1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Partners?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dingus, Jan 11, 2012.

1. dingus

dingus Member

This is a hypothetical; so please, do not get into an argument over whether or not we SHOULD tank. All this thread postures to ask is IF we decide to "tank" (willingly trade given talent for potential), who are the teams we should be looking at?

The problem I am running into is who could we potentially trade our two veterans, Scola and Martin (could someone please chime in on the earliest date we can trade Dalembert during the offseason, is it before the draft?) for a decent return. I am not seeing a lot of compatible trade partners.

Traditionally, there are two types of teams that are willing to trade their 1st round picks: Playoff hopefuls, and borderline contenders.

I feel with all the hype around this year's draft class, you are going to be hard-pressed to find a hopeful playoff team willing to take the plunge at the cost of this year's pick. Teams around the league are valuing their 1st round selections more than ever (a la NFL). They'd rather miss the playoffs this year and come back next year doubly strong.

The second group, the borderline contenders, are the only teams that will be targeting Martin and/or Scola. The return they offer in this year's draft (a late 1st round pick) is a pretty poor value.

What I'm saying is this: We are not going to be trading for a lottery pick in this year's "deep" draft. Anyone with those grandiose ideas can probably kiss them good bye right now.

In the aftermath, the Rockets are left with three options: Stockpile mid to late 1st round picks this year (multiple trades involving everyone but Lowry and the CBA untradeables), trading for future 1st round draft picks, or trading for young (undervalued) talent already in the league on a hopeful playoff team or borderline contender.

IF the season takes a turn for the worse, and management decides now is the time to rebuild, who should we be targeting? Who are the borderline contenders with needs at SG or PF that could help the Rockets build a cache of picks? Which team is dumb enough to mortgage its future (a future 1st round pick) for one last hurrah? Which borderline contender or playoff hopeful has serious talent that has gone undiscovered or underplayed?
    Why do I not see any viable trade options in the league? Tell me I'm wrong!

2. King901

King901 Member

That trading for young undervalued talent is why we are in this situation now. No one is going to want anyone on our team until they play hard enough to catch other teams eyes. Lowry is the only one doing that, and Idoubt he is getting traded. Martin has to do some spectacular stuff or we wont get equal value when we trade him. If they dont play hard and we trade them, we wont get anything special in return.

3. dingus

dingus Member

I do not have any illusions about what Kevin Martin and Luis Scola's trade value is (i.e. I'm not looking for something spectacular) but I do think they are worth more than an end of 1st round pick. Middle of the first 15-18 would be respectable value for each (in my opinion).

And yes, using the term undervalued should be cautioned against in this here neck of the woods. Morey has kind of ridden that into the ground. I guess I should've just stated "available" as it is everyone's hope in every trade that the other team has "undervalued" their players and your team has pulled a fast one on them.

4. dingus

dingus Member

also, for clarification... I am not saying that Luis Scola and Kevin Martin are ONLY worth a mid 1st round pick, I am saying that any trade involving them should INCLUDE one (not the least reason being the cap consideration)

5. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

Well George Hill brought the 15th pick, I think Martin could bring that in a stronger draft. I could see Cleveland taking Martin as they are the 9th seed right now and need pieces to pair up with Irving.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'll gladly trade u my playboy centerfold partner on tuesday for a hamburger today

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Can we trade Flynn and Thabeet to Rio Grand for Smith and Morris?

DD

8. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

No, but Dodge City may take them for a couple tombstones.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Is it too late for them to go to the D-league?