1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trayvon Martin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Mar 10, 2012.

1. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

No. You don't know what might end up being recorded by the 911 call. Wouldn't be smart.

2. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

"Special prosecutor in Trayvon Martin shooting has decided against sending the case to a grand jury, her office says."

3. gwayneco

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

probably wise. I think the grand jury would have a hard time being impartial.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That seems like a good reason to not send it to a grand jury but if charges are pressed there will still need to be an impartial jury found for the trial.

I am not sure what to read from this announcement. It seems like if the prosecutor isn't going to file charges then she would've just announced that. OTOH if they are going to file charges why not just wait to announce the charges instead of announcing this first?

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a pure guess. But it seems like the prosecutor is making sure all the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed before making any announcement. I think whatever game plan the special prosecutor is likely to use is far enough along to know they won't go the grand jury route. But there may be just a few things that need to be cleared up before moving forward.

I agree that eventually if the proceed to trial an impartial jury will have to be assembled. But that's different than trusting the sitting grand jury will be able to do it.

I don't know. It's all guesswork at this point.

8. Nook

Nook Member

A grand jury is this high profile a case does not help the prosecution. If the grand jury comes back and says that charges should not be filed, then there will be outrage. If the grand jury comes back suggesting charges then there will be outrage that the Zimmerman was not arrested right away.

Either way a grand jury would keep this case in the headlines....

Smart strategic decision in my opinion. I would say there is a 99% chance he is charged, even if they hypothetically do not want to charge him, they all but have to at this point.

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Yes, this will be decided by the court system, I think that is just. If the jury do not find him guilty, I guess I am fine with that. I personally believe he is guilty of man slaughter.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They should have charged him with 1st degree murder and gone for the death penalty and just have him plead it out. Otherwise you are going have more people go provoke someone shoot them after they are losing and claim stand your ground. If this goes to trail it will be circus. It would become a whole white vs black thing.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

People have already turned this into a black vs white thing. So many care nothing for facts but instead draw lines in the sand based strictly on the color of skin.

They should charge him with what ever crime the evidence supports without regard to the families, victims or public. There is supposed to be a reason that the lady of justice wears a blindfold.

13. Raven

Raven Member

It's going to be a hung jury.

14. gwayneco

I don't don't get what this accomplishes. Doesn't it suggest that Corey thinks it's a weak case since she is unwilling to let a grand jury hear it?

15. Granville

Granville Member

I think she knows that dog ain't gonna hunt.

16. Nook

Nook Member

No, but it keeps the case from the top of the headlines as much, and the grand jury does not accomplish anything from the DA perspective.

17. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Actually theyre saying he was only 6 foot. But we all know if it was a foreign looking 6 foot 3 asian guy, most likely he isnt going to get chased down.

18. gwayneco

How is it going to keep it out of the headlines? That can of worms was opened long ago.

And wouldn't a grand jury give an air of legitimacy to the prosecutor by showing that the case received some initial vetting by citizens? Doesn't Corey lose some legitimacy if she bypasses that vetting?

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

For doing what is typical?