1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Lin is better for the Rockets and Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by catch22, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

i would do it, but the Blazers would not.
    Lillard is already better than Lin, was a lottery pick and is showing great potential.
    They have a better version of Parsons in Batum (we drafted him too)
    Patterson, Aldrich.Donuts<<<<Aldridge

2. TTNN

TTNN Member

I think Lin and Harden could play fine together. They share the ball perfectly on their first two games together, until our coaches remove Lin's game out of the play book. Even in last game, Lin and Harden were running 1,2 p&r perfectly, and share the ball, till there is a time out, then we see Harden ISO, or Lin ISO.

Both Lin and Harden are team person, they lean on each other to be successful, somehow I have more trust on them to work this out than our coaches.

Why we have to have only black and white, and no any shade of gray in between? Why we have to go to Harden as 1st option and then Lin, and no any dynamic shifting focus?

3. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

We should start Royce White as PG ;)

4. Arthurprescott2

Rondo?

Wouldn't the "ideal" be someone more along the lines of Conley? Can shoot long range & a very good defender for a PG.

5. Gil

Gil Member

Trade Lin for one of Shumpert, Bledsoe or Bradley and we're set.

6. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

if only he would agree to fly to game ;)

7. Karolik

Karolik Member

Trade Lin for Chris Paul. CP3 > Harden so CP3 can dominate the ball and so Harden can be the new spot up shooter. It will work out because Harden is a better spot up shooter than Lin.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It has repeatedly. This all comes down to LOF'ers wanting Lin to be the sole focus of an offense for an NBA team. If they have some insight as to what can be done in the game plan to be more affective then Im all ears, but when you come out and say that he should be traded to a team that will let him be the focal point of the offense you lose all credibility on here. Lin is good, but he's not Lebron, and probably never will be.

No NBA team will not have other players that Lin or anyone else will have to share the ball with. The Linsanity period was an anomaly that will never be re-created unless a team like the Knicks have a star player, or star players go down in injury, and insert Lin into the role of a ball dominant play maker for a stretch of games.

Bad NBA teams wont have as good of role players surrounding Lin as the Knicks did, and Good NBA teams will almost certainly have another ball dominant offensive player.

So... its in Lin's fans best interest for him to work it out here in Houston, and continue to improve his all around game to be affective when the offense isn't soley based around him.

9. torocan

torocan Member

Chris Paul leaving the Clippers is a pipe dream at this point. The Clippers are a championship contender right now, they're very deep, and they're not only winning games like crazy but shattering franchise records.

That's aside from the benefits of being in LA.

Folks really need to stop dreaming about players that we're never going to get. Boston isn't letting go of Rondo, and if they did it would be because he becomes and intolerable headcase.

Chris Paul isn't going anywhere either.

You might as well dream about Lebron, Kobe, Love or Melo being traded this season.

Now, if there are better PG options out there that can be had for a reasonable trade package, I doubt it's 100% off the table. On the other hand, I suspect that the FO is far more heavily focused on finding a good 4, back up Center, or back up 3.

Unless you're literally getting an all star/super star PG, we can find much easier and more impactful upgrades at the 3, 4 or back up Center position.

10. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets ultimately will depend on help/team defense. Conley is a little short for what they want at the 1. They want players that can easily slide over to the 2.

Conley would work, so would Reddick, Stephen Curry, Jimmy Fredette.

11. rockets0_12_7_1

exactly , thank you^
    everyone just please stop it w/ the Lin trade threads , why can't you just give it time?! Obviously were not going to be an elite team right now , were lucky if we even make it to the playoffs , its called rebuilding for a reason. Honestly I think we are doing well for the youngest team in the NBA, yes there will be painful stretches like the one were currently in , but they will have to make those type of mistakes , to learn from them and become a better team. Obviously, we don't have as much talent as when Oklahoma started but we can develop into a team like theirs with time , maybe even as early as the beginning of next season , who knows? why can't ya'll just be patient?! I'm sure we'll make some moves sooner or later , but I don't think they will involve anyone name James Harden or Jeremy Lin , or maybe even Chandler Parsons , lol I mean have you seen how we've been using Chandler for marketing for the Denver game? :rolleyes:

12. Nook

Nook Member

Chris Paul is not leaving the Clippers. If he did leave LA it would not be for the Rockets.

I do not entirely agree with this, I think Rondo could become available and his cost would not be as high as people think, but he does not fit the Rockets system regardless.

Improving the point guard position will make a small improvement to the team. Improving the power forward position will make a huge difference.

Yup.

13. joepu

joepu Member

The best thing for Lin is to improve his 3 point shooting. If he becomes a complete player then he doesn't have to worry about finding a team or a system that fits him.

14. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

day dream. if that is what you want from pg, go ahead and trade lin before his confidence is completely gone. lin wasn't, isn't, and won't be a sharp long ball shooter. book my words.

15. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

What team would want Lin at what he currently gets paid? I don't think the Rockets are going to trade him during this season. If he just learns to shoot three pointers everything will be fine.

However, I do see a possible scenario where he could be traded. If Beverley turns out to be the real deal and plays great basketball for the remainder of the season, I could see the Rockets moving Lin. I really don't think that many teams would want him. But, if the Kings move to Seattle, I could see them wanting to bring in Lin just because of his popularity. I don't see the Rockets getting much in return though.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Really? I do not think that Lin would be that hard to move.

17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I don't know if it's good for the Rockets and Lin or not, or even one or the other.

What I do know is that it sure as hell would make reading the GARM a lot more bearable.

18. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

If people don't think teams would want Lin, then what's the harm of shopping him around and demanding a lot in return?

Lots of teams would want Lin. I'm still on the Knicks board frequently and they would LOVE to have him back over the inefficient Felton (and Felton's still out for another month).

For example, I would bet the Lakers would accept a straight up trade Lin/Gasol.

Our fans . . . . don't deserve Lin.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Sorry to butt in here AggnRox, but I think there is some confusion here on Jeremy Lin and his shooting.

The 3 ball isn't the end all be all for Lin's, but its something if he improves on slightly can help the offense if the opposing teams defense has to account for it. Right now, the defense can lag off of him, and pack the driving lane forcing him to pass the ball to another wing.

If you make them come out on him at the 3 point line, you create better spacing for your own driving lanes, and the overall offense when there is crisp ball movement.

You are correct that is never going to be Steve Kerr from 3 point land, but that doesn't mean its not a hole in his offensive game that can be patched in time. He just needs to create better spacing for himself to have better lanes going to the basket. That will happen if the defender has to play up towards the 3 point line more.

If Lin improves his shot making ability, then the way the defense has to play him changes, and opens up driving lanes... which is his strong suit. The gameplan against Lin now is to play the driving lane on him, and make him beat you as a jump shooter. He is very easy to guard right now. Don't you think that fact actually makes more of a difference in his success than mean old James Harden not giving Jeremy enough touches?

He's a good player, but his game needs to continue to evolve to truly be an offensive force. NBA defenses scout way too well nowadays.

20. Arthurprescott2

Not to quibble here. Just dropping some data off.

There are only 18ish players in this league that are averaging 18 pts per game (~30 players average 17+ ppg) while only 10 players are averaging 7+ assists/game.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/scoring-per-game/sort/avgPoints/year/2013/seasontype/2

Some of those players normally wouldn't/shouldn't be scoring that much and only are because of the circumstances of the team (Deng - no Rose, Mayo - no Dirk for a while, Lillard/Batum/Aldridge - no bench/playing 40 mins per game, Jrue - no Bynum, etc.).

Truehoop article about scoring in the modern NBA.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/53534/where-have-all-the-gunners-gone