1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Lin is better for the Rockets and Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by catch22, Jan 18, 2013.

1. teebone21

teebone21 Member

a PG that can run offense and hit a jumper would do wonders for this team. Lin would be averaging 20ppg if he could shoot . Now he pumpfakes 99% of the time and runs headfirst to the rim usually resulting in a turnover

2. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

a little off topic here but anyone know his status after the 3rd year, a RFA?

TIA.

3. Nook

Nook Member

I estimated his averages....

Also, the fact that Lin is shooting so poorly from the 3 point line only proves my point....

If he is getting 12.3/6.3 now with no 3 point shot means he has more room to improve....

What does the Knicks having a post option have anything to do with this?

Are you telling me that Lin's assists would not increase with better post players?

4. joepu

joepu Member

That is what I would like to see from Lin. He's already average or above average in all other areas. If he gets his 3pt% to at least 35%, that will take him to the next level. I think there is a 50/50 chance he gets there in a couple more seasons.

5. pnr

pnr Member

What worries me is that Rondo's 3 point percentage has never been respectable despite working on it every offseason. Hopefully Lin hires a different shooting coach this offseason.

6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

He might not be hard to move, I'm just trying to think of the number of teams that don't already have a point they are content with. And then you have to think of a trade that would make sense for the Rockets. Someone mentioned that the Lakers would want to trade Lin for Gasol, but do the Rockets want Gasol and his horrible contract at all? I don't want Gasol. I don't want to trade Lin if we have to take back a lot of trash that would limit what the Rockets could do because of salary cap issues.

The way I look at it, Lin was a free agent this past summer. He was coming off a near miraculous month or two with the Knicks, and how many teams were after him? I don't remember the entire league bidding on Lin. And I think everyone would agree he hasn't played to the same superstar level he played at with the Knicks. I really would like to know how other teams feel about him. And again, I really wouldn't want to trade Lin unless Beverley turns into a big time player.

7. torocan

torocan Member

He didn't have a post presence during Linsanity, however he did have a knock down 3 point shooter to kick out to in Steve Novak, and an elite Rim finisher in Tyson Chandler.

They also had a stronger defensive squad (Knicks defense in PPG and efficiency was top 5 during the Linsanity period) with Chandler (DPOY) at center and Iman Shumpert (one of the better perimeter defenders) supplemented by Jared Jeffries (decent role player defender).

They also had multiple athletic players that were good at cutting to the basket and scoring from off the ball movement.

Apples and oranges, but the idea that Harden and Lin need more reliable secondary scoring options and at least one more person who can reduce doubling on them in the lanes (as either a stretch, rim or post presence) would apply.

8. rokit

rokit Member

people are saying lin and harden need to adjust and make their game well rounded, but what kind of adjustment did harden make so far?

nobody is saying lin should be a #1 option, but he should be allowed to create a lot more, set some high screens for him, let him shoot of the dribble a lot more, stuff like that...
    having lin in such a diminished role is cool if it makes harden play better and rockets get the win, but when the team starts getting into losing streaks you have to wonder if some changes should be made.

9. Jedster

Jedster Member

Is he not allowed some form of a vacation in the off season? I'm pretty sure there are also plenty of players in the NBA who need to improve on something...but how come there aren't people telling them they can't take a month long vacation in the off season?

Be fair to another human being will ya?

10. Nook

Nook Member

Who said Harden needs to make adjustments FOR Lin? Harden is alpha dog, by FAR the best player on the Rockets and at 23 one of the ten most productive players in the NBA.

Harden needs to improve as a basketball player, namely as a team defender, however he does not need to adjust his game for Lin. He already sets more screens for Lin than anyone else on the team.

Harden is not taking shots away from Lin, nor is he sabotaging Lin's game.

1 person likes this.
  11. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't feel Lin has a small role in our offense. I think he passes up a lot of shots. He has the ball in his hands a lot in my opinion. Many times he dribble into the lane and does nothing. Many time he has open shots from the perimeter and he doesn't take them. He just needs to be aggressive and take his shots.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you. I believe the Rockets would love Lin to shoot more. However he has no confidence in his jumper and that makes him hesitant.... what bothers me is this idea that the Rockets are some how holding Lin back. He plays 33 minutes a night, gets open looks and other than Harden has more freedom and say in the offense than everyone else.

Lin's problems all can be traced back to his jumper.

13. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

see if sacramento will take Lin and Parson + filler for Cousincs + Robinson + fillers.
    The New owners want to generate fan interest and revenue, no way they do not at least listen to a package around Lin and Parsons

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Umm... have you not seen the play they have run consistently the past 3 weeks that has Harden coming up to set a pick for Lin? The play, while akward looking at times, puts the two defenders in a place where they have to change directions, and gives both Lin & Harden that split second to make a move towards the basket.

Just like Lin, Harden isn't necessarily ever going to be a spot up 3 point shooter, but the fact that he is a 3 point threat when he is off the ball makes him much harder to defend when the ball is in Parsons/Lin's hands because the help defender cannot pack the driving lanes to leave Harden wide open. The help defender(Lin's man) can do this however because Lin is not a threat from 3 point land.

Nobody is wanting Lin to be a Steve Kerr 3 point shooter, just as nobody wants Harden to be a Steve Kerr 3 point shooter, but in this offense, they both need to at least keep the defense honest enough to create the spacing needed to do what they both do best.... drive the lane.

The Rockets offense is all about sharing the ball, and breaking down the defense with the 3 point shot opening up driving lanes, and vice versa. When Lin doesn't take the open 3, or when the team goes cold enough from 3 where the defense can pack the paint it kills the offensive flow.

So LOF'ers- This isn't about Lin and Harden, its about the offensive system in which Lin needs to stay true to. A big part of that is being able to hit the 3. Its all about the spacing that it gives you to do what they do best... which is create driving lanes. Get that through your heads please.

The coaches have already shown the ability to try different sets to free up Lin, so don't play stupid and act like this is an issue that can't be corrected.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with this....

Would just add that under Finch's system it is even MORE important that the point guard be a competent 3 point shooter. For the system to work correctly, the team has to have players that can penetrate/score inside and hit open 3's. That is why you hear Morey discuss stretch 4's and why Patterson has had to learn to hit 3's.

16. rockets0_12_7_1

exactly , he is capable of driving inside and making shots , but instead he passes it to Harden or an open three point shooter etc... , he needs to build up his confidence more by taking more shots , especially if its a good look, even if they don't go in at first , if he keeps at it they'll eventually go in, kind of like Kyle Lowry , hes just needs to keep practicing his three pointers. He's still technically a rookie this season , so he still has time to develop.

17. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

of coz, it is everyone's wish. let's face the reality, has he ever been a good long ball shooter? no. i doubt he will be. he may improve a little bit but not big enough for other teams to care. except asik, lin is the worst shooter among five starters. even he may improve alittle bit, he will be the last option to take the long ball.

let me ask you a question regarding the words you used, "the sole focus of an offense". i don't want to misunderstand it. is it where an offense starts or is it where an offense ends?

if the first case is what you mean, i have no problem with lin running the show all the time. actually i support this. he is our starting pg. it is his job. he has proved he is capable to do it. there is no need to share pg duty with other players, including harden. taking away his strenght half time he is on the court and asking him to be a spot shooter where we still have other players who can do better sound a really bad management. harden should be our backup ball handler if lin has trouble due to other team defense.

if you mean 2nd one, i agree harden should score most. lin shouldn't be #1 option.

18. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

LIN, PARSONS, PATTERSON FOR COUSINS, SALMONS, T. ROBINSON WORKS

19. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

that's the reason i don't believe lin will ever be a good long ball shooter. even rondo is not good at 3 but he is still a good pg. why? boston doesn't ask him to be a spotup shooter. boston wants him to start offense and be their pg all the time.

20. zdrav

zdrav Member

Yeah, he sucks so much that his greatest fan, Stephen A. Smith, conceded that Lin will be a star in 2-4 years time.

:rolleyes: