1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Treadmill and Weight Sets

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I think I am going to bite the bullet and purchase a treadmill and weight set. I cannot find the time between work, school and family in order to get the gym like I want to but I know I can squeeze in these activities at home if I had the equipment. I also know that I wouldn't set it in a corner and let it collect dust, I like getting my money's worth out of things I buy.

I am turning to ClutchFans to ask the following questions:

1. Are there any treadmills you would recommend? I am currently looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/Horizon-Fitne...UTF8&qid=1359515994&sr=8-6&keywords=treadmill

2. Are there any weight sets you would recommend? I don't need anything fancy like adjustable weights, just a set to get some reps in at home.

3. Is there any regiment that you would recommend? I am not a particularly active person but between the treadmill, weights and Kinect I think I can squeeze in an efficient workout. Can I workout everyday or should I workout one day, rest and then go again with a different type of workout?

TIA

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

If I'm skinny, I wouldn't buy a treadmill.

If your big, then maybe I'll give it a try.

One of the most underrated exercises is doing sprints. Burns calories, makes you faster, do them in your backyard, and isn't time consuming.

3. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Honestly for weight sets I would check out craigslist. My buddy got a bench, rack, olympic bar, full set of weights, ez curl bar, and 2 dumbbell bars for $250

4. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Also starting a workout regiment really depends on your level of fitness right now. I generally alternate between cardio one day, weights the next and usually do 4 days on 1 day off. Just remember the best exercises are the ones you enjoy doing.

5. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

6. supdudes

supdudes Member

Why do you need a treadmill?

Just do lots of plyo and interval training. Burns fat like crazy.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They found Isaac Hayes dead next to a running treadmill. No more chocolate salty balls thanks to that thing. :(

8. Lil Pun

9. Lil Pun

Plyo and interval training? Explain please. :)

10. Lil Pun

Right now I am about 50 lbs overweight. I am 5'11'' and 235 lbs and everything I have seen says I should be around 185 lbs. As I said, I am not particularly active at the moment but looking to become more active.

11. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

for the two to three weeks I stuck with it it the workouts seemed easy enough in terms of my ability to do it. The videos are very good at helping you figure out the exercises and there is not a whole lot of equipment involved. I mean yoga and plyo suck, but it's definitely something that I could do (not necessarily well, but I improved over time, which is the point) and I would consider myself an entry level exerciser

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

do you have a house or an apartment?

I have a power rack, very basic and with a bench allows you do do all the basic lifts safely by yourself (squat, military press, bench press, deadlift)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VLRVSC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Then get a simple Olympic size bar and some plates, you are good to go.

As someone said, usually you can find this stuff on Craigslist.

13. Lil Pun

House. I'll search Craiglist. Thanks.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I'd do p90x or Insanity and FOLLOW THE DIET

I bought a treadmill and never use the thing. I know I'm not alone there.

16. supdudes

supdudes Member

It's better if you research these things more yourself, but the basics are this:

Plyo(metrics) is jump training, it works because your leg muscles (glutes, quads, for example) are the largest muscles in the body, so working them out burns the most calories. Like someone suggested, go on youtube and maybe find some p90x vids about plyo, and learn to do the moves.

Interval training is a concept that can be applied to any cardiovascular workout. For one set you do essentially the same move, but gradually faster and with higher intensity. One example is starting with simple leg squats without leaving the floot, and after 30 seconds or so get airborne, and after that include touching the floor when you come down while reaching up when you jump up. This one involves some plyo, but it doesn't have to all the time.
    As long as you do at least 8 or more moves in one session, it'll be good for you.

Hope this helps

17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    If you have to do it at home I recommend going this route as well instead of some gimmicky work out routine

1 person likes this.
  18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

How close do you live to a Fitness Connection?

19. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Honestly you should join a 24 hour gym, so you can work around your schedule.

Half the battle of working out is being disciplined enough to set aside time to go to the gym, no matter how busy or tired you are. No pain no gain. I'm not trying to be insensitive, I have a extremely busy lifestyle but I always find time to get to the gym 2x a week. For about an hour and half each time including stretching. I wish I can go more often. Ideally I'd go 4 or 5 times. There are days I just want to go home and sleep but I drag myself to the gym. Here's the thing. Its easy to skip 1 day of the gym. When you skip one day its much easier to skip a 2nd day. One week skipped turns into two weeks. And before you know it you haven't used your gym membership in a month. You just gotta stick with it.

20. Lil Pun

I'm at least 10 miles from any gym in my area (Jonesboro, AR).