1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TROPICS] 2013 Hurricane Season

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LonghornFan, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Hoping for some moisture from the system to go in our direction! So tired of this summer already.

2. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

It is formed. This should become Ingrid soon.

[​IMG]

3. Lady_Di

[​IMG]

Going to be really bad for Mexico if this pans out. :eek: 1-2 inches for poor Texas.

4. conquistador#11

Is it just me or is this september one of the hottest in recent history? my energy bill is going to be about the same as august. for comparison, i could walk my dog comfortably at 5 am in the morning at 71 degrees. it's like 78 when i go out at 5 am! <<he mad.

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

It seems like every other September to me. We needed the rain, but not today! I just had my car fully waxed, clay barred and detailed. I got a whole 20 minutes of enjoyment out of it and then it flooded for an hour.

6. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Intense drought in Brazil this year seemed to really slow down tropical cyclone genesis by spreading dry air over the Atlantic basin. Also, downward convection really suppressed convective moisture.

7. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Sorry, downward atmospheric motion. Not downward convection.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

http://blog.chron.com/weather/2013/09/another-gulf-storm-possible-by-late-this-week/?cmpid=hpbn

Another Gulf storm possible by late this week
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013

It’s looking increasingly likely that another tropical storm will form soon in the Gulf of Mexico.

The National Hurricane Center says a system now moving over the Yucatan Peninsula has a 60 percent chance of developing into a tropical depression or storm during the next five days.

The track for this system is a little more uncertain than the westerly one we just experienced with Hurricane Ingrid, which plowed westward into Mexico. Although it’s possible this system, dubbed Invest 95L, will move along a mostly westerly track into Mexico, it’s not a sure thing.

If it does move west it will exacerbate the destruction already caused in central Mexico from Ingrid and Manuel, where mudslides have killed more than three dozen people.

However the eventual track of this system could be complicated by a frontal system that’s expected to work its way into Houston this weekend, providing a good chance of rain on Friday and Saturday, and perhaps some slightly cooler weather early next week.

This changing flow pattern over the United States and northern Gulf of Mexico — in addition to weak steering currents in the southern Gulf — may act to pull the system north by the weekend, and eventually northeast toward Florida or the northern Gulf of Mexico coast, if it hasn’t moved inland into Mexico.

The bottom line is this: Forecasting the evolution of as-yet undeveloped tropical storms, which lack strong steering currents, is iffy at best.

For now let’s hope for some much-needed rain on Friday and Friday night, and then see where this system goes.

9. conquistador#11

^slightly cooler weather? 89 instead of 95? I'll take that! :)

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Was at my older boy's football game last night and it felt great...nice breeze

11. Lady_Di

[​IMG]

I'll believe it when I see it! :eek:

12. LonghornFan

Yup, I have so much vacation left I'm just gonna take Friday off so I don't have to drive in the 5mph traffic on the freeway and I'd rather not be stuck away from home due to flooding. Rain, movies and vape. Gonna be a good day.

13. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^^ Do these models all take different drugs?!?! WTH? They're all over the map. :p WTRHWF?

15. LonghornFan

One model predicts a pull to the NE due to a cold front. One pulls more north as it believes the trough will not be strong enough or the storm will not be developed enough to move poleward. The others think nothing will pull it towards the Gulf Coast and it will just sit out there for a long time. Every model has a different guidance that they run off of. Wunderground.com has excellent details on each.

16. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

The models have changed. Does it look like they are shifting more to the north, our way now?

17. Lady_Di

Me likey!

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

What's the scoop on TS Karen?

20. LonghornFan

The front coming down is going to push it east towards the Florida panhandle. There's a lot of dry air and shear coming into it so the NHC gives it only a 20% chance of becoming a hurricane.