1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

True measuring stick - How we are doing against winning teams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jan 6, 2015.

1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Based on Schuhmann's numbers, our offensive rating through yesterday is 13th among the 14 teams in the league with winning records. So, pretty bad?

2. basketballholic

Actually those ratings are among the 14 teams when they play each other. It's how we rate when playing those other 13 teams with winning records.

3. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Yeah its not a good sign when we are near last on O when playing the good teams relative to other good teamas.

4. KlutchQT

So, pretty bad?

5. basketballholic

If the playoffs were to start today we'd have practically the worst offense of any of the the playoff teams.

6. KlutchQT

This is effing depressing. I miss our scrappy little November squad.

1 person likes this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

When we were something like 13-3, I pointed out the soft schedule. People called me Debbie Downer, saying that the record was great while we were injury-laden.

Well most of our rotation guys have been back for a while, with the addition of two supposedly important pieces in Brewer and Smith. We aren't doing very well against good teams.

I think we will still have a pretty good final record the way we are beating up on bad teams. But I am still very worried about the playoffs.

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Parsons recruited Dwight because it was agreed that he would be let out of his cheap contract.

9. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

I actually miss the squad of a couple years ago that would blow teams out by 30 points every other night. The good ol days.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Quite a statement.

And keep in mind, this is a team that has the NBA's leading scorer in James Harden.

11. bmd

bmd Member

I feel you. But I've seen improvement over the past couple games, so that makes me more optimistic than I was after the Wizards and Pelicans games where they looked flat-out bad.

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, unfortunately I agree. Hopefully team comes together and figures things out, if not, the media was right about this being a 6th/7th seed. And playoffs will be disappointing.

13. KlutchQT

Well... at least T. Jones should be an offensive boost, right? Is it 4-6 weeks yet? Or at least #soon?

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

The top two players at their position, two top ten players, and they can't make it out of the first round?! :eek:

Oh, and they just extended the coach for 3 more years.

All you can do is laugh. :)

15. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

At this point Howard is FAR from the top player at his postion. I would say the way he is playing right now he isnt even in the top 3 for defensive centers in the league let alone on ofense.

16. KlutchQT

Surely you must mean that Donatas Motiejunas has emerged as the league's top PF. I can see no other reasonable interpretation at this time.

17. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

offense*

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yes, you are both right. No one today would say Howard is top at his position.

Coming into the season, absolutely Dwight was considered best (at worst, top 3) at his position.

See: GM survey, #NBARank, and all the other preseason stories telling us how great Dwight is and is gonna be! MVP! MVP! MVP! :rolleyes:

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, Jones could definitely help out... As long as McHale doesn't wait to use him. I just don't know if it'll be enough to do something in the playoffs (in the West).

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The biggest problem with our offense is that Trevor Ariza gets 12 shots a game and makes only 4 of them.

If Trevor Ariza were playing at the level he played at last year the Rockets would jump to like 3rd best offense in terms of ORtg.