1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TRADE] Rockets Acquire Carl Landry (#31) PF Purdue

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jun 28, 2007.

1. pacertom

pacertom Member

Indiana native here who has seen Landry play a lot...

He's a good player for a high 2nd round pick.

His draft position was greatly affected by his ACL injury. After coming back last year he looked a lot less explosive, though that seemed to get a little better late in the year.

From the athleticism tests in Orlando, it would seem he is back near 100% after 2 years.

If you believe the tests, then the pick was great. If he really lost something athletically that he can never regain, then the pick is still not bad for a 2nd rounder since he has the IQ and offensive came to stick on an NBA roster for awhile, which is all you can expect from that draft slot.

If there are no health questions, I think he’s an eventual upgrade to Chuck Hayes due to his offense on the low blocks.

What to compare?

Hmmm… he’s built like Milsap but not NEAR the rebounder, but Carl has more of an offensive game. He might compare to Ike Diogu, actually, but Diogu has better lower body, legs and footwork.

2. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

2 reasons:

1. Morey felt that Landry was better those guys all along, at which point you don't draft the other PFs just because they are there.

2. I've heard a number rumours that Phoenix was looking to take Brooks at #29, and no they have not only been off this board. So if Brooks was the best guard prospect they saw in the late 20's they took him when they could.

3. xlr817

xlr817 Member

I like this pick! I will trust Adelman more than the Morey Eel. I think Brooks is like a Bibby & Landry kinda like Corlis Williams aka "Big Nasty", & Brad the Aussie like Peja....in a way. ;)

4. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Ya Go Big Ten. Well Matt Painter the coach at Purdue joked that his team consisted of one Power forward and 4 guards. How ya gonna take over a game with a lineup like that? It's amazing that Purdue got as far as they did in the NCAA.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they really outworked arizona inside...landry was a big part of that, the F'er :mad:

;)

6. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

I think Rockets fans will be pleasantly suprised. Landry like most Purdue bballers come with a defensive mindset and have learned how to play defense the right way. It's the Gene Keady/Matt Painter school of defensive basketball. Keep the ball game in the low 50-60's and you'll win the game. Man how JVG woulda loved this guy LOL.

7. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

this came from his draft express profile. http://draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=461

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

A brain dead draft. The Rockets usually screw up the draft, but they outdid themselves this time around. All this justification is baloney. They got hosed.

9. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

getting landry for just cash was not a bad move. the others...you may have a point

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Carl Landry is on 610 AM right now

Says he'll bring the Paul Millsap/Jason Maxiell type contributions

11. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

and elton brand :eek:

12. two-sandwiches

Good for him.....CHOKE CITY IS BACK!

13. Barkley

Barkley Member

SO welcome:)

14. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

I don't know man. Other than a trade up/trade for someone(anyone) what were we really going to get with the 26 pick? It's a crapshoot at that point. I can't say I'm happy but I will trust our GM at this point as he knows more than us hopefully. His first two moves were good. Just let it play out. He already said there would be more movement.

Run on sentences and absolute refusal to use commas in message boards is my specialty (when I'm drunk)

15. Rocket_Man

Rocket_Man Member

16. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Lets not forget that he got his points despite the fact that opposing defenses in the Big Ten geared up to stop him. He was in fact Purdue's only inside scoring option. That includes opposing centers and power forwards sagging in on him.

17. thecity5

thecity5 Member

If we dont get another power forward, i hope he can have a good impact.

18. cz4ever

cz4ever Member

I believe that the trade for the 31st pick (Landry) included both cash and a future second rounder. That's still a good trade, since presumably our future 2nd won't be near the front of the round (!!!), but not as good as cash-only.

19. rocketsfaninsa

I guarantee you they didn't laugh as hard as I am right now in regards to your stupidity. Landry was on a lot of teams list for a PF, and he will have a better year than Fazekas, Davis, and McRoberts. The guy is tough, has a 37" vertical, and averaged 18.9 ppg in a tough college conference. Do your homework on a player before you run your mouth off about him.

20. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

Landry is a good pickup.

Brooks was a stretch tho, but i can't say anything till we actually see the guy play.