1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trevor Ariza is shooting 33.1% from three point range on 7.0 attempts per game this season.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by acshen, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

His 37% overall shooting is more alarming.

2. a711

a711 Member

He shoots a ton of threes. More than half of his FGA are 3PA

His True shooting percentage is 51% and EFG is 47.6%.

Looking at FG% is outdated for anyone, but it's especially meaningless in a player who takes more than half of his FGA from the three point line.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

When he hit that first shot tonight I had hope.

Which quickly turned to despair, lol.

4. Remlap

Remlap Member

So many times when Ariza pulls up on a transition 3 for instance, it seems that
    he is 'leaning forward' during his shooting motion. He's not squaring up and jumping straight up to take his shot.
    He's almost jumping towards the basket during his shooting motion. End result, CLANK....

I'm no shooting coach, but I played one on TV.

I liked the idea that I heard from Bill W regarding Josh Smith's regimen.
    Apparently coaches said if you want to make 3's, you have to make 200 of them before you leave the gym.
    Look who our best 3 point shooter is this month? That's right. Josh Smith. Sad, but true.
    Sounds like Trevor needs the same treatment, although he may miss the team flight trying to get in his 200. LOL

5. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Just wait until the playoffs. Chilllllllll:cool::eek::rolleyes::grin:...

6. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

35 percent this month, which is his highest of any months. It is only 1 part of his game though, it is just that fans here cry way too much about the little things

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yep. What makes 3Za valuable is his defense, something which will be extremely valuable come playoff time.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

What's his percentage when he sets his feet and takes a shot in rhythm instead of chucking up partially open threes? Same for Jason Terry? Those two make me sick. If you are taking a leaning 3 with 22 seconds left on the shot clock, you are messing up. Get a good shot.

9. nemac

nemac Member

He is tied for 106th with 1.08pps

10. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

people get on Terry when he misses but they love him when he makes them

he is shooting his career percentage of 38 percent from three which is what we would want. It is actually his highest three point percentage since the 06-07 season

11. a711

a711 Member

38 percent from three is good.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

His second tour of duty with the Rockets reminds me of first tour of duty with the Rockets. I was happy for him to leave the first time, I will be happy for the second. He needs to join the brick layers union. Appreciate his defensive skills, but that is about it. Can't pass, can't shoot, can't dribble.....

13. deshen

deshen Member

Wrong, everyone will focus more on defense come playoff time, which would make Ariza less valuable.

14. a711

a711 Member

Adam Wexler ‏@awexler 31s31 seconds ago
    With 1 game left in Feb, Ariza now shooting 37.8% (25-66) on 3's for the month. Would be his best 3-pt shooting (full) month this season.

1 person likes this.
  15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yep. His shooting has gotten better, people just don't realize it.

In this thread people think Ariza is a bad shooter still and in the Brewer thread people think Brewer is a "decent" 3 point shooter.

They've gone in opposite directions.

16. jogo

jogo Member

Ariza seems very streaky as a 3 point shooter- either he's 2-6 or he's 4-7 for the night.

His defense is why he's super valuable for our team. Takes a load off of Harden, guards the other team's best wing. His eFG% defense is pretty great: 45.5% against SGs, 43.6% against SFs, and 46.2% against PFs. Yeah, I'll take that!

17. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

This is my biggest problem with Terry, Ariza AND Beverley. If you are going to shoot an off-balance 3 with a hand in your face I would much rather Harden be the one to shoot it. I don't get why our role players feel the need to shoot when they are not exactly "open" or in rhythm. Just bothers the hell out of me since Harden would be a much better option in these cases.

Oh well, I know these players are needed but just wish they would be a little better with their shot selection like they were last night. Players were making the extra pass or pump fake and drive the lane and then dish out for a more open 3. There is such a thing as more open.

18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The gang, which is every shooter outside of Harden, needs to limit thier threes to the end of the clock, the corners, or situations where they're painfully wide open. They'll still shoot plenty of 3's, but they'll mostly be within the flow of fhe offense and with feet set and shoulders square. Quality shots.

I think Ariza would appear to be a much better shooter if a large chunk of his 3's weren't bad shots.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Thanks for the jinx

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

His 3 point shooting this month has at a good level, nearly 38%, and has been trending up since his horrid stretch. This despite people on this website continually saying he isn't shooting within the offense.

It's time for people to just get over it. They are shooting 3s in the offense. Very few of the 3 points shots from people not named James Harden are hand in the face, non set shots.