1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Transitioning to IDP

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by Pieman2005, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Hey fellow fantasy footballers. :p I was wondering if you guys had any tips on incorporating IDP's to a fantasy football league.

This is the 4th year of my league and it's been great! But every year we try to shake up the league a bit (nothing too drastic) and this season we're looking into IDP (individual defensive players).

Anyone here have any experience playing with IDP's?

So far me and the 2 other commissioners have come up with this (and is subject to change):

1 Utility IDP
    Remove Team D/ST

Tackle - 1
    Int - 3
    Forced Fumble - 3
    Recovered Fumble - 3
    Pass Deflect - 1
    Block FG/Punt - 3
    Safety - 3
    Returns for TD - 6

Any tips?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If you're easing in, try keeping the DST and allowing just 1 IDP. Again if you're easing in, maybe neuter the sacks/interceptions/returns/FF a bit and record .5 for assisted tackles, making ILB the preferred, safe choice. Otherwise fluke plays will have the potential to swing entire matchups. Unless that's what you're going for.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I've done IDP now for about 10 years.

Best bet is to scrap team defense and go one LB or one Utility.

You will run into double points issues by doing team D and IDPs simultaneously that might piss some people off.

However, if you end up going 1 utility nobody will have anything but LBs anyway (except for the one guy who gets JJ Watt), so you may as well either go 1 LB or go 1 LB - 1 DB - 1 DL

Linebackers are the RBs of the defensive side. Tackles are the most prevalent defensive stat. You can combat this by lowering tackle value down to .75 or .5, but that will render your DBs and DLs mostly useless.

4. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Hey Ziggy. Thanks for the reply! Our assist tackle is 0, 1 point is for solo tackle. Keeping the DST and 1 utility might be a good idea but we always felt like DST was filler, and a lot of people just go DST by committee (who's playing the Texans this week? *picks up in waivers*)
    :)

5. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Moes, someone will definitely overdraft J.J. Watt. Andre Johnson went in our first round last year.. (he's the Taco of our league)

:p

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I transitioned my PPR league over in the same way. We went from DST to 1 LB to LB/DL/DB.

Watt is a legitimate top IDP even though he's not a LB, especially if passed defended are worth anything.

7. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

8. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Damn, previewing your post messes up the link.

here, hit "DP" to filter out IDP only

9. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

yeah, you should go LB if its only 1 player, and when I have played with IDP, the league didnt remove D/ST.

the tackles are the thing that you must look up for players, so LBs are commonly the ones with most tackles, if you count passes defended, then safeties are a 2nd option.

but dont pick great CBs (Sherman for example) because QBs rarely throw at them, so they barely get tackles, INTs or passes defended.