1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tristan Thompson sexual harassment

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by downbytheriver, Oct 20, 2014.

?

Should silver come down hard

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. Don't care about sexual harassment unless there is penetration

51 vote(s)
    59.3%
  1. downbytheriver

Nah, I think it's obvious she's uncomfortable by it just based on the fact he's not taking her seriously at her work place. She's a pro and isn't showing it. I realize this board is full of young, clueless boys who don't really "get it" but it's much worse than Naismith.. .seeing how he was just a retired guy on the sidelines whereas this guy is currently an employed professional. I don't care about on court celebrations, taunting, trash talk... that's all part of the game. But letting this slide means chauvinism and sexism just aren't a precedent for the NBA. They'll obviously wait for a pissed of employee to make a sexual assault tape to come out before doing anything about it (see: Sterling).

Small punishment goes a long way. You know if social media picked up on it Silver would do something.

2. downbytheriver

Lol, you're cluelessness is on full display the more you post.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Publicly as a cleveland sideline reporter, you can't really criticize a rich paul client, you just can't because the power in that organization, even above the owner at this point, rests in that group.

But the nba will probably investigate it separately and any action will probably reflect her perception without her perception of the incident being involved.

4. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

And as far as "supporting women's rights" and objectifying women, the NBA and sports in general doesn't do a great job of that. Its the sports world "manly" culture.

Goes all the way down to cheerleaders....has anyone ever complained about that? no because its so instilled in our society we've come to normalize it. But what you have are women with t*** and a$$ going around and doing stuff you see in close to a strip club.

Women doing slutty moves, (pretty much in a bra and panties) in front of a crowd to please men.

Sorry, but sports and female subjectification go hand in hand.

1 person likes this.
  5. downbytheriver

Don't you get it? If said reporter makes a big deal out of it, it's going to hurt her career. Players get pissed, management gets annoyed, and she's slowly cut out of the loop. Women really are in a tough spot in these situations professionally. And it happens A LOT. Punishment should be handed out regardless of what she says.

6. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

It was inappropriate... Some old white dude being interviewed by an attractive reporter obviously wouldn't be able to do that.

I wouldn't compare it to Kobe's past situation though. That's ridiculous.

Another factor is did she have a very friendly relationship with him prior to him doing that so it wasn't out of nowhere.

7. downbytheriver

yeaup- you get it.

8. downbytheriver

Not really. It's her job to be friendly with the players. If they had an actual relationship, which is fine by me, this wouldn't have happened. This is sexual harassment and needs to be treated as such. When guys start to get it, i.e., see things from a PROFESSIONAL female in this situation, it's pretty absurd to think this behavior is fine. This happens all the time behind the scenes, especially in sports, so to make things more welcoming to PROFESSIONAL women, an example needs to be set.

9. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

100% CORRECT, because she would probably be creeped out if some "old white dude" said the same exact thing to her.

RIVER BOY- obviously you agree with me that if it was the other way around...a girl saying this to a guy it wouldn't be a big issue.
    Also this is a gender issue, not a racial...you making into one makes me think you're mad at him doing that because he's black.

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

so sensitive guys here..

They can read minds ,expose hidden feeling....cute pumpkins

11. dback816

dback816 Member

Are you sure you're not projecting?

12. rockets13champs

U need to chill bro

13. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

A reprimand is appropriate. Say a $2,000 fine(like a technical foul) and a public apology. $1.75 million and 15 games is more of an injustice than what he did.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

There's a fairly good chance that action taken will impact management the league over, the value of the investments is just too lopsided, couple that wioth the owners often living under lawyer suggestion to never be alone in a room with a woman so as to protect themselves from lawsuits, they're not exactly the most sympathetic group regardless of what their public face may say.

Now I have no idea how she perceived it (her perception changes it a lot), but on just the basis of what we saw, the opening position is really no different to the popovich hug, odd but harmless.

15. soupman

soupman Member

It seems to me it is up to the reporter to complain, then the league should consider the merits of the complaint. Clearly, the act was sophomoric and awkward. By the way, do you folks remember when Rafer Alston kissed Carl Landry during a game? Landry's reaction was priceless. If someone has a GIF of that I would like to see it again.

16. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Some of you guys should open a new business like physic reading down by the river.

Your arguments are based on what exactly --- assumptions.

17. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

*psychic

18. yo

yo Contributing Member

He ain't on Rampage Jackson's level.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kYmYA4ZPsIM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. dback816

dback816 Member

I don't think anyone cares about the peck on the cheek (forehead? temple?) that much but the "wink wink I am totally implying we are sleeping together teehee" was definitey stupid to do on TV, by a noname athlete no less.

If the reporter do go on to complain, I'd imagine 1/3 of this thread would be calling her racist while another 1/3 calls her an uptight SJW manhater.

20. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol at this atrocious OP. I saw no harm in what he did. If it did bother her then he should have to apologize. That should be the end of it. Definitely didn't see him "imply he slept with her"