1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trey Burke

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by haoafu, Jan 24, 2013.

1. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Trey-Burke-36200/

Significantly improved 2nd year PG out of Michigan. Extremely fast, good outside shooting percentage(40% from 3pt line so far on good volume of shots), great passing ability with almost 4:1 Assit/To ratio.

He's only 6' but has pretty good wingspan(6'5").

Still 20 years old even on the upcoming draft day, he's currently at #18 of first round in draftexpress mock draft.

If we miss the playoff we need to seriously consider this kid. Or if we make playoff, Morey maybe able to get a mid first rounder using our cap space. Hopefully his stock won't rise too much like Lillard did last year.

#1 haoafu, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  2. haoafu

A star in the future.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TZLBDrPm4zU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Doubt he'll stay at #18.

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Would love the to see him on the Rockets. A Burke/Harden backcourt would be exciting to watch

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

If the consensus is that he's eventually a starting point guard, then he definitely won't.

Size is a concern, but Ty Lawson is 5'11". I really like that he's efficient from long range. Drafting a PG would make a lot of sense for the Rockets, given the backup PG need and it would help to have a player who was a contrast to Lin that McHale could throw out there to mix it up.

Ideal qualities of a point guard next to Harden, in my opinion, are: Size, defensive skills, three-point shooting, solid ballhandling ability (not turnover-prone).

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Basically, Kirk Hinrich circa 2006?

7. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Lawson went #18 :)

8. King1

Burke will be a better pro then Lin

9. SK34

SK34 Member

This!

10. haoafu

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=990

11. King1

Anyone who has seen him play knows how good this kid is. He won't be around when we pick but teams would have a hell of a time game planning for a Burke/Harden backcourt. You couldn't go over or under the pick

12. fogo18182028

fogo18182028 Member

Dude look hella small, not sure how good his D is.
    Other than that looks like a promising PG.

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Huh... hadn't thought of him as a model for the spot, but yeah ... those are the qualities I would think the ideal point would have.

I think the Rockets are committed to making Lin-Harden work, for now, but if a year or so later it doesn't mesh, I would think that would be the type of player they would target.

Good point... I was going to say there were a few lottery PGs in that draft, but there should be a few in this one as well. I wonder what they thought of Lawson at that time... if he was projected as a top starter or a good backup/average starter.

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. The recent Daniel Gibson minor rumor makes some sense in that regard. He's kind of an upgraded Toney Douglas -- a little thicker to defend bigger guards on defense, and more consistent as a knockdown shooter.

The other model would be a steady Derek Fisher type (but not him!).

I'm struggling to see Lin-Harden work, though. Look at the Lakers right now -- they can't seem to make both Nash and Kobe effective. It's just hard to satisfy 2 ball dominating guards. I guess the Spurs did it, but I think Manu off the bench is what makes that system work. In general, I agree with your archetype, though I don't think size is that important. Defense and shooting with low turnovers are key though.

From what I recall, Lawson was regarded more as a potential backup, change of pace guard. I could see Burke benefiting from Lawson's success and climbing a few spots. DJ Augustin went at the back of the lottery, and I don't think he's as explosive as Burke is.

(I'm going to just type TJ Ford, Cory Joseph, and Myck Kabongo, just to make sure I list the full run of recent UT point guards in this post).

15. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

must be a pretty good 3 point shooter to be named trey

16. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Burke is not going to be one of the upper echelon PG's bue to size limitations, but he can make a nice career for himself in that group below the top guys that are currently occupied by the likes of Ty Lawson, Kemba Walker and Jrue Holiday. Burke is explosvie to the hole, with a good shot and the ability to set up his teammates. Those are key attributes you want in your PG.

17. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I was just thinking this today. Trade into the 1st round and draft him. NBADraft.net has him at #21 right now, but I imagine you'll go closer to #!5 especially with only one (possibly) PG in front of him in McCollum.

Best part about Burke is him in transition which would increase our fastbreaks even more.

18. SK34

SK34 Member

Just lighting up Indiana. Hits 3 at buzzer. Only one keeping Michigan in the game.

19. haoafu

Enjoy the game between two of my favorites.

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Burke is a monster. I like that he can drain the 3, fantastic at getting into the paint and kicking it out. Very nice skill set all the way around. His height would not scare me off from drafting him.