1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tropic Thunder [will this be one of the funniest movies ever?]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Oski2005, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Nero

Nero Member

Saw this last night with my wife.

She has been busy a lot lately, so she had no real good idea of what we were about to see, and I told her 'Good, that's the way you want to go in to see this movie.'

Right from the very first moment it 'starts', this movie smacks you right in the face.

It would be almost impossible to do a decent review of this movie without spoiling it, so I can't say too much.

I will say only this, the one thing in the movie I did *not* care for, and, therefore, by reverse-engineering, you can safely assume that EVERYTHING else in the movie is about as close to a perfect Hollywood comedy as you will ever see.

The one thing in the movie I did not care for: Steve Coogan. Who is this guy, and how did he get in movies? Dude sticks out like a sore thumb among all the excellent performances. Bad casting. Everyone else? Pure top shelf.

Nicest thing about it when it was over? It was surprising how well every single character got plenty of time in this movie. Nobody was short-changed, nobody was pushed aside. Every one of them got their chances to shine.

Great comedy. Highly recommended.

2. DUCK2324

DUCK2324 Contributing Member

OMG I just got back from see this.

Ass juice commercial in the beginning was hilarious

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

just got back from seeing pineapple express and tropic thunder back to back and while pineapple express let me down (half-decent but nothing special), tropic thunder was friggin' hilarious. from the trailers right at the beginning, it gets off to a good start and doesn't let down. every character is funny, and they manage to be over the top without just being stupid and detracting from the movie.

the director blowing up was so unexpected that it took everyone a while to figure out that it really happened. jack black describing the bj he would give to alpa if he untied him had me rolling. and alpa offering someone a Bust-a-Nut bar out in the jungle when they were hungry was a great small moment. tom cruise talking to the militants was great and then he was even kind of chilling when describing why tugg could die. seeing who "lance" was was a nice touch as well.

a ton of laugh out loud moments, definitely highly recommended.

yeah no one was really off camera for too long and everyone and it didn't just feel like they were being forced to give them time when they were on. really well done.

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

the dudes are emerging!!
    <br>
    EL OH EL

5. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I really enjoyed this movie. I havent laughed at a movie in a long time. Robert Downey was great and I didnt even know Tom Cruise was in this movie. One of the funniest movies this year.

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The Tom Cruise character was overrated. There was all this talk about how great he is in it before the movie came out and I didn't see it. It was just Tom Cruise in a costume yelling and cursing.

#66 Oski2005, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  7. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

My response is more tempered. I thought Robert Downey Jr. was spectacular and Tom Cruise was great as well. I thought the rest except for a moment or two here and there was just barely okay. Jack Black was awful.

The movie is worth watching just for Downey Jr. and Cruise.

8. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Am I the only one that thinks this movie was awful???

Had a couple of LOL moments but not that many.

9. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

I thought the movie was awful as well, id give it a 5.5/10 just solely for RBD's performance. I dunno, the jokes were nothing special, they tried to hard. It was mostly those corny jokes. Pineapple Express was a lot better than this, not even close.

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

This is the movie that finally unseated 'The Dark Knight' from the top box office spot.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this movie had so many moments that were absolutely hilarious. It was great. There were a lot of them that were over the top, but some that were just more subtle and verging on social satire kinds of humor which I love.

The Robert Downey Jr. scene at the end when they are talking about what he fears and he looks in the mirror was absolutely hilarious. So was the scene from Happy Jack movie where Stiller is running through the field laughing and swatting at butterflies with a sledge hammer. Some of the people I was with didn't even catch that because it went by so quick. Other little special touches that made the movie great were that the demolitions guy was showing off his lost finger but he also had burn scars on his ear and the side of his face.

Where Ben Stiller was going Kurtz was funny too, and then the turn around on that where Half-Squat was on his back stabbing him after he went back was awesome.

Downey's performance was great, and the whole movie was put together
    very nicely and smartly. It seemed inspired from start to finish, which is good because it seems like Stiller was getting into a rut for a while. This movie had humor very much in line with his series which was awesome.

12. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

I'm completely with you. There were a few funny moments, but overall not very good. Roberty Downey, JR was pretty funny for a while, but by the end it got old. Tom Cruise was pretty funny the whole time, but overall I wasn't so impressed. I thought Pineapple Express was far funnier than this movie.

13. Astro101

Astro101 Member

I thought it was very good.

And I thought so long and hard until it hit me halfway through, TOM CRUISE! And even at the end some people in the back where like, "that was Tom Cruise?!?" I guess I can appreciate his acting sometimes and not be reminded that he's a nut.

Trailers were hilarious. MTV's Best Kiss...

14. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Tom Cruise is in this movie?

15. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

Yeah, he plays a supporting role - a very non Tom Cruise role for him. It was funny seeing him do something outside the box for him.

16. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Since Clutch loved this movie you will be banned from this forum immediately.

:cool:

17. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

Tom cruise was hilarious!

18. bmthint

bmthint Member

I was surprised that he was almost listed as an afterthoughts in the credits.

19. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

I found the movie ok, it's not the funniest movie I've seen and Pineapple Express may have been funnier (I really liked James Franco's Character)

Downey Jr. was awesome in the movie and there were SOOOO many cameo's

When the rapper guy said Lance, I couldn't believe he meant Lance Bass

The kid stabbing Stiller was one of the funniest parts in the movie

The trailers were hilarious...the Ass Juice trailer came on first and we were like "WTF?!? That can't be real, can it?"

But I think it was pretty offensive, which I think they were going for...there was a black couple sitting in front of us and they really looked like they were having a bad time...they didn't laugh at all and they were slumped down in their chairs...

20. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

This song has been stuck in my head since the movie.

NSFW lyrics

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JGBR272672M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JGBR272672M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>