1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Training Camp - 10/1/2002

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I went down to St. Stephens again this year and just got back.

I would not say Glen Rice looked <I>awesome</I>, but I would say he looked very good. It looks like he has lost weight and he is so in to it -- he's yelling, screaming, laughing, running .... he looked very sharp. Saw him put up two threes in scrimmages and he drained them both, and the most impressive was a slashing drive right through the middle of the lane for two. He looked good I thought. The biggest difference this year from last year was he was so in to it -- last season he was on the sidelines, talking occasionally and running on an exercise bike,

I never saw Boki put up a single shot. I saw him call for it several times, but he didn't get the ball. Mostly I saw him in drills guarding Rice. I did interview him after practice though -- sharp guy, easy to talk to. Speaks perfect english. He stayed after practice and did a bunch of exercises that clearly were to improve his groin injury.

Kenny Thomas looked pretty good .... him and Mo guarded each other a few times and I saw KT slap the ball out of his hands a few times. Mo has lost weight, but he just doesn't look as "cut" as he has in the past (I have photos from training camp two years ago that I'll probably put a comparison up to this year's training camp). He did look good though ...

Most of what I saw action wise was all the players put in to three teams (red, blue, grey) ... Francis, Moochie and Tito/Tierre led the teams. The three PFs were on different teams also.

Still helter skelter basketball ... granted it's Day One, but I was watching it being bounced around like crazy and wondering how Yao would fit into (or change) all of this.

2. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

Thats it? Com'on, what about Griffin?

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"<i>The three PFs were put on different teams, also.</i>."

So, I take that as meaning Kenny actually did not start camp at the three like Dawson said he would.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Did KT look fast enough to play the 3?? Did Rice ge his legs back under his shot??

Gotta give more clutch. I'm fiending.

5. Smashingworth

Smashingworth Member

Clutch, are you going to be there for any more days, or is this it?

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Good question .... since KT was guarding Mo, I would say no. KT looks slim for a PF, but he just doesn't look to have any fat on him (remember when he came in to the league "weight" was an issue)

r-fan-since-81 - I'm back at work now and will write more for the site later. Right now I can't though. Eddie didn't really do anything that jumped out at me .... I did see him hit a 16-footer and on another play he made a nice move on Collier but he missed the baseline turnaround.

7. Sane

Sane Member

If this is what shape the players are in now, then I'm sure they will become mroe "cut" as the season progresses.

I think we're blessed with what is probably the hardest working offseason team in the league, Yao Ming included. *Knocks on wood*

Clutch, did you sense any tension between any of the 3 PF's? I don't mean game-time competitive tension, but something mroe serious. Basically what I'm trying to ask is, will there be chemistry problems, whining, and stuff like that from the F's?

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

9. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Clutch, how about a little insight as to who looked better on the court out of Tito and Tierre?

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Clutch, thanks for the report! Great info! Look forward to future reports! Can't believe that training camp is already here and we are less than a month away from the start of the season! Woo Hoo!

Chris

11. verse

verse Contributing Member

Clutch, you are trippin'.

you know you gotta bring the goods, man. how dare you tease us like that! :mad:

1. how did the guards look?
    2. did kenny do anything different offensively, or was it the same basic repertoire?
    3. any mickeal news?
    4. any comments about yao that you overheard (on the dl, ya know?)

bring the noise, Clutch!!!!!

12. verse

verse Contributing Member

;)

kinda.

i really would like to know the answer to those questions. and are the practices closed to the public?

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

OK so how did he look defending Rice? Were the other players just ignoring him on the offensive end or was it a case where he was just not the best option.

14. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Who does Clutch think he is, putting his job and supporting his family over OUR enjoyment!? ;) Man I'm pumped, I can't wait for the preseason! :D!

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Great info Clutch, I look forward to your full report.

DD

16. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Thanks Again!

Do Steve or Cuttino look like they have gained any muscle, got any new moves, or worked on their shots at all?

17. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Very smooth Clutch with creating this poll! Thanks again for all of your hard work & tremendous effort in providing the exclusive reports from Training Camp in Austin!

Clutch Poll:

What Rocket player currently working out with the team are you most curious to hear news about from training camp?

Responses:

43.2% Bostjan Nachbar
    21.8% Eddie Griffin
    16.5% Maurice Taylor
    10.7% Glen Rice
    4.4% Steve Francis
    1.8% Other
    1.6% Kenny Thomas

#17 ron413, Oct 1, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2002
  18. ron413

I'm sorry but this was the funniest thing I have read in awhile for some reason. This is Clutch commenting on Day 3 of Training Camp last year and I quote: http://clutchcity.net/feature.cfm?FeatureID=144
    ----------
    THURSDAY, OCTOBER 4, 2001
    I got to camp and there was no media there at all. The security guard, who has been very cool, told me I could go right ahead on in the gym.

Sweet. So I walked in and the Rockets were still running practice, and had the players broken up in to groups by position. As I started to walk down the side of the court, the ball got away from Kelvin Cato and came right at me. I picked it up and passed it back to him.

"Nice pass, man. You get the assist," said Kelvin.

I thought, "Well that was cool of him." Sort of made up for yesterday's diss.

Then he turned, fired the uncontested 7-foot baseline jumper and missed. So now the dude screwed me out of my first NBA assist.

19. ron413

Oh man, get ready everyone. Clutch is about to bring it. He's coming full force with the good stuff. You can just tell from his little teaser on the main cc.net page (with an exclusive pic of Glen Rice) that he is not messing around! Thanks again Clutch.

#19 ron413, Oct 1, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2002
  20. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Does Rice look like he is a couple years younger in that pick. This could be big news.