1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Options for the 1st Pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Spacemoth, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Oops; you're right. Well, technically, you're wrong - Seattle won the Super Bowl "last season" - but, yeah; my bad.

2. Remii

Remii Member

Information from Mr JR..

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Sign me up.

#1 for Bills #9, #41, 4th rd pick and 2015 2nd rd pick is fairly close on the trade value chart. With the #1 being devalued this year IMO because of no clear selection IMO.

4. Remii

Remii Member

Fixed Mr DieHard :)

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Damn, trading down to 9 would be pretty brutal, but it would be better than drafting any QB in this class #1. The Bills would have to give up at least 2 first rounders (this year and next year), this year's 2nd rounder, and 4th rounder for me to seriously consider it.

6. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

It would have to be this yrs Bills 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders and next yrs 1st or next yrs 2nd and 3rd to even consider trading the 1st pick.

I'm for trading down but the 9th pick means all the top guys are gone ( Clowney, Mack, Watkins, Robinson) and the top 3 qbs and possibly Derek Carr (if you believe the Raiders rumors) are all gone. That leaves you with possibly Matthews, Ebron and Dennard as the best players left. None of those players do Texans any good right now though I guess you could argue for drafting any of them.

7. Remii

Remii Member

Clinton-Dix is a stud... A big fast centerfield type safety.

Justin Gilbert isn't garbage. If they draft him they can cut J-Jo. And plus Gilbert can return kicks.

Both of those guys would be better picks for the Texans over Clowney and Mack considering there are very good OLB's that will be available after the 1st.

And all 3 of the quarterbacks could be still available at pick #9 (definitely 1 and maybe 2)...

Both of these

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I am guessing you also anticipate Barr being taken before #9... he might be a good consolation prize with drafting a QB with 2:1 or 3:1. That said, i wouldn't move 1 to 9 unless next year's BUF pick was also included... with the expectation that both HOU and BUF picks would be pretty high in 2015 to increase the chances of getting one of the top QBs next year.

9. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

If the Texans are getting Clemons I doubt they draft a safety in the first and with the jags, browns, raiders, bucs and Vikings drafting ahead of the texans I doubt more than 1 of the supposedly top qbs are still on the board.

Do you really want your starting corner returning kicks.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'd like to trade the #1 pick for Jennifer Lawrence.

11. Remii

Remii Member

Clinton-Dix is in the Ed Reed/Troy Polamalu mold... He's worth being drafted in the top half of the draft (Seattle drafted Earl Thomas with a #14 pick).

Return punts specifically... And why not...??? It's not like it hasn't been done and is still being done...

Last year people swore up in down that Geno would go in the top 10. And the Raiders, Jags, Vikings, and Tampa don't HAVE to draft a quarterback in the 1st because they recently signed one just like the Texans (and Tampa has a decent kid already they drafted last year). So we shall see... And I don't think Cleveland's GM even showed up for Johnny's pro day.

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If you trade down, you could pick two quarterbacks. Let the best man win.

Taj, Metz, Grap, Thomas, Savage

Pick 2 one will be good, camp competition fierce, and the receivers get a million balls

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Pick 2 of those and the chances are that you will have 2 duds not 1 stud.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bills #9 would yield Jake Matthews or Taylor Lewan.

One of these guys plus a plethora of high picks is the right play.

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Agreed. 3 of those guys might not even get drafted.

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Jake Matthews will go 2 5 or 6. This is per Lance Zierlein who has connections to OL people in the league because of his dad who is the OL coach of the Cardinals.

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Then Taylor Lewan it is. I've seen a bunch of him, but since I'm doing Buffalo's mock, I've gotten to read quite a few of the scouting reports. This beast is a 10-12 year NFL ready starter...a leader and likely perennial pro bowler.....who also might be ticketed for left tackle down the road.

He plays with attitude...has a "mean streak"...which we certainly need...

#37 Plowman, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Teams will not surrender all their top picks in one year. It just doesn't work that way. It will have to be spread out over 2-3 years. No team will perform a trade like you're suggesting for anything less than a franchise QB.

But I'm good with #9. I can easily list 9 players I wouldn't mind spending a #1 on. Well, Sammy Watkins I don't care for, but if he's still on the board you'd think someone will trade up for him again.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

My top 7
    Clowney
    Johnny
    Watkins
    Robinson
    Mack
    Matthews
    Lewan

I have a problem getting to #9. But someone is likely to take another QB, and maybe a guy like Ebron, so one of those 7 will probably fall to #9. Right now though, one could make the argument that there's a big gap between Clowney and the rest of this draft...or any draft for that matter. The #1 pick needs to come at a premium.

#39 Aruba77, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  20. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Martin Lawrence's baby sister?