1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Question

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lytruc, Jan 2, 2006.

1. lytruc

lytruc Contributing Member

Can we still trade Clarence Weatherspoon, Vin Baker, and Charlie Ward's contracts? I assume we're still paying them, so can we include their contracts in some kind of trade package?

If so, couldn't we trade David Wesley and Clarence Weatherspoon for Quentin Richardson and Jerome James? We get a nice SG and serviceable backup center for when Mutumbo retires.

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

i thought all 3 of them retired and ward became an assistant coach..

3. rocktsballastro

Why would we want to take on one of the worst contracts in the history of professional sports? Jerome James had a few good games in the playoffs and Isiah gave him a 30 million dollar contract. Let's stick with our bad players that don't make superstar salaries.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I wouldn't want either player.

Q-Rich is talented but refuses to do anything but shoot from the perimeter. That does nothing to solve the problem we already have of too many catch-and-shoot players. The only positives are he is only 25 year and is athletic despite not performing like the player he should be ability-wise.

As far as Jerome James all you can do is stay far, far away. For all those that complained about Mo Taylor showing up fat and out shape would be in for a surprise seeing this guy. On top of that, he can thank Isiah the Idiot for giving him the MLE this offseason so not only is he a fat slob but he'll be getting paid $5-6 M per season until his contract finally comes off the books at the end of the decade.

5. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

No we cannot trade those players. Which is the reason why I wasn't really on board with buying out/waiving all of our bad contracts. Right about now those expiring deals would open up a lot more options on the trade front.

6. lytruc

lytruc Contributing Member

delete.

thanks m_cable

#6 lytruc, Jan 2, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  7. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I don't know, aren't we still paying Matt Maloney?? Can we trade his payments???

8. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

I think we finished paying maloney after last season.

9. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

i believe all were buyouts except for Weatherspoon. Can't trade him, its not like the Blazers can trade Anderson's contract to someone while he is playing for us.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Buying out/waiving bad contracts at least opened up roster spots.. if Dion Glover was healthy (who we would have had), I'd rather have him than a washed up Weatherspoon...same with rather having Baxter over a "retired" Ward taking up space just so we can use him as trade bait MAYbe..

11. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

None of the guys that filled those roster spots are difference makers. Adding more expiring contracts to grease the wheels of a big trade would have made a much bigger impact. And we threw that away in order to save some cash in luxury tax.

12. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The market was flooded for expiring contracts, anyway. We will be lucky to get a pick for them. There's not enough buyers, and too many sellers. Rox can't compete with monster expirings like Penny Hardeway.

I'm very hard on the current administration, but I can't fault them for that.