1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Terrence Jones ASAP

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beardaholic13, May 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Lefty

Lefty Member

Obviously you're a harden fan boy so your over looking the turnovers by harden and telling the forum that its all tj's fault...

Thanks for wasting space with this garbage thread.

2. dram1

dram1 Member

Jones got exposed these playoffs. He has only been good at put-backs...but he is terrible on the floor for like a 10ft jumper. He shouldn't even attempt another 3 til he gets his close range jumpers to fall. He has turned out to a slightly less talented Carl Landry but unlike Carl, he will not dunk on a drive. Frustrating he is because he flashed several times before he was injured...I just hope he is able to regain that form again.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

How healthy do you have to be to make a wide open layup? I never really thought TJones was an 'explosive' player prior to injury. He isnt an above the rim guy. If he's hot, then he's hot, but he isnt sonsistent in the least bit, and not a guy you can count on every night, thus a liability as the starter. I dont think he's garbage, I just think he doesnt really have a place if Smith wants back for cheap, Dmo coming back and Capella emerging.

4. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

This thread was made two weeks ago....i havent seen anyone come here and defend jones in a positive basketball way, the only positive is that hes young...

lets see what we know
    1) Terrible basketball IQ(maybe bot 10 in the league)
    2) Horrible shooter...it wont ever get better because his for is so bad..he basically shoots with one hand
    3) Horrible post defender and hes a PF
    4) Horrible rebounder and hes a PF
    5) Horrible finisher at the rim unless hes taking his man off the dribble, which became less and less as the season went on cuz teams saw how awful his shot was

Then daywalker says he was the catalyst for the LAC comeback when he didnt do anything in the 4th quarter...he jump started and thats it , and trust me it was a miracle.

He did it vs the incredibly athletic BIG baby lol...
    He is on a rookie contract still and this is the only year we might get something positive for him just cuz hes owed about 2 mill so you have to pull the trigger, even if its for a bag of peanuts.
    Bring Jsmoove back and give him more time to gel with the team, he is a much better fit and seemed to do more in 3 months then jones has in 3 years

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What part of what I said in your mind is "hateful"?

Am I tired of watching Jones' patented pump fake, pump fake, pump fake, pump fake, pass/missed shot/blocked shot/turnover play that he's so fond of and his complete and total lack of defensive awareness? Sure, but I don't "hate" him, I'm just annoyed by his lack of development and the people who continue to overrate him and make excuses for him.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's an insult to Landry who has a legitimate face up jumper and decent post moves. He can create for himself, Jones can't

7. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

THANK YOU.. He HAS NO Game.. none

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I can't defend T. Jones anymore. I don't know if that nerve injury is still bothering him or what, but damn how soft and scare can you be. I mean dude literally allowed Green and company to punk him out there. I think he tied the record for missed layups. Last season it was Parsons and back in the day it was Chuck Hayes.

9. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

he got out reb by barnes , last game he only have 1 reb, thats just bad. 1 freaking reb.

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes was at best 6-6 with very little athleticism. He busted his ass to make it in the NBA and was a very good defender. Even guys half a foot taller and 100 lbs heavier had trouble backing him down in the post. I wish T-Jones played with the heart that guy had.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

There is no need to defend him necessarily. I think we all should know who Jones is right now. He's not a guy who is going to dominate a Western Conference Finals showdown. If you're expecting that than your expectations are probably too high.

What I've been TRYING to say these past two years (which some folks don't want to listen to) is that just because he isn't the elite of the elite doesn't mean the Rockets don't have a valuable player, in the role that he provides on the contract that he provides.

Jones' #1 asset to the team is his versatility on the contract he's on. He can be your 3rd string PF, he can even start for you if needed, you can go small with him at the 5 off the bench, and you can plug him in on nearly any lineup. Last year D-Mo under produced, and the Rockets struck out on their trade targets. Where would the Rockets have been in the regular season if Jones wouldn't have been on the roster? Same this year when D-Mo went down, and during the games where Josh Smith looked like the Detroit Josh Smith?

Jack in the Box isn't 5 star dining, and will give you heartburn, but its at the right price, and its there when you need it.

He is the "Ideal Replacement Player" if you DO NOT have an Elite PF which the Rockets have not been able to get over the past couple years but obviously have tried for (Bosh, Millsap, Love, etc). What this tells me is that Morey realizes the gap between a Brandon Bass (making 6 mil per), and a Terrence Jones(making 1.5 mil per) isn't that much different, and having a guy like Jones on the roster puts the Rockets in a better position to upgrade elsewhere (see Brewer trade, or Ariza pickup), or keep him until that elite opportunity presents himself.

So while... yes, Jones is going to look very average in a Western Conference Showdown at times, that doesn't mean that he has no use for the team. Keep in mind that give the talent that SHOULD BE ahead of him (Smith and D-Mo), what you are getting from him anyways isn't cutting into expectations... which were never meant to be high to begin with. He's not that kind of player.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yep, if we keep TJ, he should definitely be a second-unit guy at best. If we also keep D-Mo and Josh, TJ should be a 3rd-string insurance policy. He may not be terrible, but I don't want to have to depend on him for much.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION: What is his UPSIDE?

Rocket River

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

What does Jones bring that can't be brought by a dozen other available forwards out there?

His limited use on offense and streakiness on defense is outweighed by his complete inability to box someone out and play well positionally.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

You can't have TJ and Smith on the same team. I like having one "X factor" guy in the rotation but you can't have two much less two who play the same position. Over the course of the season, their random games where they combine for 30 and 15 don't make up for all the nights where they shoot a combined 5 for 23 along with eight turnovers while providing little or no defense.

Smith is capable of playing quality defense when he is motivated where Jones just can't. My money is on Smith sticking around.

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Carl Landry.

17. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

I agree with most of your posts but your way off here, he doesent look average he looks TERRIBLE , and his use for the team is non existent, i would rather have had tarik black any day of the week, and iam dead serious.
    He HURTS us on both ends of the floor , thats what it comes down to....verstaility is nonexistent, his salary is the only good thing about him but that isnt saying much, because i can count 10 vet minimum players i would rather have instead of him . Trade him before the rest of the nba figures out hes nothing but a bench warmer.

18. malakas

malakas Member

They are very happy with him , this trade idea prequisites that Karl gets what he wants => Lawson. Without the Kings getting Lawson they wouldnt trade Collison. And Landry ....his only purpose right now is a bad contract to give back to other teams to clear cap space.

19. basketballholic

dobro is simply trying to justify his long-held position that Terrence is a solid plus rotation player for us. He can't give it up.

20. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

With all his faults, I think, besides Dmo, Jones was the only Rox big that could or had very good stretches consistently scoring layups and other off the glass shots in traffic... I mean if you go back and look at the replay he laid it off the glass better than Smith and Howard this post season.... Just something I'll miss and might cry over come next season and post season if he is traded..