1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Predictions.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Feb 6, 2000.

1. haven

haven Member

1. Umm... loyalty is nice, but if the Rockets got a sweetheart deal like Mobley and Williams for McGrady... screw friendship, let's take the championship.

2. If we trade Drew, we probably won't trade Mobley, who can play the back-up point.

3. 'Los is a tweener... he's not idealy suited to either the 3 or the 4. Slightly too slow for one, not large enough for the other.

2. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

I agree with a lot of the sentiment here. We just don't have the room to keep Mobes and Drew, three outstanding young guards is enough. So one must be traded in my opinion or we will probably lose one anyway for nothing via free agency. I would rather trade Drew because he is less versatile, but Mobley isn't untouchable. If OT could be traded--a guy who everybody liked and who was the 2nd most important player on the previous years championship team--than Mobes certainly can be traded. But in my view I would offer Drew instead, unless it was the deal breaker for a guy like McGrady, Jamison (who I don't think GS is open to trade), Grant, Van Horn and maybe Ratlif, Camby, Wally and Smith. For the last group though, I certainly wouldn't offer much more though, I think it would be pretty close to even as is. For the former 4 guys, I would consider picks as well.

[This message has been edited by sir scarvajal (edited February 07, 2000).]

3. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

I agree with Haven about Carlos Rogers. He would be a decent backup at either of the forward positions, but is not what one would call a big time player. I think that Drew has obviously played well with the time he has gotten because of Stevie's injury. He has to have increased his trade value. I dont think that any combo of the players we are willing to give up could get a McGrady though (I am not willing to part with Mobes). I would love to see the Rox get Maggette though. The Magic are going to be in a bidding war over free agents this year and if they could get just a little bit more money under the cap I am sure they would try. Giving them Drew and Walt (who is to be afree agent) might pry Maggette loose. They want McGrady who plays similar to Maggette anyway. Then we trade our pix to move up and nab Martin or draft someone like Swift (LSU), Boumtje Boumtje (Georgetown) or maybe Pryzybilla (Minnesota). All of them are athletic shot blocking big men, but it is asof yet unknown whether or not they will declare for the draft.

4. Steve Phrancis

haven,
    'Los isn't a bad player either. I think he has the quickness to play a 3 in certain situations. He is great at running the floor.

If you don't think Carlos is big 'nuff for a 4, then I guess you don't think the Fresh Prince who is now in L.A. is a valid 4 that we won our 1st championship with was either.
    Horray has 15 lbs. on Carlos and is 1 inch shorter than Carlos.. I really like what Carlos can do for our team.

With Francis manning the point, Mobes(please don't shoot when they are open in the corner and or/don't try to get fancy on that pass) at the 2, Anderson at the 3, Carlos at the 4 and Cato at the 5. They should be able to exploit the fast break. The problem occurs when we try to slow the offense down, wether a lost post DUMP or ISO. That is where we may not get a good look at the basket.

5. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

These are all my opinions.

Why are u guys so eager to trade mobley?
    Mobley could very well be a better player than Mcgrady one day. At this point it seems like mcgrady might have more potential but theres that word. john thompson said "potential gets coaches fired" and hes right alot of players with "potential" go nowhere

mobley has a gift an ability to get to the basket. He is also an excellent free throw shooter and a guy to count on in close games. Geez he hasnt even been here 2 years and everyone wants to trade him. And no toronto will not make a deal with us for just him and walt and drew. friends with steve or not he is still a valuable asset IMHO.

Walt williams i think is improving immensely and is another player everyone is so eager to trade. I wouldnt mind as much trading him for a quality PROVEN player such as ratliff, but philly would be very silly to let him go which i dont think they will.

bryce drew is a good backup PG and for situations like this week i would keep. not to mention he is a good shooter unlike alot of backup PGs.

Carlos is a good guy to come off the bench with energy but not start. We could use a big strong PF to help cato. aka martin aka brian grant or aka najera from OU if we can get him with detroits pick

For SF shanndon can play it if we want a fast small lineup otherwise id look to the draft for a SF

------------------
    --TEX

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

DoD and anyone else...Time to put your money where your mouth is...

Mobley will not be traded

I have the remainder of my season tickets here to wager.

DoD you say the we are sadly mistaken to think Mobley will not be traded for the right deal...allow me to counter that and say...there is no right deal for Mobley.

Quit with this "right deal". That has a nice built-in out for you in case nothing happens. That's bull,,,tell me now if you think any deal will happen. You have 17 days. If you don't have a deal. I'll go so far to give you ANY DEAL out there.

Forget that I say McGrady will never be a Mobley...that's biased on my part, and Forget that I say McGrady is currently only an ESPN child who dunks yet has shown me no reason to double team him like Cat.

Set all reality and hype aside...time for some speculation....Allow me just to say...there is no deal out there that will move Mobley THIS YEAR.

Bet me, boy....come on....who else wants some.

And if that's not enough incentive...let me smack you and say: you are just a conformist who won't give a 2nd-rounder fair value until everyone concurs.

Oh...did I hear someone say heypartner is getting personal or overreacting...stay off the court then, you might get hurt. Time for some trade Smack!!!

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited February 07, 2000).]

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

There appears to be only one solution

CUT CAT NOW

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

no, cant cut cat now. i think he has a big upside. trade him if we can get a mcgrady, but i wouldnt trade him straight up for magette. mobley has alot of skills, and is an above average athlete.

Rogers, i wish he had a solid jumper and a bettter handle. As is, i think he could guard almost any 3 on the court. He is certainly quick enuff to play the 3, but he isnt a highly skilled player, just a great athlete.

rogers couldnt start at the 4. horry has 15 lbs on him, that is a lot of weight, imo. Also, I never considered horry a true 4. horry had a decent 3 point shot, but the guy is pretty soft.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

maybe rice will get traded for p ip lol if anyone actually wants that brat

10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

any chance of getting h orry back??/

11. Steve Phrancis

G8t-1,
    I would agree that Carlos is light for a 4, but his size helps. He doesn't have a jumper but he can shoot the trey like Horray could. The only problem with 'los is that he may have the Robert Pack syndrome. I love to see this guy play though..

12. Murph

Murph Member

thacaggage

Just wanted to say that I am a new poster to the BBS, but I have been reading posts off the BBS for quite sometime and really enjoy all of your insights and opinions. It's true rockets fans like yourself and Popeye that make this BBS the best.

Just a little brown nosing to get started.

Go Rockets!!!!!!!!!

13. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Murph:

Thankyou for the kind words. [​IMG]

HeyPartner:

I won't bet you that Mobley will be traded, because so few trades actually ever go down, but I can guaran-damn-tee you that they are listening to offers. These are the same guys who shook up a championship nucleus a few years ago!! This same braintrust was considering trading The Dream just a few months back!! Don't tell me there is no right deal for a borderline star like Mobley. Don't get me wrong, Mobley is a very nice player, and many GM's are salivating over him, but he is not in the range of some of the players being discussed at this moment. Don't tell me Cuttino Mobley has a greater talent ceiling than Tracy McGrady/Derek Anderson or the like. Add that to the fact that we are already firmly set at the off-guard with Shandon Anderson, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Mobley were traded by the 24th.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Cabbage --

"I won't bet you that Mobley will be traded, because so few trades actually ever go down..."

Exactly what I was trying to say when I predicted that nothing would happen by the deadline. The Rockets do make their fair share of blockbuster trades, it's just that usually around 99% of the trade rumors passed around never happen.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

cabbage

Your topic is "Predictions"...you know i've given my reasons before. Now it's time to have fun with prediction.

Mobley's staying through the season.

That's my prediction. Now, I want to find someone to bet me. DoD...you're going quiet. I'm going to have to raz you on the chat line.

I haven't seen one prediction yet, other than Freak. Come on...is it only going to be us. Who's staying? Who's gone? You don't have to name the other half of the trade...just who do you think CD and Rudy will trade, if any?

Right Cabbage.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited February 08, 2000).]

16. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

we need to resign mobley, him and francis click to much. shandon will stay, because joe blank asked him if he would stay after his contract was and shandon said" yep, i'm here to stay". and cato will stay of course and we need to extend kenny and francis for about 13 years.

so i say trade everyone except one of these guys, carlos rogers,walt williams,bryce drew, matt bullard and tony massenburg.

ican see this deal :

rockets get:
    tracy mcgrady (sign (3years) and trade)
    fill ins (then cut their arses)
    raptors get:
    bryce drew (good point guard they need)
    walt williams (evryone needs a shooter)
    carlos rogers (great guy to pick up for the playoffs)

then the HOUSTON rockets team will look like this for years to come:

pf:kenny thomas/thomas hamiltonj/k [​IMG]
    sf:tracy mcgrady/rashard lewis
    c :kelvin cato/draft pick
    sg:shandon anderson/cuttino mobley
    pg:steve francis/cuttino mobley

17. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

heypartner:

Bryce Drew [-Now with the signing of Moochie Norris I feel strong about this prediction / 85% sure]

Cuttino Mobley [35%]

Walt Williams [If a deal including either Drew or Mobley goes down, he'll be included, IMO. / 95%]

18. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

I am positive Drew won't be traded now...his value is still low compared to what it will be at the end of the season. He's maturing quick and we can maximze his value when draft day rolls around. I don't think Drew will be traded by the deadline, but I can forsee him being traded to move up in draft. Moochie is the type of backup PG we need, not Drew. Walt probably would be included for salary cap reasons.

My take on the PG situation right now:

1. They have a great offer for Drew right on the table, and are not sure whether to trade now or wait till end of season.

2. Francis is injured. Well not 100%.

3. They sign Moochie to a 10-day contract to be there in case of need. Also if Drew is traded he's the new backup PG.

Basically, if the Drew falls through, Moochie's contracts up, Francis is back, and everything goes back to how it was. However, if the trade go throughs, Drew is gone, Francis should be back, and Moochie is signed through rest of season.

19. Steve Phrancis

Hey Cabbage, I feel 100% about this:

Both Hakeem and Cato for Bryant Reeves. [​IMG]
    Steve Francis for Randy Brown. [​IMG]
    Mobley for Vinny Del Negro. [​IMG]
    Shandon Anderson for Kiwane Garris. [​IMG]
    We'll trade next year's 1st and 2nd round pick for Jim McIlvaine. [​IMG]

Sorry I couldn't resist.. I expect us to stay pat.

We can't get Brian Grant since it will accelerate his salary.

20. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I, for one, love Robert Horry. His talents are being absolutely wasted in LA. I just hate to see that!