1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade "thoughts" from ESPN's Chris Broussard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by davidkconover, May 30, 2012.

1. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I for one think its a mistake. A huge mistake to do anything with Gasol. I think the Rockets not concentrating on moving up in this draft is the wrong thing to do. If Gasol doesnt work out? I hope that is Moreys last move. It certainly is his swan song if it doesnt work out

2. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I agree, well I wouldn't want to hang myself but that is giving up way to much for Gasol. Giving up a young good player for a player on the downside of his career, that's not a good deal.

3. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Gasol will likely retire in a few years, while Lowry has another 10+ years left.

That ship has sailed. Say no to this trade proposal.

4. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Gasol is only 31......look at duncan still dominating

5. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

So Lowry is going to play until he's 36, but Pau won't be able to make it until he's 34?

If Kyle really has one foot out the door, then this is certainly great value for him/Scola.

Would I rather trade Lowry for the Raptor pick (#8)? Sure, I'd rather get younger, and I'm not delusional enough to think that Pau alone will make the team a playoff contender. But if you ask me, who will have more trade value at the deadline, or in the 2013 offseason, give me Pau.

6. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

...throw in Jordan Hill and it makes me think about it....

Then say

NO!

7. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

As far as I know, Pau's trade kicker won't come into play at all. Bima can correct me, but if a player's salary including the bonus would exceed the maximum contract, the kicker is automatically waived.

8. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Ok good...i just woke up and had a bad dream that we didnt have the 14th pick and weren't interested in over the hill gasol. Good to see things are exactly the same.

9. Theking

Theking Member

mcgrady just turned 33.... look at him dominate...

great logic! duncan is a HOF'er... Gasol is a p***y

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

CBA issues make my head want to explode ...

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Are you talking about the Gasol wh has been a WC all star 3 out of the last 4 years?

12. conquistador#11

The only reason to make this trade is to say" hey, look at me, I'm maury and I got you all a super starz! now I'm officially announcing my retirement and going into the food business."
    Now we're stuck with gasol's superstar contract for his not so superstar numbers, while the lakers are freed from salary cap hell.

No to this trade. Look elsewhere. Now if they want to do it straight up for Martin then yeah do it.

13. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Nice!! Only one thing wrong with your logic. McGrady has been diminished by chronic back problems for several years as well as a complete knee rebuild. Like Duncan, Gasol has been relatively injury free and his length will allow him to play much longer at a higher level. Guards and forwards usually flame out earlier than PF and centers because they usually rely on their athleticism to get their shot off and when the legs are gone, so is their game!! As coach Lewis used to preach in college, "You can't teach height and it never takes a night off!!"

All that said, I don't want Gasol any more than you do. He is about 4th on my list of desirable scenarios for the Rockets.

14. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

I think the trade the TS proposed would be a realistic option for us to offer the Heat for Bosh, which would be much more appealing to me. Ofcourse, only if we are able to resign Dragic.

I think the longer and further the Heat go without Bosh, the better chance they have of dealing him in the offseason. At the same time I see them getting squashed by the Spurs without him...

A starting line up of Dragic, Lee (or Martin), Parsons, Bosh and Camby is pretty solid if we could make it happen.

I have never have been a huge fan of Bosh but he is better than Gasol at this point and pairing him with Camby and Parsons on the front line gives you lots of size and length.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

So a true 7' center who could reasonably put up a 18/10/3/2 line and who offers paint protection is not some one we should be going out to get? Top 4 center in the NBA who has 2 rings he earned. And that would not be exactly what the Rockets need why? Try not to bring some p***y bull***t answer. The are getting so old.

16. Naismith

Naismith Member

The end.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

People have offered reasons...that you disagree with them is probably as of little concern to them as it is to me.

But for craps and giggles, I'll go again: I think we'd be overpaying. I think we'd be acquiring a guy whose motor has been questioned the last two postseasons. I think we'd be marginally better after this trade. I think we might make the playoffs, but we certainly wouldn't be a real contender. I think Pau has seen his best days. I think Pau is a super nice complementary player to the kind of player you have to have to win big in this league. I'd rather not commit $19 million/year for two seasons and trade away these #assets if that's the return...I'd like to know what's behind door number 2.

Also...just personally speaking here...a rotation featuring Kevin Martin and Pau Gasol would be squeezably soft.

By the way...HUGE wild card here is signing Dragic. We've backed ourselves into a huge corner with that. Lowry's comments give him tons of leverage with us.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Interesting. Thank you for a thoughtful post.

Bosh 18/8/2/1
    Scola 16/6/2/.5

Dally 8/7/.5/2
    Gasol 18/10/3/2

Net plus for Bosh on the Rockets roster: 2/2/0/.5
    Net plus for Gasol on the Rockets roster: 10/3/2.5/0

Certainly a simple first order analysis, but informative.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He still won't listen.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

And I'm sure he'll post something ridiculously condescending about the hours of research he's poured into this issue and how my feeble brain just can't contemplate it all.