1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Lin is better for the Rockets and Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by catch22, Jan 18, 2013.

1. visible

visible Member

King to Seattle is no way near close and maybe dead in the end.

Even Seattle got Kings, Seattle is the big markset for basket ball. Owner doesn't have to work that hard to boost revenue. But if they can get Lin, it definitely help me to get excuse for season tickets. I remember when Yao was in town, it was always a soldout.

2. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

do you actually take screaming A smith seriously, that man backtracks more than other sports analyst i know

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think alot of people have Lin pictured as a player that can sort of be like Steve Nash in Phoenix. That's not how the Rockets offense is run in a traditional sense. Very rarely does the person who brings the ball up the court actually initiate the offense. In theory the ball carrier up the court should pass it to a wing, who then passes the ball side to side as the big man comes up to set picks.

In the Rockets offense, there is so much side to side ball movement, its just different. You aren't relying on one sole ball handler at the top of the key to initiate the offense, because in theory you should be able to attack the basket from both wing positions.

So in reality, you really dont need a true PG. You just someone to bring the ball up the court and you need three penetrating guards/forwards who can also hit the 3. The 4 man really gets the least amount of action on the offensive end.

-With Harden, he's often where the ball ends up when there is not other way of penetrating the defense because he gives them the best chance of making something happen when the defense is set. Hence why he gets the blame for being a ball hog just as Kobe gets the same kind of blame in LA(even though Kobe does take bad shots early in the shot clock too).

Long term you would love to either improve Asik offensively enough, or make a move for a Amare in his prime type of big man who can roll well enough to rim to open up the wings even more. But short term, the 3 point shot is going to be very, very important. Because when you pass up shots, or drive to the lane when the defense has already packed the paint, you are throwing a wrench in the offense, and pumping the breaks.

Even if Lin doesn't shoot the ball like Steve Kerr, he needs to at least shoot the ball with enough confidence to keep the offensive gameplan going. Long term, I fully expect the coaching staff to install more sets in the half court that allow Jeremy to be Jeremy long term. Short term, shooting the 3 ball is something he must do whether he makes it or he doesnt. That has nothing to do with James Harden or who brings the ball up the court.

1 person likes this.
  4. Jedster

Jedster Member

I don't mean to flame but I am curious as to why you think Lin can only improve a little bit. Do you really think that with enough work put in, and maybe even a new shooting coach, that Lin just has no talent? It's fine if you think that, I just want to know why.

Personally I think that if Lin is serious about it, he has the ability to become a great long range shooter. Even Kidd and Parker talk about how bad they were early in their careers. If they could overcome their shooting woes, why can't Lin?

5. dobro1229

I think he's just referring to the notion that you should highlight your attributes, and be true to your own game. Lin is at his best when he's attacking the rim, so why would he want to try and be something he's not? I think that's all he's getting at.

We are talking about something much more complex then that.

6. larry cook

larry cook Member

Trade Lin for one of Shumpert, Bledsoe or Bradley and we're set.

sounds reasonable aye, really liking this 3 guys upside at this point, if we could some how get Cousins though that would be Awesome! I say Morey push the Kings for him with all the turmoil going on, crank up a deal they can't deny. We do have a few expendables on our roster to pair with a few assets. I wonder why tj never gets his crack at power forward, the guy is very athletic and as strong as an Ox ali Greg Smith but faster. Mchale rotations just fails epicly when he tries to go so small leaving ppat at the five. Why not put tj in there with greg smith and form a bruiser bro mentality off the bench, wasn't Mchale a low post beast doesn't he get we need more toughness.

7. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

based on your description of our offense, please rox front office, trade lin as ASAP. he won't be a good fit with the system you mentioned.

8. dobro1229

Not necessarily. He only needs to be good enough of a shooter to keep the defense up closer to the 3 point line to open up driving lanes. He doesn't have to be Steve Novak. Harden, Lin, and Parsons are all very good creating with open driving lanes. Hence why the 4 man needs to space the floor.

Space is the key word to this Rockets offense. Which is what Lin and Harden both need to be at their best offensively in their own right.

There are virtually no NBA teams that will let Lin be Nash in Phoenix with the kind of weapons he would need around him to be successful in that kind of offense. Any fan thinking that would be the case elsewhere is largely mistaken. This is most likely Jeremy's best chance at being successful here in Houston. He wont find this kind of opportunity elsewhere.

9. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

so the question becomes is this style of offense actually any good? or is it based on a whole buncha analytics and doesnt actually work on the court?

10. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

he can shoot 3 but within his game. he is not a good spotup shooter.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Why wouldn't he be?

He has the size to play either backcourt position. He is a good enough passer and plays well on the break... he also has the quickness needed to get to the basket.

All he needs is a 3 point shot.

12. Nook

Nook Member

It isn't really that much different than what the Celtics ran in the 80's when they were the best team in the NBA.

The Rockets concept is very sound, having players at every position that can score inside (be it drive or finishing) and can get spacing by hitting 3's.

Honestly the hardest part is on the defensive end. The reason being that in order for the offense to work, you need very good team defense because sometimes you will have players out of position (Parsons at the 4, Lin at the 2 [if he shots better]). Therefore you need a lot of discipline on the defensive end, and have to be willing and able to not deviate from a very structure defensive system.

13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

He's not a good spot up shooter right now, but that doesn't mean he might not be in the future. Many many players were not great shooters when they came into the league, but by the time they were deep into their career they had become great spot up shooters. Especially at the PG position.

14. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

do you think it is useful to argue "IF"? i said again and again i don't believe he will be a good spot up shooter. if you think he can, fine with me.

15. jocar

jocar Member

How are you so sure that the nights he has high scoring games, he's not playing the way Mchale wants him to? Maybe the days he sucks is when he's not doing what coaching wants him to do. I don't see Mchale on the sidelines objecting to Lin taking the initiative and attempting shots. I do see Lin and anyone else getting benched when they're not contributing anything. When has he been punished for putting up points?
    I'd like to see some proof from either side.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Is he a productive player RIGHT NOW on the Rockets?

Because the system is not going to suddenly change..... but yes, he will be a better player if he can shoot 3's.

17. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

it's true for a rookie since he is not used to the distance of 3 pt line. they just need to use to the distance. however, althought lin didn't play alot in NBA level, he has had experience in practice, d-league, and off season to sharpen his long balls. i don't believe he is lazy bum. he was fighting for a spot on nba team. no reason to doubt his effort on improving himself including long ball.

18. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

he has been in half of total time when he is on the court.

19. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

when he has a bag of harden, harden, harden, and .... on his back, he is lost.

20. conquistador#11

don't see how 15/8 is not foreseeable future and don't understand why those numbers would be looked down upon by our forum gms? He just has to take 3.2 more shots, and hopefully not three pointers.