1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tropic Thunder [will this be one of the funniest movies ever?]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Oski2005, Mar 6, 2008.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I thought it was funny, very funny in several parts
    Heroin bat, the fake trailers
    and that Robert Downey Jr was incredible (the old "you don't even realize it's him" litmus test).

That said, I don't think this ranks that high among all-time comedies. Don't see myself rewatching it on cable like Old School, Animal House, or Wedding Crashers.

I didn't find Tom Cruise to be even remotely funny. I'm sure he expected to be a major scene stealer and get some credibility back as a draw, but I thought his scenes were dull at best.

I know a lot of groups are majorly offended by the Simple Jack stuff. I thought it was an overblown perceived slight going in, but left thinking they had a pretty legit gripe. Didn't upset me, but I could see why it did upset others.

Evan

2. Nero

Nero Member

Apparently a lot of people have no idea what satire is.

3. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Wow. Apparently you didn't see the same movie I did. Did you get the PG version?

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those groups are being silly. It wasn't a comment in anyway of different disabilities, handicaps, mental or physical conditions. It was a comment on Hollywood films more than anything.

5. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

i loved the 'get back' credits...... superb, i got really into it

baby toss, hilarious
    director death, hilarious
    butt juice, hilarious
    YOU GREW HANDS?, hilarious
    ...lance, i mean nance!, hilarious
    'i killed one of my favorite things in the world'...'you killed a hooker?', hilarious

no, not one of the funniest movies ever, but it's definitely a good movie

6. lpbman

lpbman Member

If Tom Cruise doesn't dance, this movie is a total flop for me.

7. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Just got back from the matinee. A pretty good comedy. Not one of the top all-time comedies, but an 8/10 nonetheless.

#87 TMac640, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  8. TMac640

I could easily see where they would get offended. I mean I've got a very dark sense of humor, so I don't care. Still though, lol.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why? The Simple Jack character isn't a comment on any kind of disability though.

10. TMac640

No it's not. Although I'd imagine anyone with mental disabilities would be just a litttttlllleeee bit offended, lol.

11. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

We got some Booty Sweat here at ESPN 97.5

It tastes pretty good...Grape flavor

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

saw it a few days ago.. ridiculously good. I think when I see it again (rented or whatever), it'll be even funnier cause there are a lot of things to catch in this one.

(and since people seem to be comparing the 2...I liked the 1st half or 2/3 of pineapple express...then it seemed to drag and get stupid.. so overall, i thought it was ok, with a hilarious first 60%)

13. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

They wouldn't get it. They go full r****d. OK, sorry, going to a bad place for that one.

I really enjoyed the movie. I haven't laughed that much during a movie in a very long time. Half of the time I was laughing b/c every time Robert Downey Jr. would talk, my wife would say, "what did he say?"

hahahah!

14. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

There's a link, but I could only find the trailer. Anyone find the full mockumentary?

Get Tropic Thunder Mockumentary Rain of Madness, Free on iTunes

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/08/tropic-thunde-1.html

By Jenna Wortham EmailAugust 25, 2008

The fictional downpour unleashed in Ben Stiller's big-budget action satire Tropic Thunder continues with Monday's free release of a mockumentary called Rain of Madness on iTunes.

Equal parts Heart of Darkness and Spinal Tap, Rain of Madness delivers hilarious "behind-the-scenes" footage from the spoof of a Vietnam war epic touted as "the biggest war film ever."

Madness supplements Thunder's send-up of Hollywood stereotypes with pseudo-interviews with the amusingly inept cast and crew, including off-the-wall sessions with Robert Downey Jr. playing Aussie megastar Kirk Lazarus and Jack Black as drug-addicted celeb Jack Portnoy.

"It's a black hole of metaness," Justin Theroux, co-writer of Tropic Thunder and director of Madness, told Wired.com about the faux documentary. "In retrospect, we didn't capture any 'making of' footage that wasn't fake so we could probably even do a third shoot for a real documentary."

Determined to continue the Hollywood roast, Theroux stars as comically idiotic German documentarian Jan Jürgen, who narrates Madness.

"We were inspired by the endless DVD commentary on war movies," said Theroux. "There's always this sort of arrogant attitude that movie-making is a lot like war -- but you're not going to die and you're not killing anyone -- so by that definition alone, it's not like war."

Madness has a punchier, off-the-cuff rawness that comes off as almost funnier than the one-liners delivered in Thunder -- a side effect Theroux attributes to capturing actors still in character and encouraging them to ad-lib during the interviews and vignettes shot on the set of Thunder.

Keep an eye out for tidbits like Portnoy's (played by Jack Black) early career starring in a Knight Rider-spoof and a lengthy subplot of a wild-eyed Robert Downey Jr. (in character as Lazarus) holding crew members hostage.

Theroux says the only real regret from the film -- which spawned protests from disability activist groups over the repeated use of the word r****d -- was that the film only had two hours of gags. Luckily, fans may soon be able to see the jokes that ended up on the cutting-room floor.

"We could burn through an entire reel of the riffing, definitely," said Theroux. "I think a 'Redux' or a director's cut is in the works."

#94 Faos, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

How can I watch that without having to DL or see or ever deal with iTunes?

16. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I saw it this past weekend. Hilarious. Funniest movie of the year...although I don't watch many movies in the theater. I also think it bears repeated watching to catch all the jokes (I didn't realize Jack Black said "Load and lock" until someone mentioned it behind me).

I think Stiller is great despite much of the crap he's been in in recent years. I've been on the bandwagon since the Ben Stiller show and I'm glad to see he's back to writing and acting in his own thing with his sensibilities.

17. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I liked it, but not as good as I had self hyped it up to be based on the premise and the R rated trailer. It will be funny of the mockumentary turns out better than the film.

18. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Am I missing something? The article I linked to above talks about a full mockumentary available, but I can only find the trailer. It said it was going to be released today.

19. El Toro

El Toro Contributing Member

"Check it out. Dustin Hoffman, 'Rain Man,' look r****ded, act r****ded, not r****ded. Count toothpicks to your cards. Autistic, sure. Not r****ded. You know Tom Hanks, 'Forrest Gump.' Slow, yes. r****ded, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and won a ping-pong competition. That ain't r****ded. You went full r****d, man. Never go full r****d."

20. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Man that was hilarious.

I keep dying on the part where he's yelling at the younger kid about books and scripts, telling him to spit it out. His face goes from what looks like he's trying to not laugh to a serious mad look...freaking hilarious man.

Also when they "cut" from the crying scene, and when the director says "action," he starts drooling right away, hahahaha.

It's all so slap stick, but man, I was rollin'.