1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trayvon Martin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Nook

Nook Member

The Martin case is not right now on the front page of CNN, FOX, MSNBC... is there is a grand jury, the case will get even more attention, it would be on the front page. Further..... what if the grand jury suggests NOT to file formal charges? That puts the DA in a very uncomfortable position....

I don't think that Corey loses legitimacy, there is already a witch hunt, he will be charged and the DA will role the dice in court.

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

So I've been keeping away from this issue but I finally caved in and read all the related wiki articles.

I don't feel outraged. Am I racist? Or is wikipedia biased? They usually do a good job of being neutral for hot topics like this IMO. I dunno.

3. SunsRocketsfan

road sign directs racial slur at Trayvon

[​IMG]

4. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

your not racist..you missed the initial vast amounts of misinformation and bad media coverage which made this into a race issue.

5. bigboi

bigboi Member

Why would you think not feeling outraged would make you a racist? :confused:

You seem to be looking for some kind of a reaction.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Not looking for a reaction. Just being a little tongue-in-cheek. I'm 100% legitimately confused whether I missed something that makes this such an outrage as it seemed to be from what I saw on my Facebook feed early on when this just happened.

7. bigboi

bigboi Member

So in your opinion people being outraged on facebook makes you think you need to feel the same.

There are legitimate reasons for people to feel outraged, the police seemingly giving Zimmerman the benefit of the doubt or the fact that the Stand your ground law gives people a out for acting overzealous.

You not feeling outrage is not out of the question but stop acting like there are not legitimate reasons for others to feel outraged by this case.

If you can't understand that, yeah you did miss something and will never understand.

8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I don't think I "need to feel the same". From what I read, it just doesn't seem like there was racism involved, which was what the outrage was all about. The outrage wasn't because of the "stand your ground" law or the overall lack of competency in the investigation (which happens ALL the time for anything), it was so quickly linked to race. So again, did I miss something that makes this obviously racist?

9. bigboi

bigboi Member

Ok so you know for certain what all the outrage was about but felt the need to come in here and ask did you miss something?

Sorry to break it to you but everybody is not outraged by the race angle, the "stand your ground law" is a very big part of the outrage.

Race was not or is not the only reason for outrage but thanks for showing that you did have a agenda with your original post.

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

You're kidding yourself if you don't think the outrage is PRIMARILY due to race. And I'm not talking about just the outrage of the victim's race, I'm also talking about the outrage over biased media coverage perpetuating that it was a race-related killing. Both sides go very extreme in this.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Some posters like Rocketsjudoka focused on the stand your ground law, but a huge amount of posts centered on racism and the media certainly fanned the flames.

12. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

In case you have not noticed, this is not a typical case.

13. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

That does not have anything to do with a grand jury proceeding. Aren't grand jury proceedings secret?

And what is the point in having a grand jury system if prosecutors can just bypass them at their whim?

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

So you want it handled differently?

15. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

16. cml750

cml750 Member

First, I think this is a terrible situation. A young man is dead. I still reserve judgement on this but I think the actions of the Black Panthers is deplorable. I also think it is a travesty that this is not going to a grand jury. I believe the special prosecutor will charge Zimmerman with murder. I think that should be done by a Grand Jury and not an individual. I will wait for more evidence to come out before I pass judgement.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Like Trayvon's mom copywriting his name, image, and phrases?

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Didn't you guys talk about she was 'cashing in'?
    Can give it but cannot take it???

Rocket River

20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Zimmerman needs a legal defense. What does Trayvon's mom need? Wasn't there some story about protecting his name?