1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Training Camp Roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GATER, Oct 2, 2000.

1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

40 Shandon Anderson F 6-6 210 Georgia '96
    44 Terrell Bell C 6-11 250 Georgia '96
    35 Stais Boseman G 6-4 200 S. Cal. '97
    50 Matt Bullard F 6-10 235 Iowa '90
    13 Kelvin Cato C 6-11 255 Iowa St.'97
    52 Jason Collier F/C 7-0 260 GA.Tech '00
    3 Steve Francis G 6-3 195 Maryland '99
    32 Lorenzo Johnson F 6-9 230 Col. St. '98
    14 Dan Langhi F 6-11 220 Vandy '00
    5 Cuttino Mobley G 6-4 190 Rhode Island '98
    2 "Moochie" Norris G 6-1 175 W. Fla. '96
    34 Hakeem Olajuwon C 7-0 255 Houston '84
    6 Carlos Rogers F/C 6-11 232 Tenn. St. '94
    2 Maurice Taylor F 6-9 260 Michigan '97
    21 Kenny Thomas F 6-7 261 New Mex. '99
    42 Walt Williams G/F 6-8 230 Maryland '92
    1 Rayford Young G 5-11 175 Tex. Tech '00

http://www.nba.com/rockets/camp_roster2000.html

------------------
    GATER

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited October 02, 2000).]

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Guess that answers the questions about Washington and Pig. They won't be there.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

Go Packers and Rams!

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Terrell Bell is back. Let's give a cheer.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

4. TIburon

TIburon Member

Any of you guys think we will keep Rayford Young or Stais Boseman, for injury purposes. Both are good guards. Stais can play both positions, which would help if a player at any position gets hurt. Rayford can play as well.

------------------

5. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

Even if we lost a guard.. we still have cuttino and moochie coming off the bench.. that's a solid rotation and i'm sure they're more than willing to play the minutes. I think they're more likely to put a PF or center on the IR for those purposes
    -elie17

------------------
    Oh.. so this is how you add a signature huh? coo coo.

6. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Elie17,

I think that we're pretty loaded at power forward. We've got Taylor, Thomas, Rogers (who can play small forward), Bullard (who also can play small forward), Collier (who should play power forward and center) and Cato (who obviously plays center most of the time). So I see your idea that we would rather pick up a center than another guard, but not that we would use the spot to sign another power forward.

But even assuming some merit to your argument that we have some need to sign another back-up center in the event Cato, Dream and Collier go down, we are screwed worse if we lose a guard-especially Mobley because he can play two spots, even though he won't play point that much (he didn't last year).

Now I don't know much about our options, but there are some point guards I'd like to see in camp, namely Ed Cota. Rayford Who? I'd rather see a point guard who can lead if we need him to. Cota can't hit water from a boat some nights, but he sees the court like God from Heaven, plays defense, and rebounds the ball from both the front and the back-courts.

With that said, do you really think that we need a center or a power forward more than a guard? If so, tell me why?

P1st,S2nd

------------------
    Watch...the Wizard is gonna work majic this year!

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I think Young should make the roster just in case Norris gets hurt. Its always safe to have 3 points on the team becase you never know what will happend. Roster will be:

Cato
    Dream
    Thomas
    Collier
    Langhi
    Williams
    Norris
    Rogers
    Anderson
    Taylor
    Mobley
    Franchise
    Young (I hope he makes it)

Bullard IR. They should have added Bullard
    to the Drew trade because he could get much more playing time in Chicago.

8. RENDIGGLER3:20

Im with Elie #17 on this.Although we could use Young just so we have some insurance at the point guard position.On the other hand you could probably find a more than decent point guard anytime you want,there everywhere!

I really wanted Washington,oh well.

What happened to Dench?

------------------

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Cuttino can play some point guard, and could take up slack there if we've got an injury. And Walt played the point in college! [​IMG]

BTW, does Bell have naked pictures of Carrol Dawson or something? How does that scrub make it to training camp again? He sucked like 4 years ago when we drafted him. Bet he still does. Maybe he's just here to reminisce with Shandon about their college days.

------------------

10. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Do you think Bell has made any progress?

Mango

------------------
    Test Your NBA Trade Ideas
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited October 03, 2000).]

11. GATER

Maybe the Rockets Coaching Staff knows a lot more about Terrell Bell than what's on the Rockets' Website about him:

As a Professional
    Has averaged 2.8 points, 4.6 rebounds and 1.43 blocked shots in 68 CBA games with Oklahoma City, Rockford and Idaho & started playing in the CBA with Oklahoma City during the 1996-97 season & averaged 1.7 points and 2.9 rebounds that season & set career highs with 3.5 points and 5.1 rebounds playing for Rockford in his second CBA season & spent time with both Rockford and Idaho the following year, averaging 2.4 points and 4.7 rebounds & has appeared in 11 CBA playoff games.

I guess if there was really a spot open, Pig or Washington would have gotten a call. This appears on the surface to be a "token" invitation. Can anyone elaborate?

------------------
    GATER

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited October 03, 2000).]

12. Elie#17

I have the notion that our centers are too soft, and are more likely to get injured. Hakeem isn't likely to have an injury-free season, despite how much we'd like it. As well, it's the ability that i'm looking at. Our backcourt replacements are more stable and able to handle a loss of a guard. Our frontcourt, being weak and unlikely to guard well, esp. Cato, and the rookie Collier are likely to pickup fouls. Thus, we need another big body who can hold his own in the paint.

That's just my thinking,
    elie17

------------------

13. TB3

TB3 Member

I think Bell is just helping out on his way back to the CBA. Maybe Terrell can bang Cato around, and help Kelvin obtain a mean streak before the season starts.

------------------

14. Hydra

Hydra Member

Bye Bye Bell!

------------------
    David Stern calls me now and says, 'I apologize for all the things I said to you in the past. Dennis is a lot worse than you are.' -- Charles Barkley

15. TB3

TB3 Member

clippers trades: Corey Maggette $1,353,960 to houston
    clippers trades: Tyrone Nesby $2,988,334 to houston
    clippers trades: Brian Skinner $901,800 to houston
    TOTAL: $5,244,094
    TOTAL: $0

houston trades: Kenny Thomas $885,120 to clippers
    houston trades: Walt Williams $4,250,000 to clippers
    TOTAL: $5,135,120

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to dallas and houston being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. dallas and houston had to be within 15% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining agreement.

Let's do this!

------------------
    <a What a slam dunk!!

16. Elie#17

TB3,

trade would be dreamcasting... considering everyone knows walt's not worth his 4 mil. and Magette already earns his 1.7 and is a player that might be worthy of like 6, 7 after he develops. We sure could use him at the 3. How does his game compare to Mike Miller?

Thanx.
    -Elie17

------------------

17. GATER

At some point, the Clips are gonna have to find playing time for Maggette, Nesby, and Piatkowski - all of whom can play the 2 (I presume behind Q). Most likley Piatkowski tops the their list as most expendable.

And they have a logjam at 3 with Odom, Miles, and Nesby. I doubt they want Walt because he would take minutes from Miles or be a high-priced 3rd stringer.

I don't think the Clips would do this deal. If we really wanted Maggette, find a 3rd team with a decent center and I bet they'd give it serious thought. Kandi hasn't produced and Closs was just suspended for a conditioning violation.

I don't think we need Maggette but this works:

clippers trades: Corey Maggette $1,353,960 to houston
    clippers trades: Tyrone Nesby $2,988,334 to cleveland
    TOTAL: $4,342,294

houston trades: Kenny Thomas $885,120 to clippers
    houston trades: Walt Williams $4,250,000 to cleveland
    TOTAL: $5,135,120

cleveland trades: Mark Bryant $2,200,000 to clippers
    cleveland trades: Cedric Henderson $3,000,000 to houston
    TOTAL: $5,200,000

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to houston and cleveland being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. houston and cleveland had to be within 15% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining agreement.

cleveland had to use a portion of their trade exemption of $2,850,000 for this trade to go through

------------------
    GATER

18. TB3

TB3 Member

Gater, you are the most sensible poster on this board. Good trade idea for Houston, and much more likely for L.A. than my trade.

------------------
    What a slam dunk!!