1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Target Watch

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Dec 19, 2010.

1. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Great thread and agree with the targets for the most part. I'll see if i can contribute some addl targets later

i've seen this referenced by several posters again recently and iirc, this was discredited.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Greg Oden?

j/k

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2a68wpk

Trade:
    Kevin Martin
    Shane Battier
    Jordan Hill
    Chase Budinger

For:
    Javale McGee
    Rashard Lewis

Lewis is a good scorer, a good post-up player, Houston ties, WAY overpaid. But McGee is primary target here.

Dumb idea? Just throwing it out there.

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yes, dumb idea. McGee according to some NBA fans doesn't have it between the head. There is even a thread about McGee at this moment titled "Javale McGee: Million dollar talent, ten cent brain?" on RealGM.

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

not a dumb idea, however i don't believe you can move an already traded player within a package deal in the same year. i think it must be a one for one.

moreover, i love the rashard lewis deal for the bullets. they are getting dangerously close to having a well balanced roster.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

Example of McGee's idiocy:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mSJWrQst0yQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mSJWrQst0yQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

He is also the reason Yao got injured...

6. trugoy

trugoy Member

Javale mcghee wishes he had marcus camby's bb iq

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

LOL .. that's not the first time I've seen him attempt to dunk from the free throw line and it turned into a spectacular FAIL.

I'd call it youthful exuberance.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

As much as I hate Sideshow Varejao, I think the guy would fit here and also improve our defense tremendously.

I think he might be a guy that Morey tries to snag at the deadline.

9. BradMiller

BradMiller Member

Ahh pretty nice list. I think we have a good shot at getting all of those guys

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

+1 for Josh Smith. 2-way player, shot blocker. Decent contract

11. fzr11017

fzr11017 Member

Serge Ibaka.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

DD, I thought that since you have been harping about the Rockets' "failure" to extend the contracts of Luis Scola and Kyle Lowry prior to them becoming free agents this past summer, you at least deserved to be informed regarding the parameters for such extensions:

KYLE LOWRY: Because Lowry was previously on a rookie scale contract, the deadline for an extension was October 31, 2009. The Rockets COULD NOT extend Lowry during last season and especially not after the season prior to July 1, 2010. There was still so much uncertainty about the Rockets' PG situation back before last season, so it was understandable that the sides did not see eye-to-eye on contract details. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and agree that the Rockets COULD have possibly gotten Lowry to agree to, say, a 3-year, $12-14M contract back then and save a few million bucks.

LUIS SCOLA: Let me say this clearly: Luis Scola was INELIGIBLE for a contract extension last season. Only contracts of four years or longer are eligible for extensions. Scola was on a three-year deal. Second, to get to the point of your reply to GATER's post above, even if Scola was eligible for an extension and actually did sign an extension, he STILL would have been a Base Year Compensation player, since his salary would have surely increased by more than 20% above his meager 2009-10 salary.

For more information about why your strategy was not quite as feasible as you seem to think it was:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q52

2 people like this.
  13. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Right, because Morey actually operates under a secret CBA that allows you to extend a 3-year, non-rookie contract, and avoid both the poison-pill provision, which makes a player even harder to trade, as well as BYC.

I'm sure Morey's secret CBA also allows him to give Scola a raise greater than 10.5% of his last years' salary in his new extension, and that Scola would have been perfectly happy playing for extremely below market wages.

You can blame Morey for some things, but you're flat out spreading misinformation when you criticize him for not pre-emptively extending Scola.

14. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Are you a bot on auto-reply?

How the hell are you always able to get your post in right as I'm writing mine, explaining the same thing? I go and read a thread, get annoyed by people saying blatantly wrong things, and your response is already there.

It's like being a grammar Nazi and never getting to correct incorrect usage of there/their/they're...

J/K Bima, keep doing your thing; I'll learn to read/type faster... ;)

15. worzel gummidge

I don't know about then wining and dining but Gersson Rosas on Nuno's show said something about developing a good rapport with Thabeet during pre-draft. He wasn't specifically saying the Rockets were after Thabeet but talking in general of how pre-draft workouts and interviews can help the Rockets down the line, e.g free agency.

16. carolbmt

carolbmt Contributing Member

Hasheem Thabeet looks like a lost puppy on the court. Stating the obvious, he has great instincts for shot blocking, but he's got less offensive skills than Chuck Hayes, with absolutely ZERO offensive BBIQ.

17. delishman

delishman Member

When I grow up..

I wanna be BimaThug.

18. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Amir Johnson, a bit foul prone but that is because he tries to block everything, been in the league for ages but is still young (born in in '87 IIRC).

Long, athletic, solid mid range, good defender, great energy and steadily improving every year, when given an opportunity (starts) he does extremely well and is consistently a 15/10/2 player in those starts.

19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

DD dishes out opinions. BimaThug dishes out facts.

20. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

I'm all for it. I don't know anything about his game, but his name is my second favorite of all time -- just behind Pedro Feliz.