1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

trade walt

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, Oct 18, 2001.

Tags:
  1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So basically you're saying that he's a Cato who can rebound and block shots, and makes less money?

2. RocketFan4ever

RocketFan4ever Contributing Member

I see a trade with Langhi...plus the exception. But not Walt. The only real thing I see wrong with Walt is that he makes way too much money. He is looking real good thispreseason, and when he is on his game his threes are very helpful. He is good for chemistry purposes..as well as age purposes. I like the 3 ball.....when its fallin. Langhi is useless as well as the very little med. exception.

what ya think

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

So basically you're saying that he's a Cato who can rebound and block shots, and makes less money?

Who doesn't stack up well compared to Cato? Doesn't mean we need 2 stiffs out there. I will say this for KC - at least he's shown some offensive tools (in 99-00) and even last year hit a good percentage of the shots he did take (because he only takes shots that he can make). We could never, ever play Foyle at the end of the games, since he shoots free throws so atrociously. It's bad enough to play 4 on 5 offensively, its much worse when people are playing Hack-a-Adonal defense because your center shoots 41% from the line. Shaq would be embarrassed by that number. Jim McIlvane blocks shots, too, and he's no worse an option than Foyle is.

I would love to have a good defensive center, but he at least has to have some semblance of an offensive game. And I'm not convinced that Foyle's a good defender just because he can block a few shots a game, anyway.

4. enbehay

enbehay Member

As I mentioned earlier, if that is the case, Chenowith in particular would make a good 1-year pickup -- big bodied defender who can shoot. His problem is getting up and down the floor with Rocket speedsters -- same as Hakeem had he stayed.

5. sweetpea

sweetpea Member

Foyle put up 15 last night with 10 boards, and 5 blocks. That is good enough for us on nightly basis. plus cheaper than Cato.

check the stats. he is not that bad plus we get blount. People don't understand that we cann't trade the medical exception.It only let us go over the cap to make up for Moe, it can not be givin or traded to another team;)

6. sweetpea

sweetpea Member

If every one sit back and think, we need a Theo Ratcliff type of player that can run with the Rox. We don't need to have to run plays for him to score , but to score on rebounds put backs and fast break points. The only other option would be a Rodman type player without his headaches.the Center we get need to be a rebound machine that can run and score off a break.

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

No way would I trade Walt for Foyle. Foyle, bless his heart, has an aweful offensive game, if ya'll think Cato has rocks for hands you have never seen Foyle. The guy tries hard and has a good ethic, but you would never him to be anything other than your 1st, or preferably, 2nd C/PF guy OFF THE BENCH.

J. White is a far superior option than Foyle. Brad Miller is a far superior option. Dampier would be a far superior option (though I don't know if we have the stomach to negoitate with them right now). MacIllvane or OP for the minimum would be a better option than trading for Foyle. No matter how desperate we are trading Walt for Foyle (and whatever inconsequential else needed to make the trade work) is just a bad long term move. Forston would also be better for the long term, even if we end up with a bunch of 6'7" guys having to play center at times.

Also, yeah, the Theo Ratliff-type guy is the ticket. If only we had a Mutumbo-type fellow to offer as bait. On a more serious note, one of the closest guys to Ratliff's progression (if you look at physical attributes and stats by age/year in league) is our own Kelvin. If only he had the ethic he would not have stopped progressing 1.5 years ago, would be close today where Ratliff was maybe two years ago.

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you haven't seen much of Foyle and Fortson because they are worlds apart. Despite his lack of height, Danny Fortson is an absolute stud. He would be the ideal power forward for this team. On the other hand, you'de be hard pressed to find an NBA player, not named Devin Gray, with less skill than Adonal Foyle. The man's hands are rocks; they make it appear as if Kelvin Cato is out there with a baseball glove. I wouldn't be opposed to an acquisition of Foyle, just because our frontcourt situation is so pathetic at this point that there are no greater alternatives.

Also, no matter how terrible Walt may be, do not underestimate his role on this team. His presence in the lockerroom greatly outweighs any return his trade value may bring.

9. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Isn't Walt the man in practice? I forget.

Hi Cabbage.

CBFC

10. B

B Contributing Member

Walt has scored well this preseason, but shot poorly. If he can put the two together sometime this season his trade value may be high enough to do one of the trades proposed in this thread. We really don't have much leverage with Walt right now, except for teams looking to free cap space next year. I think in most cases Walt is better than most of the REALISTIC trades that could happen. And realistic doesn't mean that realGM accepts it, but that the other team would actually consider it.

Just my thoughts,
    B

11. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

I think we are done with the Warriors.

12. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

If Walt can put the two things, scoring and shooting percentage, togehter, why should we trade him?

We're talking about a 20-point scorer here! :eek:

13. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

First of all, with Walt Williams, the Rockets didn't need Glen Rice anymore. Still they got him.

But then the Rockets also have D. Langhi and T. Morris.

I never liked Rice.

But I guess since Rudy T. got him, the Rockets are stuck with Rice.

I'd rather the Rockets waive Langhi, and not renew Rice's contract next year.

Keep Williams.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you haven't seen who our 2 centers are this year. Let me help you out: Jason Collier and Kelvin Cato. I said I would rather have Foyle than Fortson...I didn't think I was going out on a limb with that statement. Why would you acquire a 6'7" power forward, when you've already got one in Kenny Thomas, plus Eddie Griffin and Mo Taylor already on the team? Unless you want to trade one of those guys, I don't see the benefit. You basically summed up my feelings on the subject with "I wouldn't be opposed to an acquisition of Foyle, just because our frontcourt situation is so pathetic at this point that there are no greater alternatives."

15. Villain81

Villain81 Member

This team hopes have came down on whether or not to get mr foyle.. *shakes head*.. please eddie be the trump card we all need..

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Danny Fortson will be a superstar if he can stay healthy. He would be the one frontcourt player from Golden State that I would want. Walt Williams will probably not be traded because of his rapport with Francis and Mobley, the uncertainty of Rice's health, and the fact that Rudy has been praising him for his play so far in camp.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Personally, I don't want to add salary for very limited players. I might be a little ahead, but I think the Rockets will make a serious push for Duncan in 2003. Many people say thats a long way away, but its not. Yes I want to make the playoffs for the next 2yrs and have that foundation there, but I don't want to add long contracts that would prohibit us from making a run. I've been bashed and mauled when i have brought it up, but I think in 2yrs, the spurs team is going to be pretty desperate, we will be moving into a new stadium , and Cato,Taylor and maybe a draft pick will be in SA for Duncan. It won't surprise me when the Rockets resign Thomas to a longer extension because he will be a backup. Also Collier will be the backup too at center. Once this happens, then we'll be championship contenders.

I know the first thing people will say is, " why trade Taylor after giving him a extension?" The same reason why you draft a 4 when you already had one. A team can never have too many good players because if nothing else, they can be used as trade bait. When you check the dynamics of Cato and Taylor's contarct, they equal to the same amount Duncan will be entitled to make $14mil per. This is not a conspiracy theory just to pass time until the season starts, I think with the poor attendence we will suffer, and the new building opening, Rudy and Carrol will make a big move. No owner will want to pay the luxury tax, but if your winning championship and the fans are there, the owner will not mind. Think bout it, Francis, Cat, Rice (Morris taking over by then), Grffin, and Tim , man what a line up. Cal me crazy or whatever, but I'm looking forward to that.

18. RocketFan4ever

RocketFan4ever Contributing Member

this of course assuming that Duncan maintains his all-star performances.....not to be pesamistic, i love Duncan. But its way to early to jump to that subject. We all know how some great players can just vanish...the brightest stars start to fade. I dont want a player come to our team just because of the salary....well not ONLY for the salary. We end up with a Cwebb who was just lookin for the BBD (Bigger Better Deal) Rox have always been known for their awesome chemistry on the bench......they have always been considered the underdogs and the lesser team yet they still kick ass.....even in the championship years.........Duncan will be nice if he really wants to play for us

19. Hydra

Hydra Member

leebigez,

What does adding salary have to do with trading for Tim Duncan? As long as the salaries match, our payroll can be anything we want it to be. I also feel that we will trade for Duncan. I have said so several times in the past. But I do not think that Mo and Cato will get it done. The Spurs will get better offers than that I am sure, and it isn't as if Duncan can threaten to sign with the Rockets outright, because we will be over the cap. I think that the most likely candidates are Glen Rice(expiring contract) and Mo or Griffin (Mo because he could not jump ship for awhile, Griffin because they will want to have a new star to build around.) I know nobody wants to lose EG, but you have to give to get, and Timmy D is the biggest prize there is.

20. Villain81

Villain81 Member

You'd think if San Antonio traded Duncan, he'd go to a team which wasn't in the same conference as the spurs.. aiding another team so they can kick their ass more.. i don't know.. doesnt sound right..