1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Vince?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Shooter1583, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

OK, here's the truth: Vince Carter is NOT a superstar and does not even seem like he's coming close to becoming one. It's not a stretch by any means to say that he's overpaid. He's just a dunker and sometimes a decent 3-point shooter, but he has no midrange game and gets burned on defense. He's just all glamour and fame but no glory. He will end up becoming another Dominique Wilkens. The Raptors need to consider trading Vince because there is some team out there that is likely to give up a lot to get him.

2. huby_n1

huby_n1 Member

Your a real funny guy.

First of all, Carter has one of the best mid-range game in all of the NBA. There's no way the Raptors would trade Vince. All this time they've been bringing role players in, trying to build the franchise around him. If they trade him, who is going to take his spot on offense? The truth is, they have no offense, Vince is their offense.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Ok, here's the real truth: Shooter1583 is a moron.

4. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Hell, if the Raps really think he's crap, I'd be willing to give up Dan Langhi and a second rounder in a New York minute. :eek:

5. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

Trading Vince is by no means a stupid idea. Who can argue with the fact that he is not a leader and that he cannot lead a team. He may be a good player, not a great one. Great players play defense and lead their teams in times of adversity. He obviously has not done that. The fact that he is Toronto's whole offense speaks more for the lack of scorers on Toronto than for Vince. All they have is A. Davis and sometimes Mo. Pete. That's all. I'm not doubting the fact that he is superbly talented but he is NOT a franchise player.

6. finalsbound

You wouldn't have said all this if VC would have hit that shot against the Sixers last year. I disagree with you. He's a great leader. Didn't he have like, 40 points in a playoff game last year? He steps up. Plus, he's looking bad right now cause of his injury. His injury is the whole reason the Raps are facing adversity. Believe me, when Vince is healthy, and Vince is hot...he's absolutely unstoppable. From everywhere on the court.

7. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

All I'm saying is that Vince would not exactly be someone to build a team around, and obviously Toronto has done that. But I think he has been a disappointment considering how talented he is. He seems to take a lot of nights off and he gives the impression that he's not always putting forth his best effort. Considering how much the league worships him, he hasn't taken his game to that next level, ESPECIALLY NOW. Now is the time to say "i'm gonna take ya'll on my back and carry ya'll." He hasn't done that. I know he's been injured and yes, it is admirable that he is playing through pain, but I've always figured that if you're out there playing then there's nothing wrong with you. I do think he is a great player who would fit in with another superstar or two; where he could just sit back and score. But unfortunately, when you're a superstar, there are responsibilities that come with it, and he has not lived up to his billing.

8. bigben

bigben Member

Though Toronto has dealt their first three star draft picks (Stoudamire, Camby and McGrady, not to mention Jonathan Bender) to other teams, extenuating circumstances impelled them. However, the deals have ultimately produced Antonio Davis, Morris Peterson, Alvin Williams and Keon Clark (for whom they traded Kevin Willis) - which have helped to compliment Carter.

Quad-injuries have slowed him down, but he still managed to dump a season-high 43 points at Houston following his return. His supporting cast has stepped it up; for the first time - even before McGrady's departure - Toronto's entire starting five is scoring in double-digits. Toronto, for an Eastern Conference team, is fairly good defensively.

And it is a stretch to say that he currently is overpaid. He's eighth on the Raptors' payroll - just behind Tracy Murray and Yogi. However, his contract extension may be worth as much as $95 mil, depending on the rise of the league's salary cap. It's been a tough year, but he'll return to all-star status. Grunwald would've negotiated a sign-and-trade deal last summer if there was any prospect of a trade.

He's been criticized for taking too many midrange jumpers, but Michael Jordan, by the '87-88 season, experienced much of the same thing. At about that point, there was much talk of the 76ers trading away Barkley in his prime...

9. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

I'd give up the Bulls first round pick this year, next year, Hassell, Crawford and Fizer...

In a heartbeat.

10. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The only thing I agree with is that there is some team out there that will give up a lot to get Carter.

The rest is asinine.

11. BTM

BTM Member

Vince is playing with an injury now that will likely require surgery in the offseason(jumper's knee).

12. finalsbound

Oh yeah? I'd one-up you, but I think that's a bad deal for you. Hassell and Crawford are promising young guards, Fizer at times can be a beast and adding your next two lottery picks is just insane. All this for one player. Sorry. That doesn't sound very good from the Bull's standpoint.

13. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Vince probably should be on the IR. Toronto is not making the playoffs. Same thing with Mobley earlier this year.

14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Maybe they will send us Carter, and if we don't make the playoff next year we will owe them a first round pick. :rolleyes: . I forgot that pick goes to the Griz. Damit. :mad:

15. TexasG

TexasG Member

Even more reason to trade him. That injury is not going to get better throughout his career. Someone mentioned that he may be the next 'Nique ... I would say that he is more along the lines of the next Penny Hardaway... Very good/great player his first few years in the league ---> cronic knee injuries ---> Average player on his best nights ... Even with his struggles this year Carter would have HUGE trade value. He would easily land a very good young prospect or even established young star. Other members of the current Raptors squad could either be kept or traded for draft picks or other players to blend with the young star they got in return for Carter. Plus they wouldn't have to worry about paying Carter that huge ass contract, let someone else pay him (like the Suns are now paying Penny).

16. lpbman

lpbman Member

I don't think you can trade consecutive 1st round picks

anyone know that for sure????

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think many of his critics are the same people who thought Tim Duncan was going to be a bust in the NBA because he was too soft. Just because the guy doesn't run around screaming in peoples faces doesn't mean he's not good.

Toronto is loaded with a.)guys who are better athletes than basketball players, and b.)guys who used to be really good, back in the day. Get a real GM for Toronto, and I bet most of these criticisms will eventually go away.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Maybe, Maybe No?

19. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

My opinion, Vince Carter is a talented player that is more of the "2nd" guy on the team:

-The Wally to Garnett
    -The Pip to 23

The Raptors need to find a true leader on that team.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't put him in the same category as some of the leaders and elite players in the League such as Tmac, Iverson, Kobe, Shaq, Duncan.

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If this is true, then the Sixers should trade Iverson....