1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Troy Daniels tearing it up....

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bilaal14, Dec 15, 2016.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Recency bias is getting the best of you.

James Harden shot 36% from 3 last year, which is in line with his career %
    Trevor Ariza shot 37% from 3 last year, which is slightly above his career %
    Patrick Beverley shot 40% from 3 last year, which is higher than his career % and best he did up until this year

As a team we shot 34.7% from 3 last year. Want to know what it was the year before when we went to the WCF? 34.8%

So please let me know where we actually "sucked" in shooting 3s last year when, in fact, the highest volume shooters on the team shot pretty much the same as 2014-2015 or better.

But you know how DIDN'T shoot as well as they did in 2014-2015 but actually did worse?

[​IMG]

Pen15clubber likes this.
  2. Zergling

Zergling Member

Man were it not for that horrible Brewer contract we could have someone like Courtney Lee and Daniels

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

A quick glance of his numbers through his career:
    13-14 .480 (HOU)
    14-15 .346 (HOU, MIN, CHO)
    15-16 .484 (CHO)
    16-17 .408 (MEM)
    Career .422

He only had one sub-.400 season. That was the season when we got rid of him and he played for 3 different teams. Two .480+ seasons. Career .422. I'd say he's a pretty consistently good shooter.

oelman44 likes this.
  4. steddinotayto

......I never said he wasn't a good shooter. I've maintained my stance that the dude was traded because he wasn't producing what was expected of him when he was given more minutes and you've helped me prove my point.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The gripe is not "we got rid of him while he did well," but "we prematurely got rid of him because of one bad stretch." So you are kind of barking up the wrong tree.

I think a better argument is that he, while a very good shooter, doesn't do much other things well enough to keep him.

6. steddinotayto

Right now, I'll agree to disagree with you because we can keep this discussion going without a clear ending. The one thing that's lost in all of this is that we got back a very productive Corey Brewer that year and he played an important part in our playoff run.

Also, fyi, Daniels' shooting % on the season for that year was higher (34.6%) than what he shot while he was in a Rockets uniform (30.2%).

7. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The assessment of "we prematurely got rid of him because of one bad stretch" is just not true.

First of all, the so called first season of 480 he got is just a 5 games sample. If you really want to check his stats, check the 3 full seasons he have done in the NBA.

Even though he had a high % of 3s last season in the Hornets, actually he is playing better this year in the Grizs, otherwise why do you think the Hornets will let him go?

He has decent numbers on 3s, but he isn't really a "pretty consistently good shooter". Do you notice that his FG% is actually lower than his 3s FG%? And he is not a guy that really can create his own shoot either, he has almost zero ability to go to the paint to score and his FTA is so low.

He is what he is, a one dimensional 3 pointer shooter (which is decent at this of course) but has nothing else to offer.

He does not suit the Rockets because he is lacking what Bev/Gordon/Ariza/even Brewer or Thorthon can do, which at least can penetrate to the basket.

8. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

this kid can straight up shoot, i hope we can get him back , would definitely help, instant offense off the bench

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am not sure if we actually disagree. I don't miss him like some other posters do. While I believe he's a very good shooter, he doesn't do much else well.

Yes, he didn't shoot well as a Rocket that season, and continued to struggle at Minny. But he finally got back his shooting when he got to Charlotte. And he has been shooting very well the next two seasons, and this season so far. So I'd say, if he was let go because we thought he couldn't shoot based on a stretch of his sophomore season, then yes that was premature. But if we let him go because he simply wasn't a very good player other than shooting, then I have no gripe about it. Whether Brewer is a better overall player than Daniels is another topic. But in terms of shooting, there is really no argument who is better.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't call a .422 career 3p shooting just "decent." If .422 was just decent, then Harden's numbers would have to be called "indecent," no? ;)

Yes, he is a one dimensional player. Nobody is arguing against it. Like I said to stedd, you are barking up the wrong tree.

Just for the record, my post was responding merely to stedd's comment about Daniels' numbers. So I looked up the numbers and showed them.

#70 Easy, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  11. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Memphis can tolerate a bad defensive player off the bench because the defensive support around him is there, we can't.

If he played with Bev, nobody is creating shots. If he played with Harden/Gordon, then nobody is playing any defense.