1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tribute to The Who

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dandorotik, Jul 15, 2008.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

In honor of the upcoming tribute concert to The Who this Thursday on VH-1, I would like to include my own tribute to the band that is my own personal favorite and that must be considered in the top 5 of all time.

The Who was the true precursor to punk and grunge music. While in the shadow of The Beatles and The Rolling Stones for much of the '60s, they managed to create a body of songs recognizable not only for their musical power, but also for the whimsical, narrative lyrics that became a trademark:

"My Generation"
    "I Can See For Miles"
    "Substitute"
    "The Seeker"
    "The Kids Are Alright"
    "Pictures of Lily"
    "Boris the Spider"
    "Happy Jack"

The Who created arguably the world's 1st rock concept album in Tommy (in both music and lyrics), or at least the one recognized as such. They were the first band to use synthesizers in songs that stood the test of time (Baba O'Riley, Won't Get Fooled Again). They played at rock's landmark festivals that included Woodstock and the Monterey Pop Festival. They created a series of albums in the 70's that further defined the concept album and the album as a work of art (continuing what The Beatles started in the '60s):

Who's Next
    Quadrophenia
    The Who By Numbers
    Who Are You

They continued on despite the loss of one of the best drummers of all time in Keith Moon, creating Face Dances and It's Hard that, while perhaps lacking the power of their '70s catalog, nevertheless contained several classics that are still heard on classic radio today (You Better You Bet, Eminence Front).

Roger Daltrey is considered by many to be one of the top rock vocalists of all time, and Pete Townshend is also acknowledged as a top-tier guitarist. Yet, although they were the 2 prominent members of the group, front-and-center at every show, it is undisputed that John Entwistle is frequently cited as the best bass guitarist of all time, and Keith Moon tops the list for numerous drummers and fans as the best drummer of all time. Pete Townshend's lyrics are every bit as complex, compelling, and emotionally riveting as anything from Dylan. Yet, without Daltrey's voice, they would have never had the same impact.

Aerosmith. Lynyrd Skynyrd. Queen. The Sex Pistols. The Clash. The Ramones. David Bowie. Bruce Springsteen. U2. REM. Pearl Jam. Nirvana. The Foo Fighters. Metallica. Guns & Roses. Black Sabbath. Genesis. Jethro Tull. Green Day. Judas Priest. AC-DC. The Cars. Tom Petty. Van Halen. Oasis. Radiohead. Neil Young. The Talking Heads. The Pretenders. Rush.

They all have something in common-all have cited The Who as a deep, significant influence on their music in various respects.

Everyone should have at least one of these CDs in their collection- essential, thought-provoking music from one of the best bands of all time:

The Who Sings My Generation
    A Quick One
    Happy Jack
    The Magic Bus
    Tommy
    Live At Leeds
    Who's Next
    Quadrophenia
    The Who By Numbers
    Odds and Sods
    Who Are You
    Face Dances
    It's Hard

2. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I have a song by The Who on Guitar Hero.

I don't play it very often. :(

3. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Nice. I drank 9 cognacs with John Entwhistle once. Also, Sgt. pepper was concept before tommy. But the Who are nice, no doubt. I think the artistic asterisk with them is that Pete Townshend is really going after these gentle and frail parts of human nature lyrically, but the Who is basically a souped up frat rock band - and i mean that as a compliment. Sometimes the force of the band did not sync with the vulnerable longing of the lyrics.

Also, they hit that perfect quartet archetype: Matriarch, Patriarch, Craftsman, Clown

The Who
    Matriarch: Pete
    Patriarch: Roger
    Crafstman: Enthwistle
    Clown: Keith Moon

also:
    Beatles
    Matriarch: Paul
    Patriarch: John
    Crafstman: George
    Clown: Ringo

Seinfeld
    Matriarch: Elaine
    Patriarch: Jerry
    Crafstman: George
    Clown: Kramer

Honeymooners
    Matriarch: Alice
    Patriarch: Ralph
    Crafstman: Trixie
    Clown: Norton

Arrested Development
    Matriarch: Lindsey
    Patriarch: Michael
    Crafstman: Buster
    Clown: GOB

etc.

4. dandorotik

Wow. Excellent. Although I still say that Sgt. Pepper didn't carry the concept theme as far as Tommy did- it was more a loosely put together concept. But you're right- The Beatles certainly set standards in many areas of rock. Matriarch, patriarch, craftsman, clown- yes, interesting. In appearance, anyway. Paul was really the true craftsman of the Beatles- and I'm not sure- Costanza a craftsman?? I don't know if anyone on that show fit into that one. Good stuff.

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Two very good posts and 100% agreement here.

The Beatles, The Stones, and The Who equal the holy trinity of rock legend.

I watched the VH1 classic album feature on Who's Next last night and was re-amazed.

6. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

I'd argue G. Costanza as crasftsman only inasmuch that he was so particular about details, as are most of the others on this list, to the point of missing the big picture. but he is just as much clown, they all were.

As for Paul McCartney, i have this theory semi-baked that he was basically the Beatles post 1965. John had some unforgettable material, utterly originial. But Revolver and on, Paul dominiates. I mean, "Ballad of John and Yoko" for instance: that song is DOA in the abstract - self-involved lyrics, nothing much going on melodically... but that song frigging kicks from the get go because of the drums, piano, shakers, backups, and "feel" -- all Paul. John Lennon was pretty much out by Abbey Road, dropping by for the occasional classic like Come Together or Polythene Pam - but the real real work was Paul. White Album too - George is blooming - kinda sorta - John is in good form with I'm So Tired and Dear Prudence and Julia, but Paul is just everywhere, pitching, playing infield and outfield, and hitting and making it look a little more like a team than it actually was. Birthday, USSR, Obladi Oblada, Martha My Dear, Mother Natures Son, etc. He was untouchable. He was matriarch patriarch and craftsman by the end, which is why he became sort of reviled within the band.

Anyway, back to more Who talk. Doesn't Roget Daltrey totally disparage Kenney Jones at this point?

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Cool!!

I met him in the office at the old China Club in Hollywood back in 1990. We were both waiting to get paid.

I am a HUGE Who fan. Saw them in 1980 at the Summit, 2000 at Woodlands Pavilion, and 2006 at the Toyota Center. But my favorite was seeing Pete Townshend solo with a 15 piece backing band at the Wiltern Theatre in LA in 1993 on his "Psychoderelict" tour. Amazing show!

The Who are definitely the Godfathers of punk rock music.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Who is a good band.

9. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

robert plant>>>>roger daltrey
    jimmy page>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>townsend
    bonzo=moon
    jpj=entwhistle

you see what i'm getting at...

10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I am surprised nobody mentioned "The Who Sell Out." That's an awesome album. At their peak, they were easily the best live band in rock and roll. They blew the doors off of Led Zeppelin live. It wasn't even close.

I would also add the Kinks to the list of great British bands of the sixties.

11. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

You can't compare those two bands. They were each unique and revolutionaries in their own ways.

Zep made blues-rock popular and the Who set the stage for future 4 piece rock bands with a punk rock attitude.

But yes in terms of raw skills RP and JP were gods.

12. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

The Who were good, but better than Zeppelin...pfft....I think not. They weren't even better than Hendrix, of course not many were.

I do remember watching Townshend talk about how upset he felt that Zeppelin were bigger than the Who.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Who >>>>> Zep.

forgive me Brock.

:(

14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

The Who was my favorite band growing up. I love everything they ever did, but I think Who By Numbers is my favorite. Also love most solo Towshend. Empty Glass especially with Jools and Jim being my favorite song on it ("They don't give a **** Keith Moon is dead!") Both Scoop albums were total revelations to me, as was Rough Mix with Ronnie Lane. God that was a great album.

But the first rock opera/concept album is generally regarded to be S.F. Sorrow by The Pretty Things.

Oh, and I met Roger Daltrey in NYC. I was eating in an east village restaurant and I saw him walk into a movie trailer. We paid our bill right away and went and knocked on the door. His assistant answered and we asked if we could talk to Roger. He came to the door with a guitar in his hand, listened to us gush and just said "Cheers" over and over. It was fricking awesome.

15. BMoney

The Who were never made the records that Led Zeppelin did, but live they were the best. Compare "The Song Remains the Same" and "Live at the Isle of Wight." The Who kicked Zeppelin's ass as a live band. Up and down.

16. declan32001

declan32001 Member

You rock. Jeez and I almost always agree with you in the garm. Damn the threads that bind. :cool:

17. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

you cannot judge zeppelin's live performances off of TSRTS... go watch their self-titled double-disc dvd and get back to me.

18. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Ditto. (I have it too btw)

19. BMoney

I own it, dude. I own every Led Zeppelin album and every Who album. I have heard and seen many bootleg performances of both bands live. The Who were the best live band in rock and roll history. It's not like I think Led Zeppelin sucked live. John Bonham was the greatest drummer ever. I just think that Jimmy Page had trouble playing his parts live. The Who just had more energy and intensity live.

20. dandorotik

Jimmy Page is not that much better than Townshend. I think he's better, but not by that much. Townshend, on the other hand, was a much, much, much better lyricist than Plant. Much. Much.