1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Trip down memory lane] Our beloved owner, Leslie Alexander

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, May 19, 2016.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

How many human beings you know worth a couple billion?

1 person likes this.
  2. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Le$ Alexander has been horrible for the Rockets.

3. OTMax

OTMax Member

He's an ******* to his staff, that tells you all you need to know. He has done every coach dirty except Rudy T, though could be wrong.

4. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The pitchfork posse hates this, so much more fun to accuse Dwight of all the problems with this team.

Leslie Alexander is a scumbag. Morey should bounce and go work for someone with integrity.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

there are plenty. problem is they won't pass the league's vetting process..

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Great post, thanks.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

What if we could JVG to come on board with the contingency that Les sell the team? You think fans would protest in the streets?

9. Buck Turgidson

I loved the story about how he tried to ban meat on the team's plane, that lasted maybe 2 days before the players said "Uh, nope."

10. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I can't think of anyone accusing Dwight that wouldn't accuse les first.

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

We need to CLEAN HOUSE for his franchise to regain respectability

- bye bye Leslie
    - bye bye Mauri
    - bye bye Toad Brown
    - bye bye fat lump Keith Jones

12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

13. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I haven't read your post, and I appreciate the effort. I will do so later this evening after work. Just a few random comments/observations - I don't know how these play into the image and person that is Les Alexander.

-It's been a long time... didn't Les repair relationships within the organization upon his arrival, which led to the championships?

-He's invested more than any NBA owner in forward-thinking strategies, infrastructure, and staff for advanced stats and Morey's work

-Clyde Drexler is on his payroll, and that can only be attributed to loyalty, because he's terrible at his job

-He regularly sits with former players including Olajuwon, Francis, and McGrady and appears to have good relationships with them. The Rockets in general seem to treat the people that made them what they are with respect

-He hasn't paid off Chuck to shut up, which I have much respect for

All that said, a D'antoni hiring is absolutely bizarre to me. It just doesn't seem to make sense on these levels:
    -Doesn't address defense, which is our biggest problem

-Doesn't address current players, which is a big problem

-Some people say our offense is ugly... maybe Les doesn't understand that we were ranked highly offensively, so he just doesn't really understand the team

-You can find ways to defend D'antoni's track record, but he simply doesn't appear to be a good coach based on W-L record. Similar to Rudy T, who was the perfect person at the right time for the Rockets, D'antoni simply appears to have been lucky in Phoenix. He can't adapt to other situations.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Les didn't repair relationships when he got here. That relationships was already fixed before the sale. We had that epic semi-final series with Seattle during Charlie Thomas last season, and Sam Cassell was drafted by Steve Patterson. Les walked into those championships.

Don't compare D'antoni to Rudy ever again. Rudy won two championships, won a gold medal, took a team with Brad Miller(before he was any good)as his best player to a Bronze medal in the world championships, and only had 2 losing seasons ever(the first year of rebuild, and the year francis was out with migraines).

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Thanks OP. While I've been criticized in the past for being apologetic to Les, I totally understand the issues with him over the years.

Most of it comes down to relationships, and being hard headed. The cheap thing I think is far down the list of concerns I have while its issue #1,2, and 3 for folks like DD.

The two things most concerning to me are the relationships, and the stubbornness (inability to realize when he's wrong & change), and I don't think the years have been kinder to him.

The D'Antoni hire just to me just really might be the lid that pops off to bring these issues to the surface.

A. It shows that he's still set in his ways & is disconnected with the style of play in the NBA that HE WANTS vs. what THE TEAM NEEDS.

B. It could open a bigger can of worms with the two most important relationships Les has left in the organization... Daryl Morey & James Harden. I don't know if Les is going to be known as the key fracture component in the Rockets/Dwight relationship but if this is the season where Houston loses both Morey & Harden (maybe not officially, but starts their exits out of tow), IMO that's all on Les.

16. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I wish Morey resigns soon, and this owner sells the team to new owner with Dream, Yao etc who are decent human being.

17. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Thanks for putting this together, steddinotayto

If he didn't do Rudy T dirty, then how come he's working for the Lakers?

IMHO, Rudy should have a job for life with the Rockets. I still scratch my head whenever I see Rudy T, the only coach to bring a championship to this city in a major sport, wearing stupid purple and gold. How embarrassing is it that the Lakers treat our championship coach with more respect that the Rockets do?!

1 person likes this.
  18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Rudy was having cancer during that time, he should have a job on the rockets.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jerry buss not only still paid rudy his 30 million after he got replaced by Phil. He stayed on as a lakers scout.

Rudy was at jerrys funeral too.

Dude actually cared about Rudy T's health .

1 person likes this.
  20. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

With all of Clutchfans powers combined...