1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tropic Thunder [will this be one of the funniest movies ever?]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Oski2005, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Or Eddie Murphy, or Martin Lawrence...

2. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

or Michael Jackson

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

this is going to replace zoolander as my favorite ben stiller movie. i just know it. and man, i love zoolander.

4. DreamRoxCoogFan

Its worth the hype, man.

And fyi, I walked in there without the expectation of being offended. In fact, the racism issue is discussed within the movie. I mean thats kinda the whole point- that Robert Downey Jr. is playing a black guy. They are making fun of stunts like that (in an extreme way) and Hollywood in general.

5. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

6. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

As one of the resident black posters on clutch fans, which makes me about 40% of all black posters on here, i am not offended by downey's performance (from what i've seen from the trailers).

I'd rather see a white actor playing the part of an actor as a black man than a white actor playing their (directors/writers) view of what a black man should be like.

The same was the case with White Chicks. They portrayed the role of the two white women in the movie, not their own view of how white women should act.

I would have to admit that from the trailers it is the most realistic looking makeup on a non-black person.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm black and White Chicks offended me . . .ok . . most Wayons Movies offend me but that is not the point
    I am reserving Judgement on this movie until I've seen it

It is not about this movie . . but the history of 'black-face'
    that puts folx like me on edge
    MAMMY!! MAMMY!!MAMMY!! - type *****

I am also concerned about the slippery slope
    This may not be so bad . . . but I have to worry about it
    when it gets worse and worse until it ends up in the hands of a Tom Green
    or something . .. then I might have to kick the ***** out of him

Rocket River

8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

2.5 black people? So it's you, Batman Jones, and a midget?

9. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The movie is great. I left thinking that it was funnier than Zoolander. All of the cast were at the top of their game. You don't get the same routine from Stiller and Black that you usually get.

Tom Cruise might have stolen the movie with his performance as an ******* Hollywood producer.

Go check it out when you can guys.

#49 Brando2101, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  10. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Out tomorrow. Not sure when I'll get to see it though. I'm expecting big things.

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

just came back from the midnight showing at First Colony, OMG, this blew my low expectations of it. This really caught me off guard as at first I really didn't care about it, the first trailer it was "meh" to me, but after seeing the R rated trailer, I knew I had to see it. Everybody was top notch, and you REALLY NEED to pay attention what the hell Robert Downey is saying throughout the movie.

Was disappointed that even Tom Cruise had as big of role in the movie as Jack Black. Kinda funny how they advertised him as second and Downey as third billing and they didn't even change it after Iron Man's success.

Loved the hidden "Kung Fu Panda" reference since both were Dreamworks Released.

This movie will be the next movie that will be quoted everyday and be another cult classic

"Lance"

"Lance?"

"I mean Nance"

"I think I heard a Nance, What kind of girl's name is Lance?"

classic stuff

12. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Tropic Thunder

Just saw this movie ... oh my god is sooooo funny!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didnt even know Tom Cruise was in it too

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There is a thread for this. Anyways. Me either. I thought it was Jamie Kennedy until he started yelling. Yelly TC is unmistakable.

14. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

i posted my review in the other thread

just came back from the midnight showing at First Colony, OMG, this blew my low expectations of it. This really caught me off guard as at first I really didn't care about it, the first trailer it was "meh" to me, but after seeing the R rated trailer, I knew I had to see it. Everybody was top notch, and you REALLY NEED to pay attention what the hell Robert Downey is saying throughout the movie.

Was disappointed that even Tom Cruise had as big of role in the movie as Jack Black. Kinda funny how they advertised him as second and Downey as third billing and they didn't even change it after Iron Man's success.

Loved the hidden "Kung Fu Panda" reference since both were Dreamworks Released.

This movie will be the next movie that will be quoted everyday and be another cult classic

"Lance"

"Lance?"

"I mean Nance"

"I think I heard a Nance, What kind of girl's name is Lance?"

classic stuff

EDIT: looks like it was merged, so yea, my bad for the double reviews :)

#54 Dave2000, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

After being totally let down by the humor in Pineapple Express ("Hey look, I'm stoned!"), my faith in comedies has been restored. This movie was hysterical... After IronMan and now this, Robert Downey Jr. is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors. He was hilarious in this one -- anyone else and this probably isn't near as good.

"I'm a lead farmer, motha****a!"

16. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Saw this today and loved it. So many classic lines. Another one of those movies you need to see again to get everything. I had a hard time understanding Downey Jr at times. It was great to see Stiller with a good kick ass comedy again.

The cameo stole the show.

17. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

"If you untie me I will literally suck your dick!"

18. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I saw this movie today and was pretty amused by it. I think it's held back from being completely great because in a lot of ways the movie is what it is making fun of.

19. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

[will this be one of the funniest movies ever?]

Funnier than "Don't be a menance to society while drinking your juice in the hold"? current funniest movie ever.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He is Tony Stark as far as I am concerned. RDjr better host at least 2 SNLs this upcoming season. I might actually watch one.