1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Trip down memory lane] Our beloved owner, Leslie Alexander

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, May 19, 2016.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Have people really said you were wrong on that? Haha, this is something we should all agree on! Les is beyond frustrating on this ****.

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, excellent point, it's sad when a franchise that was responsible for having the player that almost killed you (not blaming Lakers, but Kermit obviously), has more ****ing respect for you than the franchise you brought chips to and your number is even retired at. At least Rudy is a hero in Houston, even if Les ****ed him over.

Also not sure if it was brought up, but cheap ass Les had nothing to do with fixing Hakeem relationship or the team in 94. He inherited a fixed team, gets rid of Patterson, and then after Hakeem is done let's him out for peanuts to go play in Toronto. I don't understand why Hakeem didn't get to finish in Houston, thanks Les. ****ing Kobe and Duncan are one franchise players, Hakeem deserved to be one, way to go!! Without Hakeem what does Houston have, the Comets and soccer??? Hahah. Yes Astros and Oilers/Texans count but... We're taking professional championships. At least Les can't **** that up.

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

That'd be a nice change.

4. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

For me, Hakeem is one of those players who you bite the bullet on and do what it takes to let him finish his career and retire as a Rocket... I still get mad thinking about that. :mad:

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly.
    No championship was at stake when hakeem was at the end of his career.

Same with kobe, but the fans got a chance to appreciate him.

6. choujie

choujie Member

Nothing new. Les always pretend to win at any cost, but in reality he only cares about Money, making money saving trades at deadline all the time.

7. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice profile. Thanks for pulling it together.

8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I still believed with Francis and Mobley...

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I didn't see the light until the classless way they treated JVG on departure. Interviewing his replacement before firing him. Offering him a BS consultant position for his silence. Pathetic owner.

10. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I didn't diss Rudy, and I don't consider anything sacred. And online chest-puffing is both hilarious and somewhat pathetic.

Rudy was amazing for the Rockets and a beloved figure that I respect and appreciate, but he wasn't a coach that could take any team and improve it.

There are MANY MANY MANY people in this world who may not achieve the highest level of success for the same reason.

Please get over it... for the sake of a rational conversation.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This is a player's league and organizations build reputations. Yes, it is a business, but to that end requires the ability to showcase your franchise. The rockets were lucky to win a ring. That netted them some prestige for a while, but what it turned into was "I'm the one responsible and don't really need you guys" from Les. Everybody. Everybody..that has left here has left on bad terms. Your HOF coach and HOF player didn't even retire here. We have an arrogant owner that treats his staff and employees, including players, like crap.

You can argue against me all you want, but his portrayal wont change and is the reason for the results you see and will be seeing.

12. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I just don't like owners in general. They're no more qualified to make bball decisions than any of us; yet, they are making the final word on OUR team - the CITY'S team.

They paid the money to buy the team. So, yes, they get all the profits they're due. As such, they also get to make all the business decisions - ticket pricing and all that.

But my dream would be for the basketball decisions - coaches, GM, etc. - be made by a Board of knowledgeable representatives of the local fanbase.

13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Great read OP!
    I'm probably going to lose sleep over this but...

Mark Cuban>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Leslie (Scrooge) Alexander! :(

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

They also benefit from the city itself, "A city's team" is enough popularity and goodwill. Didn't Les use the city's money for the TC?

15. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That money is key to the business model in U.S. major sports. But make no mistake. It isn't "the city's team." It is Les Alexander's team and NBA license and the City of Houston has the privilege of partnering with/subsidizing the team and the NBA to have an NBA franchise in the city like, say, Seattle.

Alexander and the NBA can take their team away when their lease with the TC is up.

Alexander's behavior over the years cuts through the romanticism of "our city, our team" and just makes the "his business" so much more clear.

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yall better be careful and not piss off Leslie Adams, err I mean Bud Alexander, or he'll take his team and move. Just sayin' .

17. tinman

Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nITdAY25jZQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Jerry Buss , if he was owner of the Rockets, would never sacrifice these 2 guys who brought eternal glory to save some money on rebuilding years with Steve Francis

The Spurs would never do that to Duncan or Robinson

Never

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hear about the relationship between Rudy Tomjanovich and <a href="https://twitter.com/DR34M">@DR34M</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ClutchCity?src=hash">#ClutchCity</a> <a href="http://t.co/zpd4vBlCuy">http://t.co/zpd4vBlCuy</a></p>&mdash; NBA TV (@NBATV) <a href="https://twitter.com/NBATV/status/608107826230083584">June 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

To be fair he stated in one of the Chronicle articles that the Rockets

are his Hobby and while he loves to go deep into the playoffs and win a ship,

making the playoff is key and winning seasons are of utmost imperative to him.

Hobby is a hobby, I am sure he got lots of time and money invested there but he should really look at himself and his lack of Bball knowledge

20. hvic

hvic Member

Cuban seems like an awesome owner compared to jack hoe les.