1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading Lin is better for the Rockets and Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by catch22, Jan 18, 2013.

1. art

art Member

rockets are not giving up on lin
    unless you want chris duhon, trust me, you dont want a rotation of duhon/toney
    close this thread

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

^ this. Though many Lin fans think that Lin might play a bit better with the ball in his hands why do they think that teams are dying for the chance for that to happen? Other teams don't want. A marginal inconsistent starter who may drop the "38" points occasionally but will be super inconsistent. Learning to play off the ball does wonders in terms of consistency. There are certain rungs of the ladder a player needs to go up in order for his game to properly mature. Case and point, harden with the thunder had a role off the bench in which he had to be efficient with his minutes and possessions, if anything that's helped his game. Sure the rockets would want to trade Lin but nobody would be willing to take on his ridiculous contract. It would be in his interest to learn the ways here and develop into a proper player.

3. pnr

pnr Member

I think he'd have to be number 1 option to average those numbers just because of how ball dominant he is. I think if his shot improves he can be a consistent 15/7 guy.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Hey man AB was awesome that one season before he got hurt and was integral to us winning our first playoff series in the last decade.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Patrick Beverly era to begin in 3, 2, 1...

6. catch22

catch22 Member

to get more assist we need a big who can catches the ball and score in the post
    , which we don't have

7. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Give him another summer to work on his 3-pt shot, then he'll be more useful off the ball. Hope he doesn't tour Asia during the summer again.

8. CertifiedTroll

Lin for Lillard

9. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

Yeah, its not like Lin is young or anything; he is way to old to improve at any of those areas. He is way passed his peak:rolleyes:.

Seriously, he is young, inexperienced, he is 24 years old. Everyone is acting like he has been playing for 12 years or something. Does he need to improve on those areas...hell yea but do not assume he can't. Patience. We just need our young players to get better from one season to the next and we will be fine.

10. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

hahaha dont kid yourself, Lin's trade value is pretty low.
    We took that leap of faith on him after Linsanity and every other team watched our experiment while Lin came down to earth.

If the Rockets play their cards right, i see a 6th man role in Lin's future.
    But he's not starting pg material, neither is he a good shooter to convert him into a starting sg and move Harden one up or one down.
    So his other option is back up pg or 6th man.
    But his trade value now is mehhhhh

11. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh I dont know... he is 13/6/2 right now with no jumper and no post player to pass to. Really, all Lin has to do is become a competent 3 point shooter and his game will open up a lot.

I am not a LOF, and do not think you will ever see Linsanity again. However, he has good size, is very quick and penetrates well. With no outside shot teams are giving him the 3, and limiting his penetration. If he becomes a 38% 3 point shooter you will see the lane open up, free throws increase and PPS go up. Give him a post player and his assists can go up 1-2 a game.

There are no guarantees that he improves his shot.... for every Kyle Lowry and Michael Redd, there is a Rod Strickland or Steve Francis...... but it is not THAT big a long shot.

12. split41

split41 Member

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam. Rox aren't trading Lin before the end of his first season as a rocket. Reassess next season. /thread

13. Nook

Nook Member

He has basically been a 15/7 guy after the first month of the season... been 13/6.5/2.2 after the poor start.

I expect Lin will have the ball in hands a lot, but the Finch system does not require the point guard to set the offense.

I will point out that if his 3 point shot improves he will not need the ball in his hands, he will get plenty of kick outs to hit the 3. If Lin hit 3's the Rockets offense would really open up.

14. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I would love to see a Rondo for Lin + pieces type of trade.

15. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

I doubt Danny Ainge is that dumb. I hope he is, but i doubt if he is.
    Even if he was, doc rivers might slap the stupidity off should he attempt to accept such a trade

16. CertifiedTroll

17. Nook

Nook Member

Rondo is a better player than Lin, but Rondo does not fit the type of player that Finch wants. The Rockets point guard needs to be able to shoot 3's and penetrate. Rondo is a superior passer and defender.... but in order for Finch's system to work properly everyone needs to be decent from the outside. Otherwise you have a situation we have had the last 5 games, just pack the paint.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This S$%# Again!!!

Seriously, we have been down this road. Lin is not getting traded any time soon. Harden and Lin can coexist in due time. They have already progressed way faster than the likes of other tandems like Jennings/Ellis, Wade/Lebron, Kobe and everyone else has. The coaches have done a good job so far or running plays differently to get them both involved. At times, they are going to struggle, but its just part of the process. Lin and Harden, are just both going to have to work on making their games more well rounded in due time.

On the otherhand if you are a LOF and just want to see a team run strickly through him.... be careful what you wish for. There is virtually NO DECENT TEAM in the NBA that wont take the ball out of Lin's hands for a significant amount of possessions every game.

So either way, Lin is going to have to improve his all around game enough to be affective when playing off the ball enough to be a factor when the ball isn't in his hands on virtually every decent team that has another ball dominant player. That's just the way the NBA world works.

Im not saying the Rockets can't run plays for Lin in stretches because I do believe they can, but just know that there is NO DECENT NBA TEAM that will run 100% of their offensive plays with Jeremy freaking Lin as the sole focal point. That's never going to happen unless that team is completely terrible.

19. pnr

pnr Member

Rondo would be terrible in this system. He's shooting worse from 3 than Lin.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I feel like this has been discussed here before. Recently. Repeatedly.

But it won't happen. The earliest I could see him traded is the 3rd year of his contract, but even then I have a hard time seeing it happen. I think the Rockets like him, and I think he will play better in two years' time. I could see 15 ppg, 8 apg, 2 spg on 45% FG and 30% 3PT for him. Good enough if we have some low-post scoring.