1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

True or False: Clint Capela is this team's second best player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pgabriel, Apr 13, 2017.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I have the same question. I hear it in other Internet groups. I think it's just perception

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Who would you say is second best. I've only been saying this since he returned from injury

3. Nook

Nook Member

Of course he deserves credit but a number of players can do the same. He also deserves credit for taking advantage of the opportunity he has been given.... but it doesn't make him the second best player on the team.

4. Nook

Nook Member

He isn't soft but he can be pushed around inside.

Vivi likes this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think dantoni referred to it as a "tank" issue not a motor issue . Clint plays hard most of the time he is out there, but when he gets tired he looks bad.

I think the perception of him being soft comes from him being a euro. Name one euro that came into the league and didn't have the soft label put on him whether or not it was true.

Clints injury derailed his chance to work his way into 30 mpg shape this year . Hopefully he can get there next year . He obviously has some sort of physical limitations in that regard that he will have to overcome to truly be considered a great role player.

I think Clint is growing well ; he's 22 and is no where near his physical peak . His skills also have tons of room to grow , but he seems like he puts in the work . As for now , because of harden, he is more than serviceable .

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

In my mind? Because I see him playing soft on the court, largely on the plays where he gets pushed off balance on defense and rebounding.

Make sense?

Here's a question back,,,for comparison purposes, on a scale of MIL's lack of starting center to DJordon/M Gasol where would you put Capela on the soft/tough scale for starting centers on playoff teams. If you want, you can pretend John Henson is still MILs starting center.

7. heypartner

I already answered that in my first post in your thread, and even expanded upon it in my post to you on the previous page.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

U

Tha

You didn't name anyone in your first comment

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Ranking him among rockets is all that matters

But on this issue, besides Harden, which Rocket is highest ranked at his position

He isn't perfect as far as being light, but doesn't mean he isn't the second best Rocket

If you think he does well because of the game plan that's not a knock

Secondly the entire roster is picked to play around Harden.

10. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

after the last game i think its between bobby brown and sergio llull

11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Who was the second best player in our first championship run? That team was much like this one in that it surrounded a MVP-caliber player with exactly the right role players. We don't have a single second-best player on this squad. We have about 5 of them.

12. heypartner

Oh, sorry, misread your question. Bev, Ariza, Gordon and Anderson are all better and more important imo, hence why coach gives them more minutes. I'm not arguing that. But it is my answer.

The question was how is he soft. You asked it. Now you don't want to tell me your definition of soft? Apparently because you want to sweep that weakness of him under the rug and pretend he's just as tough at holding his ground on defense and rebounding as the other starting playoff centers. Hell, I think he might be the worst, or at least bottom three of 16, er 15 since MIL doesn't start a center.

If you want to rank him just to our players, I'd rank him well behind our only other true center, in that regard. It is a visible weakness he has.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think it was easily Thorpe but I agree overall

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm saying he is light. Some teams he isn't going to overcome that

We will just have to agree to disagree on who is second best

However
    Capela is the only player who brings what he brings. Having shooters is important, but again, Capela brings rebounding every night. He brings scoring most nights. But really, he leaves a positive footprint every night and that's why i think he has catapulted himself to second

15. heypartner

OK, I agree with those strengths. See my first post on first page. But the reason he only gets 24 mpg is because of his motor, get pushed around on defense by all the playoff starting centers, and because he will lose rebounder position to most of them.

If we are going to continue chatting, at least name his weaknesses like you would any other Rocket in the discussion of 2nd Best. Does he have any to you, compared to other playoff centers, aside from the obvious lack of shooting and post play....luz

pgabriel likes this.
  16. basketballholic

Actually our offer was less than Dallas. Yeah I'm right on DMo.

17. dmoneybangbang

I guess I view "soft" differently, as Capela isn't afraid of contact he just isn't strong and savvy enough against players who are both strong and smart in positioning. I think Capela's footwork and speed is a big strength. I view Anderson as soft mostly on defense as well as DMo even when he could stay on the court as he would fall down too often when you bodied him up on defense.

Maybe you also view it as a strength issue and we just call it a different thing. NBA is about matchups and some guys will eat Capela's lunch and vice versa.

Probably in the middle as quantifying "soft" is tough, pun intended. Capela rebounds better than playoff centers,like Steven Adams, Greg Monroe, Henson, Horford, Robin Lopez, Henson, Green, Zaza, etc. Whether or not that's merely a product of our system or not, Capela isn't some slouch on the boards. I think defensively, he's probably in the bottom third. Since you brought up MIL, Monroe has a traditional center body and yet he doesn't rebound as well as Capela and defensively only slightly better.

How would one calculate/compensate for Capela's age and experience compared the other starting NBA centers? Does Capela get bonus points for being a 3rd year player when almost every other starting center is more experienced and older?

Capela has his shortcomings, but our opposing points in the paint is a team wide issue. Yes Capela is part of the deficiency but so is our weak side help (whether Anderson or Harden who often are slow to come help).

Hakeemtheking and pgabriel like this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

Prove the offer then, why should anyone take that as face value?

No you're not. DMo overplayed his hand with an incompetent agent.

19. dmoneybangbang

Does motor equal strength to you? Capela runs the floor on offense and defense, it's a conditioning issue in my opinion.

So it seems you think Capela is one of the weaker or weakest starting centers, all things considered?

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Thank you I just don't know the other centers well. A lot of Capela criticism is sight test. He is a really good rebounder despite still being undersized and therefore I can't call him soft