1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Traffic Stop Nightmare] or [There's a New Mexico?!?]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by kpsta, Nov 6, 2013.

1. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

David Eckert Appears To Clench His Buttocks; Cops Order Enemas, Colonoscopy, X-Ray For Non-Existent Drugs

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...colonoscopy-drugs-traffic-stop_n_4218320.html

A New Mexico man is alleging abuse after authorities conducted three enemas, a colonoscopy, an X-ray and several cavity searches on him simply because he appeared to clench his buttocks.

David Eckert's attorney recently filed a federal lawsuit on his behalf over the Jan. 3 incident, in which police and doctors co-opted an "unethical," 14-hour series of cavity searches, KOB-4 reports.

Court documents state that Eckert was driving out of Wal-Mart in Deming when he failed to fully stop at a parking lot stop sign. He was immediately pulled over.

When he stepped out of his vehicle, an officer reported that he appeared to be clenching his buttocks. That fact was cited as probable cause to suspect that Eckert was hiding narcotics in his anal cavity. Officers obtained a search warrant and Eckert's humiliating examination began at a nearby medical center.

From KOB-4:

1.Eckert’s abdominal area was X-rayed; no narcotics were found.
    2.Doctors then performed an exam of Eckert’s anus with their fingers; no narcotics were found.
    3.Doctors performed a second exam of Eckert’s anus with their fingers; no narcotics were found.
    4.Doctors penetrated Eckert’s anus to insert an enema. Eckert was forced to defecate in front of doctors and police officers. Eckert watched as doctors searched his stool. No narcotics were found.
    5.Doctors penetrated Eckert’s anus to insert an enema a second time. Eckert was forced to defecate in front of doctors and police officers. Eckert watched as doctors searched his stool. No narcotics were found.
    6.Doctors penetrated Eckert’s anus to insert an enema a third time. Eckert was forced to defecate in front of doctors and police officers. Eckert watched as doctors searched his stool. No narcotics were found.
    7.Doctors then X-rayed Eckert again; no narcotics were found.
    8.Doctors prepared Eckert for surgery, sedated him, and then performed a colonoscopy where a scope with a camera was inserted into Eckert’s anus, rectum, colon, and large intestines. No narcotics were found.
    Eckert's attorney told the Herald-Sun that the case needed to go public because it could set a scary precedent.

"If the officers in Hidalgo County and the City of Deming are seeking warrants for anal cavity searches based on how they’re standing and the warrant allows doctors at the 'Gila Hospital of Horrors' to go in and do enemas and colonoscopies without consent, then anyone can be seized," Shannon Kennedy said.

Deming Police Chief Brandon Gigante argued that his officers "follow the law in every aspect." Kennedy said that the officers' warrant allowing them to search Eckert expired hours before his ordeal was over, and the warrant wasn't even valid in the county where the procedures were performed.

Eckert is suing the City of Deming, Deming police officers Bobby Orosco, Robert Chavez, Officer Hernandez, and Hidalgo County deputies David Arredondo, Robert Rodriguez and Patrick Green. He's also suing Deputy District Attorney Daniel Dougherty and the Gila Regional Medical Center.

:( :( :(

1 person likes this.
  2. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Wait, do you have to actually stop for those? I can understand if it was a stop sign leading onto a main road but if it is just a sign on Wal-mart's lot then that doesn't make much sense.

That dude is gonna get paid.

3. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

he gon get paid....either that or basketball reasons

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Damn. Dude was just trying to be polite and hold in some gas and then all this happened. He should get paid.

5. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

This is so wrong on so many levels. These are the sorts of things we were led to believe didn't happen here, once upon a time. America, land of the free.

He should get paid, paid by the person that authorized that warrant as well as the officer in question. They should garnish their wages and forfeit part of their pensions. That should learn 'em.

6. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

I heard about it on the radio this morning driving into work. Everything about the way things happened was just so wrong... Aside from just the obscene overstepping of boundaries, the warrant to search him expired at 10pm (about half the procedures happened around 3am)... and the warrant was only valid in the county where the traffic violation occurred (yet the police took him to a hospital in a neighboring county). It's just insane that at no point did anyone in the hospital question this stuff either. You'd think that maybe after steps 1 and 2 that the doctor would say, "Hey, officers... based on my medical expertise, I think this guy may not be hiding anything up there after all."

7. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

The hospital was getting paid for each procedure. I wouldn't be too surprised if they were pushing for some of the stuff themselves.

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Why, that would be Ludicrous, Dr.

1 person likes this.
  9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Cops have too much power and don't get punished for their actions enough. Some of these police officers should be brought up on criminal charges.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Eckert seems pretty sore about this. I would go so far as to say he's being anal.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I hope the guy sues the hell out of the cops involved (and the PD they work for), and wins. This was beyond absurd.

12. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

disturbed at the lack of "prepare your anus" meme.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Figuratively and literally....

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

How the **** do things come to this point? What are people thinking when they're authorizing this ****?

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Nice title of thread. Was that Homer Simpson? :grin:

Anyway, it's easy to see that the argument here is the "probable cause."

I usually defend Police Departments in dealing with criminals, but... I probably would be searched all the time since I hold farts in when I'm in public as a courtesy.

prepare my anus????
    That guy sounds like a GIGANTE a-hole from the get go. :eek:

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Power is a hell of a drug. People love to exercise any amount of small power they have over someone else, and unfortunately, cops tend to be among the worst when it comes to this.

17. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

What's worse is that the hospital is probably charging the guy for all of those procedures....

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That is an actual fact, according to what I've read. They are threatening already to report him to a collections agency, b/c there's no way the dude can afford it.

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

No. :eek:

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Repped OP for the Simpsons reference in the title. If it was.