1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

True Shooting% and Effective FG%

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketfanatic2, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Rocketfanatic2

TS%- True shooting percentage taking 2 and 3 pointers plus free throws into effect.

Kevin Martin- .552
    Aaron Brooks- .547
    Garrett Temple- .546
    Luis Scola- .546
    Shane Battier-.545
    Kyle Lowry- .544
    Chase Budinger-.528
    Jared Jeffries-.519
    David Andersen-.484
    Trevor Ariza-.474
    Chuck Hayes-.469
    Jermaine Taylor-.463
    Brian Cook-.403
    Hilton Armstrong-.400
    Jordan Hill-.210

eFG%- adjusts for the fact that 3 pointers are worth one more point than 2 pointers. (obviously)

Shane Battier-.515
    Luis Scola-.512
    Aaron Brooks-.507
    Chase Budinger-.501
    Jared Jeffries-.500
    Garrett Temple-.500
    Chuck Hayes-.462
    David Andersen-.459
    Kyle Lowry-.450
    Trevor Ariza-.447
    Kevin Martin-.418
    Hilton Armstrong-.400
    Jermaine Taylor-.375
    Brian Cook-.348
    Jordan Hill-.000

These are some interesting statistics that I found. The true shooting percentage kind of tells me who I might want with the ball in clutch situations. The newcomers will dramatically change once they play a little bit more, but still interesting to me none the less.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2010.html

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's amazing how Martin's percentage shoots up from 42% to 55% after factoring in his effectiveness from the free throw line.

3. Rocketfanatic2

Ya I figured he would have the highest just for the sole fact of his free throws.

4. Rocketfanatic2

I forgot to add in just the normal FG%

Luis Scola-.511
    Jared Jeffries-.500
    Garrett Temple-.462
    Chuck Hayes-.462
    Aaron Brooks-.430
    David Andersen-.424
    Chase Budinger-.420
    Kyle Lowry-.406
    Shane Battier-.403
    Hilton Armstrong-.400
    Kevin Martin-.392
    Trevor Ariza-.383
    Jermaine Taylor-.375
    Brian Cook-.304
    Jordan Hill-.000

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Yup and the scary part is we both know his FG and 3-pt percentages are only going to rise as he gets more comfortable and accustomed to life in a new uniform. Can't wait until that happens given that he's well below his career averages in both categories since joining the Rockets.

Hopefully, we have PLENTY more '32 points on 13 shots' caliber performances in our future. :)

6. RocketMadness

RocketMadness Member

I'm amazed with Martin's TSG.

7. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I am extremely surprised by Brian Cook's numbers. Shouldn't it be lower?

8. Rocketfanatic2

Not enough playing time probably.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Martin and Brooks right at the top.

Exactly as it should be.

;)

DD

10. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

kevin martin is a beast. Even him not playing to his full potential, he has already taken out Aaron in his efficiency and total scoring. And Scola known to be our best or most efficient shooter drops to number 4. I'm surprised that when the 3 pointers are added, their efficiencies drop. I'm probably mistaken, but I vaguely remember someone posting a thread showing that 3 pointers were more efficient that the two's.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Layup is most efficient, followed by free throw, followed by corner 3, followed by regular 3.

12. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Forget this year... take a look at his TS% over the previous 4 seasons. It's been over 60% every year, which is by far the best for a 20+ppg guard. Noone else has even come close.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Indeed. Martin's stats this season are diminished by his injury and bad usage in Sacramento.

Also, for reference, Yao last year's TS%(.618) and eFG%(.541) would both be clear #1 on this year's team. Morey loves his efficient players, that's for sure.

14. durvasa

A player's eFG% will always be higher than their FG%, because all it is doing is adding 0.5*3FGM to the numerator.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I thought it was crazy how many Chinese posters Yao brought here... but the amount of stat topics Morey has created beats it. Not bashing this or any stat threads btw, just an observation.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

I can't speak for others, but I've been pretty obsessed with stats for longer than I've been on this board. It started when I found baseballprospectus in the early days of the internet. And I've tried to analyze stuff from a statistical standpoint ever since.

The problem is that before Morey's days, posting advanced stats basically get you apathy at best and ridicule at worst. I don't think anybody ever cared back then. Even today, I'd say non-Rockets NBA fans would have a pretty negative response to discussing non-traditional stats in player evaluation.

17. towW

towW Member

I still don't understand the numbers. I know it changes between a 3 and a 2 pointer but, how do they get a eFG%? do they just take out the 3 pointers?
    Also don't understand how they get TS%. How do they get such high percentages with a 3pt percentage included?

Also interesting to see Landry has the highest of them all at .621%TS .547%eFG. If Morey uses this he must have miscalculated.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I always liked PPS...

This takes into account both FTs and 3pters made.

DD

19. durvasa

It goes back to how we understand what "efficiency" means. Instead of looking at efficiency as shots made per shots attempted, the idea here is to look at it as points scored per shots attempted.

FG% = FGM / FGA

But if you want to look at it in terms of points scored per shot attempt, it can be rewritten as:

FG% = 0.5 * [points scored from field goals] / FGA, assuming all made field goals are 2-pointers

What eFG% does is it distinguishes made 3s from made 2s, because a made 3 is worth one extra point. So, it is simply:

eFG% = 0.5 * [actual points scored from field goals] / FGA

TS% goes one step further, and counts trips to the free throw line that aren't recorded in the boxscore as a FGA as a "shot attempt":

TS% = 0.5 * [total points scored] / [true shot attempts]

#19 durvasa, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  20. durvasa

The problem with PPS is it does not factor in efficiency on free throws.

A player who goes 2/2 from the field and 5/5 from the free throw line has the same PPS as a player who goes 2/2 from the field and 5/10 from the free throw line.