1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Mobley would mean trading Francis as well

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cipherous, Feb 4, 2003.

1. silvercatt

silvercatt Contributing Member

I am sure steve would be fine if Mobley get traded. Come on now they still can see each other. It's not like they send Mobley to play basketball in afghanistan.

2. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Cat was never known for his passing. He is a very talented player and will probably be much happier in another uniform.

SF is a big boy. I doubt that he will really throw a fit if Cat is traded.

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think if the team was better, he'd learn to get over it. Webber wasn't too happy about J.Willimas leaving, but he got over it. Winning cures all and this is a business. If trading Mobley makes this a better team, then you do it. If Francis pouts and complains then do what you have to do. No one ever said that everyone can be happy. He has his money and his contract, so now he just would have to play.

4. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

SF plays for Cat only?

5. RocketsFun2003

Very good question.

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I absolutely believe that we shouldn't trade Mobley...

but that doesn't mean that the guy should be playing 40 minutes a game. Mobley has no concience, which is both a strength and a weakness. In my perfect world, we'd have a strong defender/athlete-type to rotate with Cat at the 2. Someone, perhaps, like Desmond Mason. That way, when the team needed 'instant offence' they could bring in Mobley and he could jack'em up with no concience and no qualms. When things were going better, however, the coach would be able to put in more of a 'complimentary' type guy to keep the flow going.

In this way, Cat could jack up all he wants, and Rudy would have an offensive 'on/off valve', and everybody would be able to keep on keeping on without having to alter their tendancies.

In other words, I don't necessarily think Cuttino is the problem, but rather the problem is how much Cuttino is being used and relied upon.

BTW, I don't think it's a matter of anybody "caring" about winning. I'm fairly sure that all of these guys are commited to winning, but are more or less finding out what the best way to do that is through trial and error. It's more of a learning curve for guys who've always been 'goto' guys, and who have to learn to give a bit of that up. Botom line -- Steve's just not John Stocton, no matter how hard he tries, and Cat's natural instinct when things get bogged down is to do something to try and 'create' for the team.

7. ewfd

ewfd Member

I think Steve would be pissed for a few weeks.

Then after playing without Cat he'd be loving it..

8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Make Mobley a poing guard :D All seriousness aside he was a former point guard for the Rockets. He didn't really have to do much other then kick it into Hakeem, or Barkley in those days, but nevertheless he did what he was asked to do and got the job done. Although putting him at point is damn near impossible, it would be a funny idea to try just for the hell of it. I honestly think highly of Mobley when he plays conservative and within the offense. Not many guards are left handed, and have a quick first step. He hustles, rebounds, dishes assists when he's flowing within the offense, and is a great finisher. He's an aggressive defender which can be a double edged sword when he's too agressive like fouling people beyond the arc and giving them 3 free throws :mad:

You guys often forget how underdeveloped he used to be when he was a rookie. He lit people up in college in Rhode Island, but wasn't really used much for his first few years. I finally think he's starting to buy into the Rockets offensive scheme, and is still getting his same average shots, but more as a spot up shooter with open looks, or a slasher in an open lane. Atleast the last few game he hasn't gone ISO, which is signs of progress as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps there are a few situations where he should make the extra pass to a more open man, but progress is coming along, and he's a good guy. You guys just get overly critical after a Rockets loss is all.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You guys WAY overestimate Cat and Steve's relationship and way underestimate Francis' desire to win. If he thought moving Mobley would help, he'd pack the guy's bags for him.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Addition by subtraction.

They are redundant players.

Build the team around Ming and Francis, trade Mobley for an enforcer....and watch this team soar.

DD

11. basketball

basketball Contributing Member

First of all, I don't think any of them will be traded. But if one had to be traded it wouldn't be Yao. Les know he is sitting on a gold mine with Yao. Mobley can be replace as well as most of the players on the Rockets . But where do you find a 7'6" Center with all his skills and attract world wide attention like Yao does. When is the last time a team who is in the lottery 3 straight years got so much attention from the media? The only way that Yao will be with another team is he decided to leave after his contract is up. Trust me that whole Rockets team include our coach will be leaving first before Les allow Yao to go somewhere else. Don't expect Yao to go anywhere. If our current players do not fit in with Yao then they will traded for players that will. But Les will give them time to adjust to play with each other. So for them to be a part of something big, the current players better learn how to play with the big man.

12. 3 kids

3 kids Member

Dont think that dumping Mobley would antagonize Francis, if he wants to win a championship, he must realize sacrifices need to be made, he said it all along," u need a big man to contend", other than than u just need complimentary players.. a barely above averaged player like Mobes is not hard to find in the NBA....

13. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Any idea where he is in the league out of the guards?

Am I the only one that, when watching a game, notices that several times during the game he'll have a stupid look on his face like he doesn't know where he is? I don't know, it just seems like every once in a while, he'll have a look on his face like he's completely lost.

14. tsl99

tsl99 Member

The title of thread is pathetic, how about we trade Francis and Mobley to Memphis tomorrow?

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Rudy doesn't think they are redundant. He plays them each 40 minutes a game.

16. hamachi

hamachi Member

Fine. Get rid of Francis, and tell him to take his lover Cat with him. If this is really the case -- that Francis won't tolerate a Cat trade -- I've had it with both of them.

But we'll suck even worse without them? So what. It's not like I get any enjoyment out of watching either of them walk the ball up the court and jack up crap. Even if we do win a little more than we lose.

Something is wrong when my wife has to wake me up while watching a Rockets game, instead of telling me to calm down. Something is wrong when my 6-year-old niece asks, "why doesn't he let the other guys play?"

Maybe the threat of getting rid of one of them will make them "behave." As in a parent telling their kids, "Do I have to separate you two?"

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Precisely.

Steve and Cat may love each other (LIKE BROTHERS! BROTHERS! sheesh, what dirty minds ya'll have), but hell, Steve has a telephone. He has to live away from his grandma, he can do the same with Cat.

Besides, Cat would only get moved if we netted someone really good (Brand? oh pleeze, God, pleeze...) (And Steve and Brand are buddies, too, so....)

18. wiredog

wiredog Member

Best thing would be Mobley to remember the last Minn and Sac games and realize that he is an amazing player, and he can be so much greater if he plays like he did in those two games. Playing like last night only hurts the team and himself. I bash Mobley openly, but I admit he has awesome skills. he is also a great person. I'd hate to see him go. he just needs to realize that he is mischanneling his talent.

19. wiredog

wiredog Member

That's funny cause I was watching with my wife and she's not a sports fan. She watches the Rockets with me. She said last night, "Was that Mobley again?" and "That guy is wide open. Why don't they pass?" :)

20. GB_Rocket

GB_Rocket Contributing Member

Says it all right here.