1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trae Young Trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Dec 9, 2022.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I was more so looking at his TS%, win shares and VORP.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Trae young ain't coming here. Trae Young to the Spurs makes so much sense it's scary.
    I think it's he opposite, he'll lose you a lot of regular season games because of his style/defensive gaps but taht same style also means he can explode in the playoffs and single-handely beat literally anybody in one game, like he did against Boston last year or the Knicks the year they went ot the ECF.

Honestly I am fearful of him pairing with Wembanyama on the roll - it's scary as hell and Wemby can erase his defensive mistakes.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'd give up a real package for Trae. Said it last year and still believe that this offseason. Yes he has a lot of warts, but at the same time players with no issues are NEVER going to be on the trade market or FA market. And Trae for all his warts is better than everyone except Sengun on this team.

My trade, assuming Jalen Green still has roughly a mid-first value on the market, would be Green + 9th pick + future lottery protected 1st of some kind and either FVV or Brooks for salary matching. They can also send back a salary they don't want if they take FVV.

Y2JT likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I've seen enough for Green a sa creative ball handler to now be confident his ceiling his much higher than Trae. Green isn't a midget by NBA standards unlike Trae and he has become a good defender on top of that.

His combo of agility with the ball in his hands at 6'6" is rare.

Green is in the quickness and agility class of Maxi, Ja, Fox but much taller than all of those guys.

CarlosGM likes this.
  5. meh

meh Contributing Member

The problem with Green is that basketball is played on the court and not by measurement of physical tools.

subtomic and Corrosion like this.
  6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

This is my thought, except I don’t know if I’d give up any future assets. Green + 9th pick + FVV or Brooks. Take it or leave it. If we’re trading FVV and Green, they can throw in AJ Griffin to make the money work (the Rockets have shown interest in him in the past). It’s a compelling package if they want to retool rather than rebuild.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Well those tools show on the court hence why many non rocket fans who eat j him on the sidelines say it. They don't say it based on measurable. They say it based on watching him play.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Trae is gonna be a spur. Just lay back and let it happen; it makes too much sense. They need scoring, they have cap space, Wemby can help hide Trae’s terrible perimeter defense, oh yeah…the spurs own Atlanta’s picks/swaps the next 3 yrs so there’s a big incentive for Atlanta to deal with spurs. Getting into a bidding war for Trae’s services is fine if we are trying to jack up the price on the spurs, but trading for Trae would be a poor use of our hard earned prospects and assets. In the “star” catagory he’s on the low tier. You don’t want to lock up a huge chunk of your salary cap on one of those guys.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He could work on SA for that reason, but with us his defense approach of "plastic bag floating in the breeze" would kill us IMO.

But he's never really been one to lift up his teammates and has a history of issues with his coaches. So I'm not sold on him being a home run anywhere, even though SA seems like a solid fit for him.

Aruba77 likes this.
  10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm not for trading anyone at this time

Rocket River
    unless we get a major upgrade

12. PatBev

PatBev Member

Ewww....why would you want Trae. Just going to get in the way of development of young guys

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

I agree the Spurs make a ton of sense, unfortunately. Could easily see that happening.

He could also end up on the Lakers and that would work as a starting lineup, with LeBron and AD holding down the defense. They'd have to lose a ton of bench depth to acquire him though.

I would probably rather that than have him end up with Wemby, since the Lakers probably only have a couple years left until Bron retires and AD really gets into his decline phase.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

That's not what Draya Michelle said.

Ba-da-BUM-TISH! (high hat)

jch1911 likes this.
  15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

He's better than anyone our roster save Sengun. Playoffs every year with mid rosters. He carried (in a weak conference yes) roles players to the ECF. He was all rookie 1st team and 3x allstar. He accomplished most of that relatively young as well. You put solid coaching and solid players around him and he will lead his team to the playoffs and he has that crazy shooting skill that if he gets hot can make a playoff run.

16. jch1911

jch1911 Member

[​IMG]

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Lottery protected 1sts aren't worth much these days. If the Rockets were to give up one it would likely be our 2027 pick. Which assuming the front office/coaches are sold on Trae enough to make this trade, should put the Rockets more in the 20s range draft pick. So we're not really that far apart in terms of assets given up.

I personally don't think the Hawks make this deal though. They're in a situation where they can't tank for the next 3 years, so they probably want more present assets to win now than just blow it up like a normal team in such situation.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Trae may be the more talented player, but I think I'd prefer FVV for this team .... he's a steady force guiding this young team where Trae is gonna go off the rails at times all on his own & FVV is a vastly better defender.

Trae's shot selection is terrible. Sure, he might make some of those 4 pointers ....

Then there's the fact that he has 3 extra years on his deal where FVV has one plus a team option, you can be a player in FA if you choose to - before paying Sengun, Amen, Jabari, Cam & Tari.

43 wins. That's the high water mark for Trae in the East.

19. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Trae Young is not a Udoka type of player...Udoka likes 2-way players therefore would make more sense for us to trade for Dejountay Murray than Trae...however, neither of those players will make significantly improve us so I'll pass

BaselineFade and topfive like this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'd rather us avoid max guys who are great offensively and terrible and/or/ lazy defenders. I'd pass on Trae, Harden, Donovan Mitchell, etcc. I also think Udoka would prefer guards who can at least hold their own defensively.

BaselineFade likes this.