1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Terrence Jones ASAP

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beardaholic13, May 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. dmoneybangbang

It's a bit hyperbolic to say he hasn't developed any side of the mental game as he obviously has a better idea of what to do and where to be since his rookie season.

He looked pretty good before he had nerve damage this season. He's got some interesting skill sets who had quite a setback with injuries.

2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Bobby is not trying to hear those types of fact dmoney. His mind is set just like basketballholic. They're not fans of Terrance Jones.

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I haven't seen anybody on here overrate Jones like you overrates DMO. Funny how you keep throwing that out there when you do the same thing to your favorite player. People sees T. Jones potential and also knows what he's done for this team when he started. That is keeping it real not an overreaction. You act like as a starter in practically his rookie year, when he averaged 14/8 was terrible thing. Dude missed 40+ games due to a nerve injury. Instead of factoring that into his development. It takes time to get back to form, you do now that right.

4. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

I like Jones, thought he progressed a ton last year and the few games before his injury this year, but as a team, do we want to take another season developing him, or get another impact player now.

We have Smith and DMo and i think DMo's post game, position d, and 3pt shot fits our team a little more than Jones does. If Smith resigns i wouldnt be against packaging Jones. If we can keep him and want to develop him a little more I'm not against it, but there are other needs for the team.

I do think if we keep Jones he will be better for us next year, he walked back into a system that has changed since he left, rotations are different, new players and hes playing like he doesn't trust himself right now, time should help in each of those scenarios.

Its hard to say what we need when we havent had our full team for any stretch this year, and we are in the WCF playing a very beatable GSW team, a little health and we look really good over the next few years.

5. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

I don't think there is any doubt that if we could get a commitment from Smith, it would be in our best interests to package Jones to upgrade somewhere else. Ideally (IMO) a trade to land Ty Lawson or another similar upgrade at PG. TJ, #18, Papa, and Prig for Lawson would be a great deal for us.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree. Jones usually get 70% negative and only about 30% positive reviews on this board. Overrated really have to literally laugh out aloud.

And I am being generous here.

He is nowhere near his prime. Maybe he is not an allstar, probably not, but he will be decent..

He should continue work on fundamentals, Shooting and defensive rotations.

He is a pretty good rebounder, decent ball handler.

7. basketballholic

Unless things have changed significantly over the last 3-6 months, Jones has about a 70% approval rate around here. There's been enough threads with polls to prove that. Look 'em up.

If you mean by prime age, I suppose you have a point, be it a tiny one. But his physical prime may have already passed with his nerve injury. I have serious concerns that his nerve damage is lingering. Just don't see a long, smooth gait from him right now. He looks like a penguin running up and down the floor. Not smooth or elongated. So...physical prime is hard to guess...especially with injuries.

Continue????

He has the same jump shot that he had when he was drafted and when he was a freshman at Kentucky. If he has been "working" on that jump shot for the last 5 years....his work has been an abysmal failure. In fact, I'm convinced his mechanics are now even worse than when he was at Kentucky, contorted even more because he's been trying to shoot the 3.

There's simply no way that Terrence has spent 5 summers working on his jump shot in a professional manner. If he had been, at some point he would have started over with his mechanics. That's how bad they are. And any decent coach would tell him so.

NO HE AIN'T. His rebounding rate has fallen to 11.2% in this year's playoffs. That's terrible. And his rebounding rate for his career in the regular season has just hovered between 13% and 14%. That's a very pedestrian, mediocre percentage. And no improvement there in 3 seasons either.

Here's the list of bigs (4's and 5's) that have played 100 minutes or more in the playoffs that have rebounded at a better rate than Terrence:

Dwight Howard
    DeAndre Jordan
    Jonas Valanciunas
    Clint Capela
    Joakim Noah
    Andrew Bogut
    Tyson Chandler
    Kosta Koufos
    Drew Gooden
    Blake Griffin
    Meyers Leonard
    Tim Duncan
    John Henson
    Timofey Mozgov
    Zaza Pachulia
    Pau Gasol
    Tristan Thompson
    Marcin Gortat
    Draymond Green
    Al Horford
    Marc Gasol
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Kevin Love
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    Anthony Davis
    Amir Johnson
    Nene Hilario
    Lebron James
    Zach Randolph
    Josh Smith
    Tiago Splitter
    Paul Millsap
    Taj Gibson
    Brook Lopez
    Thaddeus Young
    Boris Diaw

And here's your list of bigs (4's and 5's) that have played 100 minutes or more in this year's playoffs that have a rebounding rate worse than Terrence:

Pero Antic
    Nikola Mirotic
    Glen Davis
    Ersan Ilyasova
    Patrick Patterson

80% of these guys that rebound worse than Terrence shoot the 3-ball at a very efficient rate. Otherwise they're not getting 100 minutes or more in the NBA playoffs. Remember this.

Kewl. Now what we gonna do wid dat? He's not a playmaker. So he can dribble the ball up the court good for a power forward. And....then what???? Make a play? Nope. Shoot the J? Nope. Hand it off to Harden?? Yep. Wonder how many players we can get to do that? Sorry, I love his handle. But it don't help us win.

#227 basketballholic, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

daywalker it's a shame your boy Holic doesn't have anything positive to say about Jones's game. No matter what anyone says, he will go against it. Look at all that nonsense he wrote below. LOL

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

We'd be foolish to trade terrence jones.

10. hakeemthagreat

Says who:confused:

11. bberge

bberge Member

we don't need a three-man rotation of smith, d-mo, and jones at pf. too much of a luxury considering the holes at the 1 (even if PBev comes back) and at the backup 2/3 (if brewer or mcdaniels leave).

if smith remains, either d-mo or jones should go. IMO, D-mo's shooting and defense are more valuable than Jones' ballhandling and weakside shotblocking (rebounding is a wash).

18th pick and tjones for ty lawson just makes too much sense. if that's not enough, you can up the offer with nick johnson if it appears pbev is content to come back as a backup.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Jones should have a medium range jump shot. He doesn't and that hurts. But I can live with that flaw if need be.

What I can't live with, is the timid play around the rim. Jones is athletic. We have seen the blocks and dunks. Why does he seems to play so BELOW THE RIM at times in the post. I see too many layups and not enough dunks.

I want to see more CARL LANDRY! in his game back in Landry's early years. Dunking everything.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Bump.

Defense / boxing out? Anyone?

I like the guy but.. if you can't box out 1% of the time, you don't belong in the league.

14. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

but he's vastly superior to DMO. so there's that. :rolleyes:

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How many playoffs series has Dmo been to..... he has been injured a lot in postseason.

It is not fair to judge both of them. Dmo is not going to automatically play like God in the playoffs.

He had major problems against the Clippers for instance. As I recall.

16. napalm06

I think he's being sarcastic.

Jones does all of the intangibles badly in the same way Shane Battier used to do them well.

He's terrible with positioning. No IQ.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah I guess it was not a good series for a lot of players.... cannot just stick a fork into Jones

I am not mad, frustrated or something just did not see a possible blowout coming at home....that is all.

18. roidrage

roidrage Member

He has the lowest basketball in the nba

19. roidrage

roidrage Member

20. napalm06

I'm not mad. The Warriors are that good.

But this has been a long-time coming. It's just a shame that Terrence can't seem to improve on intelligent plays.

It was something we were able to mask during the Dallas series and overcome in the Clippers series, but it bit us in last year's Portland series as well.

Every time Dwight has to help, the PF is open for free points. We should be locking down their front-court and letting Curry win it.

And to be fair it's Smith as well. Jones is just the biggest repeat offender.