1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Travis Rodgers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Air Langhi, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, but since there is a discussion of Houston radio personalities does anyone know how he ended up here. I haven't heard his show, but have heard ads for it. I know he used to produce for jim rome. How do you go from producing a show with millions listeners to doing mid day sports talk with maybe a few thousand listeners.

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I imagine radio producer might be one of the more nebulous jobs in media. Some of these guys own rights and seem to be de-facto manager/agents for the host, and I guess sometimes they're just glorified screeners/voice-over guys who spend just as much time on other shows for the station.

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I don't know why he left Rome but I know he was doing weekly segments on the Sean & John show. 1560, apparently, did not want Hoffman back due to his limitations on advertising because of the Chronicle so they asked him to move to Houston to host the show.

Truth be told, it sounds like they Sean a solid by hiring his buddy because he really isn't good. He is not as bad as Lord, Lopez or some of the other guys but just doesn't really know Houston and it shows badly.

4. opticon

opticon Member

I have only heard the show in 10 minute spurts but I like it. He has a little bit of Jim Rome flavor. His show has more of a national feel to it. He talks about a wide range of topics and has a decent sense of humor.

5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Supposedly Rodgers and Rome had a big falling out. Just google it and you might find more specific. But to summarize, it sounded as though Rome was being a dick and up and fired him. Rome's show is absolutely terrible now. It's one sound effect after another...none of them funny. JRI truly B.

Also...read somewhere that said Travis was the writer/comic genius behind most of Jim's funnier takes.

Personally, I like his show. It's not 100% Houston sports...but he's got a slightly different view than the local homers.

6. DreamRoxCoogFan

I kinda like it too. Its got a national feel and he has GREAT guests. He can be entertaining, but yeah, he (unsurprisingly) has that Rome vibe. I guess it would be hard not to sound like someone if you listened to him for 14 years

7. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

I was an avid listener to 1560 until work got in the way but apparently Rodgers and Rome had a dispute about the direction they wanted to take the show and of course the "Diva" was not having it so T-Rodge had to go. He and Sean from the afternoon show are good friends and sporadically came on 1560 initially for general sports talk and then lead to weekly spot and now he has his own show.

8. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

t rogers show is awesome. Fact. I dont listen to it much. Fact. You might like it. Fact.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What time is his show?
    Please say sometimes between 10~2

Rocket River

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

i heard Rome mention a new guy, but I didn't realize there was a falling out with Travis Rodgers.

does he broadcast out of H town?

12. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Yes, it is a local show. Rodgers was a regular call in guest on the Sean and John show and a lot of listeners really liked him and wanted him to have a show. When Ken Hoffman's contract came up, they made the switch, mainly because they couldn't get any ad revenue from Hoffman because he couldn't read ads per his contract with the Chronicle.

Speaking of Rodgers, what do you guys think of the new character Lance created for his show, Pete from Wayoutsports.com? I think it's funny, but doesn't have the staying power and potential that SEC Guy and Hatchet Man have.

13. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I live in Austin and just found out about this. I'm streaming it now. Sounds kinda early-Jim Rome-ish.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I heard a few minutes of it yesterday. I had no idea he had a show and didn't even realize it was him until 5-10 minutes in. I liked it well enough to tune back in.

15. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I've tried his local show a couple times. I really badly want to like it. I haven't quite warmed up to it yet, but his show is already better than Hoffman's. He is a little too national for my taste, but that probably is because he hasn't been in Houston long enough to get a feel for a lot of the local stuff.

Overall, it's a very good hire for 1560. He has a lot of name recognition with people across the country because of his work with Jim Rome and he seems like a well-rounded guy.

16. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

I've started listening to his show and I like it. 1560 is pretty much the only Houston station with people I can bear to listen to anymore.

So is he actually Houston sports fan/have a connection with Houston or did he just come because of the job?

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Pasty the friendly ghost Sean.

18. lockmat

lockmat Member

I thought his show was gonna be national? It's on SNR but he gives out a Houston phone number and he mainly talks local sports. Is it really national?

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Oh hay, a sports radio thread.

Allow me to make my standard contribution.

Dylan Gwinn sucks ass.

Carry on.

(P.S. Will give this T.R. guy a try, just wish he was 10-12, for obvious reasons)

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Sounds a lot Jim Rome-ish.