possession pie" showing how many shots each players take during games that we lost vs games that we won aside from the TS%. Maybe we'll see who keeps hogging the ball during the time we lose games.

4. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

If your only adjusting for a 2 to a 3 for the eFG then that means that the stats can only help you. How can Jordan Hill and Brad Miller jump up ranks if they do not shoot any 3's.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Thank you for this. This will be very useful throughout the season.

6. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Wow Brad Miller.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I noticed that Brad and Jordan were at the top of most. Brad is there because he has played significant minutes. If Jordan had the minutes that Brad has had so far...... :confused:

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

YESS!!! My calculator says he's an MVP candidate!!! I'm so thankful we finally have someone to build this team around! Thank you, Brad Miller.

And thank YOU, Math!!!

;)

9. djimi

djimi Member

i think there is no doubt how good we are on the offensive end but you need to balance your data with defensive data, then you will see where we need to improve to turn this around, very simple fact. every single player needs to step up defensively, of course having the Big guy back will help a lot. but yeah, there are still some players yet to show their true potential. call me a fan boy if you like but i still think this team can make the playoff, they just need better chemistry and of course play better defense. once we start peaking come playoff time, i expect at least 2nd round playoff ;)

10. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

What is wrong with the math? The statistics suggests that he is an efficient scorer, which we all know that he is. However, we all know that he is horrendous on the defensive end, which is something that is not quantified through these statistics.

It would be interesting if someone could quantify at what point your efficiency in scoring becomes useless if your defense is terrible.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

did you see the little winking, "i'm just kidding around" smilie at the bottom of my post?

12. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

You know when someone says something mean to you and they say "I'm just kidding" but you know they really meant it. That is what you just pulled off.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Nice post. :grin:

But, hey, you should at least admit that Miller's $4.4M salary is not unreasonable.

14. RyanB

RyanB Member

Opposing point guards are shooting 46% against the Rockets, : 26th in the league.
    Opposing shooting guards are shooting 45% against us, : 18th.
    Opposing small forwards are shooting 43% against the Rockets, :10th in the league.
    Opposing power forwards are shooting 47% against the Rockets, :9th in the league.
    Opposing centers are shooting 52% against the Rockets, : 20th in the league.

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

How he helps the team score (far more important than personal efficiency) is not taken into account here either. You begin to question the usefulness of a personal shooting efficiency stat like TS% when anyone who has watched half the games knows that Luis Scola has been the key to our offense with his ability to score in the post and from midrange. Not to say that it is useless and fg% is better, at all. It's just people need to keep these things in perspective. While team scoring is the most important thing in this sport, how well one player scores is only a tiny piece to the puzzle.

Does this player provide positive action offensively without scoring? assists, passes before the pass, solid screens, offensive rebounding, are they an inside scoring threat, etc? Some high shooting percentage guys aren't nearly as potent offensively as they appear to be.

Miller definitely has the ability to help us with his passing but I don't see him do it enough because our wings don't have the correct combination of strength and quickness to benefit from his nifty passes. Also, as sad as it is, this team still doesn't move well enough in the offense. I see Miller standing, holding the ball, and directing traffic far too much. If the wings moved more instinctively into those open spaces Miller could prove to be one of the better signings this offseason.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

whats interesting is that brooks (who is considered our star) is only slightly above the league average...

also the fact that chuck is close to the league average is pretty nice.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Same way it was last year - nothing new at all. Which is why many don't consider him a star, but don't feel the need to repeat it incessantly.

18. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

When was the last time a shoot first PG became an all-star? Mike Bibby didn't even make an all-star game in his time at Sacramento.

Noone thinks Brooks is a star. I think he's lumped in the same category as Mike Conley Jr and Raymond Felton. Solid PGs but need an extra something for them to be great.

19. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Chauncey but he was a strong defender too.