1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Troy Daniels about to show the world that he is on Steve Novak's level

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://grantland.com/features/nba-dleague-rgv-vipers-houston-rockets-future-of-basketball/

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I still remember picking up Troy Daniels when he was a Pacer on a whim from the waiver wire for my Fantasy team and crushed my league that year because of his bonus rebounding and 3 point shooting.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I meant Troy Murphy. I have no idea who Troy Daniels is.

2 people like this.
  4. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

I don't get it. If he is such a good shooter he must suck in everything else to not be signed by any team until now. :confused:

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

He's a 6'4-6'5" SG who can hit threes but probably won't be very effective at creating shots for himself or others at the NBA level. Not a terribly scarce commodity.

That said, Daniels had a decent reputation as a defender coming out of college. If he can become an Anthony Morrow-type while playing acceptable defense, he'll be able to help the team in the future.

6. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I don't get it either, he only shoots slightly better than Parsons, while playing against inferior competition. All he does is shoot a lot more. I'd be more excited if he was shooting in the high 40's or low 50's. That's what it takes for the one-trick ponies like Novak to be in this league. Novak is six inches taller and hasn't gotten minutes the majority of his career. Then again, this wouldn't be the first time Morey knew something I didn't.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Daniels takes WAY more 3pt attempts than Parsons, so even if they hit the same % that means Daniels is significantly better. While it's true Parsons is playing against much better competition, it's also true that Parsons faces far less defense than Daniels does. It sort of evens out.

Also, if Morey signed him to a contract that likely means other teams were in fact gearing up to sign him. Looks like he can be a solid backup 2 in the future, especially if it's true that he played decent defense in college.

8. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I don't agree. Daniels has had the benefit of playing with Canaan and Covington, who are both dominating the D-League every bit as much as Howard and Harden are the NBA.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Rockets are built around scoring at the hoop and at the 3pt line. The Rockets are currently 18th in 3pt% at 35%. Troy Daniels not only shoots mostly 3's, but he made almost 40% of them at RGV.

I don't care if he brings a matador's cape onto the court... as long as he is making threes...

10. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Hopefully,, he'll replace both Casspi and Garcia in the three pointers made category. I mean, it can't be hard this season right?

11. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Why don't we just sign a 60 year-old Larry Bird. I'm sure he'll bring his cape and hit over 40%.

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes, but as an offensive option, Daniels is a slightly bigger part of the Vipers than Parsons is of the Rockets. Parsons is a guy who feeds off Howard and Harden. Daniels takes 13 3's a game. Granted, RGV take a lot more shots than the Rockets, but certainly Daniels' role on offense is greater than Parsons' on the Rockets.

Daniels takes roughly 13 3pt attempts per game. Parsons takes 4.7 attempts.

To hit 40% of 13 attempts per game is insane, even in the D-League.

To hit 40% of 4.7 attempts is excellent, but not special in the NBA.

A great example is Stephen Curry, who is clearly a superior 3pt shooter to Parsons. He only shoots 1% better. But he takes almost twice the number of attempts and is more of an offensive focal point. Last season Parsons took .5 more attempts than this season, and his % was lower > perhaps an indication that his efficiency peaks at about 5 attempts per game.

I don't know how else to illustrate that averaging over 40% of 13 3pt attempts is historically noteworthy, even though it's in the D-League. Morey compares him to Steve Novak - Novak is maybe on of the best 3pt threats of this generation.

Not to mention of course, Parsons has been a starter in the NBA for 2+ seasons. He could only hit 34% of 2.8 attempts when he was a rookie. That speaks volumes for Daniels. If he can hit 40% of 13 attempts in the D-League at this stage of his career, it looks like he has an excellent chance of being a solid NBA player.

13. Nook

Nook Member

#1 When you shoot 14 threes a night, it is very hard to have a high percentage. When you take that many you are taking some harder shots. Therefore he is a better overall three point shooter.
    #2 Novak is taller but his release is slower and Daniels shoots high on his release making it very hard to stop his shot. Meh should be able to get his shots off against the NBA defender.
    #3 Daniels runs the floor better than Novak, finishes better and defensively is not as limited.

14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Why is everyone so excited I doubt this guy cracks rotation, I just can't see Mchale doing that though I hope he proves me wrong anyone who takes minutes from Casspi or Garcia is welcomed.

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Daniels shoots 3s from Curry land (ie, almost 4 pointers out there :p)

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

From the highlights, he doesn't seem to have spots. It seems like it doesn't matter where he is shooting from.

17. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Simple. He's not available.

:grin:

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Says the team that doesn't shoot three pointers and try to space the floor with shooters.

#18 dobro1229, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  19. makio9

makio9 Member

He likely isn't about to show anything because he won't play. Come on man, nobody ever plays. Didn't you cotton on yet?

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Steve Novak doesn't play much either. So Daniel not playing is also him showing the world that he is on Novak's level.