1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trevor Ariza is shooting 33.1% from three point range on 7.0 attempts per game this season.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by acshen, Feb 23, 2015.

1. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

he is not the problem. Beverley is not problem.

2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Truth.

No matter how many people will hate Parsons, but on this alone, there is no comparison between these two players.

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

They both are the problems.

In fact, Ariza could be even the bigger problem than Bev.

Because Bev was often compared to Harden for his inefficiency in scoring and ball handling, but Ariza was given the pass way too often, as his option will be Kpap and Brewer, whose never in Harden's level.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There's no debate that Chandler Parsons is a better offensive player than Ariza.

The question for the Rockets was is Trevor Ariza's defense + contract better for the team than Chandler Parson's offense + contract.

I still maintain the answer to that is yes.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Splits, by month:

3point %
    October: 60%
    Novemebr: 33%
    December: 28%
    January: 34%
    February: 37%

TS%
    October: 83%
    Novemebr: 50%
    December: 46%
    January: 52%
    February: 54%

He's turned around, it's just that the stink of December is so fresh for us all still that every missed shot feels like that.

I don't want to be the defender of Trevor Ariza, but I think people are blind to the fact that he has played a lot better lately. Yeah he still has a bad game here or there, but the numbers have been getting better, not worse.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but if a dude is hitting 50% from 2 (i.e. mathematical equivalent of 33% from 3) what's wrong with him taking 7 fga? You act like 7 field goal attempts is a lot but its really not, that just equates to 5 missed shots a night, it looks bad seeing 3za go 2-7 but then again how big of an impact is that when teams go 60 or more shots a night?

To me rather than Ariza the biggest problem right now is Beverly, the difference is night and day when you had Pablo as a pg...and Pablo is 37 but he looks better defensively than Beverly. Be right now is all bark no bite, guys who couldn't get pass him before are running circles around him now I think he is injured and just playing through the pain. IMHo he needs to get thoroughly examined and then get some rest for a week or so. Call up Johnson for the backup pg slot and make Pablo the starter.

7. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Not a problem if he is making them.

8. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

when he shoots in rhythm, he is fine

9. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

For a guy that makes the most money at the Mavs, Parsons has been a bust so far. his numbers are down across the board so far and remember he said he could be a star in this league..............that isn't going to happen

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

Some quick to check, what's his shooting percentage when we need him to knock down that open 3. He's been making many threes when we were already behind a lot.
    The point is he is not a good three point shooter.

11. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, but only because Ariza's contract is easier to trade.

On the court, Ariza is a negative 'asset'.

He needs to go.

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Nobody remotely intelligent about basketball would consider Parsons a potential star. He simply had too many limitations to be able to achieve that status. He is a versatile all-rounder, but did nothing at an elite level.

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. a711

a711 Member

He doesn't which is sad but also points to why for Ariza, a three pointer is the best he can do.

15. a711

a711 Member

Bev is shooting better from three, but yeah he doesn't bring a whole lot to the team.

Ariza is huuuuugely important to our team defense. We are lucky he's been healthy because if he was out for an extended period then people would truly see a ****ty defense.

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

the one thing I've noticed is that teams have crowded him a lot more than before as the season progressed. Not having Dwight there also has hurt him. But Ariza has been taking more contested 3s and has been taking more 3s in a rush. He is at his best when he is set and taking his time to shoot. Not that he needs like the 5-6 seconds sometimes Bev gets (and still misses!) but before he would get like 2-3 seconds to get off his shot and be properly set and now its like 1-2 seconds or less. You can totally tell in his release its not consistent when he is set and when he isn't set.

Right now though in conjuncture with Bev's slump teams are more willing to leave Bev open and bricking than Ariza since Ariza at least has shown that when he gets hot he can stay hot and knock down like 3-4 in a row. Bev I cant recall him having a streak of like a bunch of 3s in a row and plus Bev is like a corner 3 only type player whereas Ariza can shoot decently from all over if he starts getting hot.

As much as people dont want to always say "its all because Dwight is out" part of this is semi true. The team was constructed around both Harden and Dwight in mind not just one of them. Ariza logging so many minutes early in the season also hurt. I rather have all these guys fresh and healthy for the playoffs rather than have them play long minutes in a regular season game unless its for like securing Home court in the first round or getting a playoff birth.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, I have but one thing to say.

Told you so!

The guy is just not a well rounded player, he is a defensive stud and an offensive stiff.

DD

18. rocketmc

rocketmc Member

all those bricks kill momentum when you try to make a run...he and bev just suck. he can't even drive to the basket anymore. they both have low basketball IQ.

19. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

20. deshen

deshen Member

Ariza's 3 point FG% 33.1%
    Bev's 3 Point FG % 35.7%

Ariza's pay: >8M, Bev's pay: <1M

What is the base of your point?