1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trail Blazers sign Nicolas Batum

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JOHNNYN, Jul 22, 2008.

1. JOHNNYN

JOHNNYN Member

http://www.nba.com/blazers/news/Trail_Blazers_sign_Nicolas_Bat-278467-1218.html

Our plans were to stash him in Europe for a year or 2, Portland chooses otherwise. As of now though, Greene seems like he'll be the better contributer this year but who knows who improves greater over the years. I just hope we got the better end of the deal overall.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Portland is already overloaded with wing players. Was this even necessary? You mean to tell me in that talented group a 6'8", 190 lb player has a chance to crack the rotation?

...or is this just so he can be on the roster and sent to the D-League?

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't get this. Batum showed very good potential in summer league, but he clearly isn't ready to contribute at all this year. I like his hustle, polish, length, basketball IQ, etc. But he's a 15th man right now and the Blazers have some difficult decisions ahead. I guess this means Koponen definitely won't be signed.

b4l, I'm with you. Must be for summer league.

4. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Batum was never in our plans. The Rockets had no intentions in keeping him, only as trade bait.

5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

When did Morey and Adelman say they were planning to stash Batum in Europe?

6. kikimama

kikimama Member

U still have to sign players even if your planning to send them to NBDL correct?
    How does the average clutchfan not know we had no intention of keeping him? :rolleyes:

7. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

battier for outlaw and rudy just became more likely?

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Not likely. Clutch's draft night report mentioned that Webster and Rush were offered for Battier plus Batum before they decided to go for Bayless with the 13th pick. The Rockets couldn't get the 13th pick for Shane,so the chances of getting Outlaw and Rudy Fernandez for him is remote IMO. The Blazers turned down Outlaw and offered Webster by the way before Bayless fell down to them.

9. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

They HAD to sign him. Before the draft, he said there was no way he was going back to Europe.

10. saleem

Yes,it was Portland who trumped the Spurs by asking the Rockets to pick Batum for the 27th and the 33rd. Portland knew Batum wasn't going back to France.
    I hope Greene will eventually prove to be a better player than Batum and Arthur.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's that much closer to 100% that either Webster or Outlaw is packaged for a veteran SF. I'm not so sure it will be Shane.

Their roster is bursting at the seams.

12. FFz

FFz Member

So they got 14 spots not just 1 more for that Finish PG. I hope he makes it. He impressed me with his play int he summer leagues.

13. wingz0

wingz0 Member

They're high on Outlaw.

Webster seems to be the one on the way out.

And frankly...Webster isn't worth Battier. Not even if they package him with a Jarret Jack or Rudy Fernandez.

I would take Outlaw and Fernandez/Jack though.

14. saleem

I agree that Webster isn't worth Battier. Jack has already been traded to Indiana.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

they see roy & rudy as their backcourt future.

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm really happy we did not pick Batum..... No frenchys please.......

17. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

What does being French have to do with being able to play basketball?

18. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

I am guessing he wasn't alluding to hating on French people as much as he probably was about most french players in the NBA being rather lackluster besides Parker..and I guess Diaw, even though he has been pretty average himself as of late.

19. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Whoops, my bad on that. Haven't really been keeping track of moves around the league other than Rox news. :D

20. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

As much as I love Battier, I really wanted us to get Rush somehow, that would have been nice, especially if we could have got Outlaw too. Thank God we turned down the Webster offer.

As for the signing, hopefully this means they may be looking to deal. A 3 (Rockets) for 2 (Blazers) deal would probably work out well for both teams.

Pugs