1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Lin is better for the Rockets and Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by catch22, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Roxs

Roxs Member

The thing is though, the commenter in that ESPN quote was actually at the game and making assumptions based on what he saw. It might be all lies, it might all truth. Most likely, it's somewhere in between.

Just about everyone here makes assumptions based on what they saw on TV or just what they see in the box score. Hell, some people here makes comments based on what other forum users say.

The fact of the matter is that the coaching dynamic is of great importance to a team and that is something we see so little of on TV. And everyone draws conclusions on so little actual evidence.

If there is a coaching problem then Lin isn't going to be the only one affected. TD has obviously been affected much more harshly. The entire team is not going to get better if the coaches aren't doing their jobs.

2. cw3k

cw3k Member

I have never hear any successful people say build weakness. It is always build on your strength and improve your weakness.

It is like asking Howards stop dunking and work on his 3s.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

This reminds me of Christoph Waltz in "Django Unchained".

He speaks highly literate English to a pair of unlettered redneck oafs who keep interrupting him with, "English; speak English."

"Ah, yes, I'm sorry, it is a second language for me..."

4. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Or asking Howard to work on his free throws instead of dunking. Not being able to shoot 3's is not considered a weakness for the center position.

5. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

I kind of feel that the original analysis of that guy was pretty spot on. I kind of read that too when I watch the game. Looks like he doesn't belong to the team. Bear in mind, I'm a big Lin fan, so let's get that out of the way. I'm just sayin that if you want to attack me for being an LOF, then I already concede to that.

With that aside, yes I think it's true. Coaches don't feel comfortable w/ Lin. Period. Whatever the reason.

6. Hail to the V

Hail to the V Member

This must be the story Jason Friedman referred to on today's RocketsCast Live. A supposed mind-reading tale that no one should read into other than as fiction.

The whole team is slumping and the focus is on one guy. That's pretty terrible and unfair. I hope the team never reads these threads, and focuses only on their games.

Here's one incontrovertible fact: the schedule has been brutal after they concluded an amazing stretch of wins, where everyone excelled. This squad is just spent, and by the grace of the refs and Harden getting the calls he otherwise hasn't been getting, they won - against the Bobcats. And thank God for Beverley who is able to come in with fresh legs and awesome skills to provide that much needed spark.

This team ran a high octane offense for an exciting stretch and now they are for the most part burned out. Expect some brutal losses until the All-Star break. Hopefully then they will get rested, and get some practices in. The talent is here for a push into the playoffs, so I ain't even worried.

7. lalala902102001

If another team trades for Lin would Lin's salary be $8.3 mil per year againast their cap or $5/5/15 mil because I think Lin is pretty much untradeable is the latter one is the case.

8. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Either McHale or Lin has to go. I prefer it to be McHale.

Losing streak 2 under the McFail system starts tomorrow.

9. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

I totally agree. We're going to be fighting a Denver team that could beat OKC and Miami. We could barely beat the bobcats with Mchale or Sampson's failed half court sets. It's not like when they benched Lin in the 4th yesterday, the Rockets surged past the Bobcats and annihilated them.

10. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

With respect to what I just bolded, I think if the players read through these threads, they'r probably laughing becuase they're thinking, "are you serious? That's not what happened!"

Lots of things go on behind the scenes. It's amazing how little we know of what's going on in the locker room.

11. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

We beat the Hornets because we started to trap Walker and Sessions on the PnR early in the 3rd quarter. This was initiated by JLin around 2 minutes into the 3rd Q when he told Asik to come up from the paint to cover Walker.
    After Denver (a Loss) we play NO on the road. They've figured us out and unless we change something - another L. Then Brooklyn at home - loss.
    Then goodbye McHale - don't let the door hit you on the way out.

12. Arthurprescott2

What did Friedman have to say about it?

13. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Yea at the 33min mark Jason comments on it http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/rocketscast-live-last

Lin fans are tweeting it to Morey and others as well. Silly stuff.

14. just a word

just a word Member

Hah, omg. That's the absolute silliest. Over and over advice both in my workplace and in my dojo is to force yourself to do the things you suck at.

You absolutely immerse yourself in the stuff you hate, because that's how you improve your weaknesses; and because you're forced to, say, speak only in a language you're weak at, or by doing pushups because you suck at them, do you improve on them quickly. You CAN do the thing were you try to multitask and do both things at once, but you learn aLOT slower.

15. torocan

torocan Member

Yes, it's how you improve yourself... in PRACTICE, or during SPARRING.

If you're in a fight for your life as a martial artist, the LAST thing you do is test out your weaknesses.

"Hrm, this guy is trying to kill me.. think I'll try that spinning kick that always ends up with me off balance and on my butt!"

Uh, no.

I believe the same applies to basketball. You play to your strengths unless you're blowing out the other team or being blown out. Otherwise, leave it in PRACTICE until you're ready to roll it out.

16. Jedster

Jedster Member

I liked the story too. Even if it was not from an objective perspective, it was eyewitness stuff, entertaining and revealed some sidelines drama that the cameras don't catch. I'm grateful the original poster wrote that.

17. kcal

kcal Member

I am absolutely in 100% agreement here.

It would be absolutely bizarre for example, to try to turn Shaq into a PG or Rodman into a SF a la pippen.

Likewise, it's flat out dumb to try to turn a ball dominant PG into a spot up 3 pt shooter. The insanity of it is forced upon us every game by mac, and it is just stunning that les and morey sit on the sidelines doing nothing.

Mac's long leash must be the result of political and PR reasons, which have nothing to do with basketball.

While I am truly sympathetic to mac's private situation, his basketball IQ is truly laughable.

18. nykb17

nykb17 Member

Hearing some grumblings that Dwight is being shopped again. Wish Morey would get into that and trade Asik, Lin, Greg Smith and TJones. The duo of Harden and Dwight would remind a lot of people of Shaq and Wade.

19. just a word

just a word Member

But this is a rebuilding year. :confused: And honestly sparring-speed isn't the same as gametime-speed. You can only get your abilities up to a certain point in practice, and from all accounts (from Lin's shooting coach, from people's accounts watching shootarounds, Lin himself) his shooting had/has been better than it's been in game. Sometimes there's no experience like in the real thing; sometimes there's no way to dig deep unless your back is against the wall and you manage to pull out something that surprises even yourself.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I see your point. But in Lin's case, it sometimes like his right hook is his strength, but most of his opponents have learned to block it consistently.