1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

True or False: Clint Capela is this team's second best player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pgabriel, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you forgot "Yule C" . . . ;)

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  2. seeingred

seeingred Member

Definitely a conditioning issue for Clint. You ever try to put on muscle AND increase your stamina? It's impossible for most people and, at the least, extremely difficult for a 23 year old athlete. Every lbs he gains helps him bump more effectively for rebounds but it's also another lbs to carry up and down the floor/jump with. Not much need to hold your position in the post anymore so i don't see him needing to put on NeNe's size (not that he could - two totally different body types).

This offseason will be YUGE for him.

And i agree - this is a well rounded team and any player 1-8 (!?) could be the 2nd best player on any given night.

RudyTBag likes this.
  3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Clint Capela had a really good game yesterday, but he isnt this teams 2nd best. Also Clint has some weak hands.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He's not our 2nd best player but he is certainly our 2nd most valuable asset. This is a guy who had his first full year as starter, and now his first full playoffs as starter. 22 years old. Always improves in the summer. Has gone from being regularly lost on defense to average defender. Has gone from being a non-existent offensive player to a PnR threat with some emerging moves around the basket.

You can tell he has that polite hesitation in his attitude. To be respectful until he's disrespected. I don't like that in a big man. He needs to lose that and become the aggressor. An elbow to the face will help, but a harder foul than that will accelerate his mental development. As for his strength, offense and defense - if he just improves at these things at half the rate he's already been improving at them, he will be worth $20m by the time he's an FA.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  5. basketballholic

He's got great value, both to us, and on the trade market. Second best player? Can't really argue that. Although I personally believe a healthy Gordon is more important to our success.

6. basketballholic

Yule C is not pertinent right now. It MAY come back into play in July.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Not having cable and following box scores during the game, one of the reasons I formed this opinion is his consistent positive plus/minus stats.

They aren't only consistently positive but very high.

He may not be a traditional big in size but he is incredibly efficient and productive per minutes on the court

He and Anderson led the team with +27s

RudyTBag likes this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Capela had one of his best games yesterday, with good energy and intensity on defense and rebounding to go with the PnR attack that's always there. When he came back from the locker room after stitches, he elevated his game, and led a defensive run.

But this thread is about 2nd best player, and Beverley was clearly the 2nd best player in Game 1 if not the game MVP. So even on one of his best days, Capela is just one of the Run As One crew around Harden, having no clear 2nd where a different player can step up... but Bev might make a case if he keeps this up.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

clearly we need the OFFICIAL and definitive thread on how and when to employ "Yule C" correctly. I fear I am not the right person for the job. Perhaps someone will step in and, ahem . . . start a new thread. :cool:

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

My last post was just to say it was a typical game for him

It's about the consistency

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The thing about teams built around all stars is having guys who show up every night

Capela shows up every game. That's the point

On the perimeter, the rockets have a lot of capable guys

In Capela they have one definite guy they can count on

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yule C is legendary. It will ALWAYS be pertinent.

13. heypartner

And my post was His intensity on defense and rebounding wasn't typical. He brought it up a notch. We need more of that, consistently.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Our bigs look WAY better when our guards aren't allowing straight line drives all game long. Clint isn't the greatest defender, but rim protection is impossible for anyone, outside of Dream, If your guards play as terrible defensively as ours have for large portions of this season. I hate to give Dwight any leeway because he is a total loser, but he had an impossible job last year. Your perimeter guys have to make the offense change directions once, or at least make them curve their drives a little bit to allow a rim protector some time to help.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He has a good rebounding average
    You're totally wrong about rebounding

16. basketballholic

I may do that if I get new info that were back on Noel. Or I might just use it in a post and let others pick up on it.

Noel is an odd situation. His new agent is supposed to be Dan Fegan and Fegan is embroiled in legal issues that have shut down his ability to practice. Another team could possibly do to Dallas what Dallas did to us with Parsons, sign him to a huge offer sheet the first day of free agency and force Dallas to make a very tough decision early. MDA likes Noel a lot. Remember that. So does DM. But for sure they like him enough to give him a hundred mill though.

17. basketballholic

To those that line comedic entertainment mire than basketball......I suppose so.

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

But does Harden like Noel? Who Maury likes is largely irrelevant

heypartner likes this.
  19. heypartner

Can't argue with someone who only looks at stats. But, what do you mean by rebounding average?

I mean, I can show you stats that rank him very middle of the road. And that's on a team who doesn't have a PF who rebounds much.

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Capella did very well for a young kid and his lack of playoff experience.

He was not intimidated and took the game to Thunder's bigs.

We need his size on the court. He is our only true paint protector.

Nene does not offer too much rim protection. He uses his IQ and ihs positioning to defend.

Team's have a harder time in the paint with Capella on the floor.