1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Trade Rumor with Utah

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MLC1MGC2ALC3, Sep 30, 2003.

1. MLC1MGC2ALC3

MLC1MGC2ALC3 Member

A sport radio station (1280) in Utah is reporting Amaechi is on the move to Houston. No info on the houston players involved in the Rumor.If this is the case how about this TRADE:

Houston trades: PG Moochie Norris (4.3 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.4 apg in 16.8 minutes)
    PF Eddie Griffin (8.6 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 24.5 minutes)
    SF Bostjan Nachbar (2.1 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 0.2 apg in 5.5 minutes)
    Houston receives: SF Matt Harpring (17.6 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 1.7 apg in 32.8 minutes)
    C John Amaechi (2.0 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 0.4 apg in 9.5 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +4.6 ppg, -0.6 rpg, and -1.6 apg.

Utah trades: SF Matt Harpring (17.6 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 1.7 apg in 32.8 minutes)
    C John Amaechi (2.0 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 0.4 apg in 9.5 minutes)
    Utah receives: PG Moochie Norris (4.3 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.4 apg in 82 games)
    PF Eddie Griffin (8.6 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 77 games)
    SF Bostjan Nachbar (2.1 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 0.2 apg in 14 games)
    Change in team outlook: -4.6 ppg, +0.6 rpg, and +1.6 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Move Cato to the PF to back up MoT.

Starting Line-Up:

Ming
    Mo
    Harpring
    Cat
    Steve

2. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Now how do u get from Amaechi to Matt Harpring? So Utah is just gonna package their best player averaging 18 a game with a player who is averaging 2 ppg???:eek:

3. rothdaniel

rothdaniel Member

What does Amechi get us unless we are also about to trade Cato?

I'd rather have Cato unless he's being packaged in a deal to get us a big time 3 or 4

4. New Jack

New Jack Member

Trade will probably be a minor one. Probably Amechi for Rice. Rockets shed some salary to ensure that they won't pay luxury taxes and Utah gets an expiring contract so they can meet minimum salary required.

5. aldenix

aldenix Member

Good as a rumor! :D

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Man I hope not. Amechi is terrible. I'd rather keep anyone we have on the team than take him. Now if they want to talk Amechi + 1st round picks...

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Moochie isn't much of an upgrade over Arroyo and Lopez, and Griffin is almost a xerox of Clark. Utah wouldn't accept anything less than Cuttino for Harpring...

8. nanker phelge

nanker phelge Member

Latest news out of Utah is Amechi for Rice and pick.

We will see what happens. The station is fairly reliable about information.

9. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

If that happens I will be pissed. I was hoping to get something of value for Rice. I can't believe that we'd have to package a pick with Rice to get some useless malcontent who is underneath Greg freakin' Ostertag on the depth chart.

10. verse

verse Contributing Member

reliable or not, that's a fairly f*cked up trade. no way is amaechi worth a pick + an expiring contract. no way.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding. This has to be some radio sports-talk host's fantasy, assuming it's really from the radio.

12. verse

plus, amaechi signed a 4 year, $10 million contract. rice makes approx. 9 million next year. those figures aren't even in the same ballpark of each other. utah would have to throw in someone else ... like harpring, whose deal was 4 year, $18.5 million. then again, that would be larceny for the rockets...unless we threw in a first rounder.

meech & harpring

for

rice & a 1st rounder

that might be pallatable for both teams.

utah gets out of harpring's long term deal (through '07), completely rebuilds starting next summer when rice's contract comes off the books, and would have (at least) 2 first rounders next year.

houston gets their small forward.

nah, we'd still be sodomizing utah.... but if they're that stupid, go for it.

13. MONON

MONON Member

If Utah were trading Amechi & Harpring, I don't think a Utah radio station would be all over Amechi's involvement in the trade. I also don't like Amechi for Rice because we need Rice's expiring contract value this coming summer(I can't believe we just finished a long summer of relative inactivity & I'm already talking about what we need next summer:eek: ) more than we need Amechi now.

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

you forget Utah is way under the cap verse. They can absorb Rice's contract easy.

The only way this trade makes sense at all is if the rocks are shopping Cato or if other players are involved.

15. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The Rockets can't trade next year's first rounder...Stepian Rule...

16. New Jack

New Jack Member

Utah is under the salary cap so they could take Rice's 9 million back and trade away Amechi's 2.5 million. I'm not sure, but if a team trades away more salary than it receives doesn't that team get a trade exception of the difference?

17. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

The rox can trade their 1st rounder now. They couldn't have before this past draft.

Not that they would in this deal anyway.

18. verse

true.

19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Great.....another one of the "trades".

I would only wait until ESPN, the AP, CNN, Houston Chronicle, and Clutch to see if a trade went down before I fall for these "trades".

20. New Jack

New Jack Member

Is NBA.com a good enough source?