1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Matching Rules for 2024 Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BreakYoSelfFool, Jan 12, 2024.

1. BreakYoSelfFool

As a team below the Tax Apron, the Rockets can bring back up to an extra 7.5 million in salary for each trade. This sounds like a great way to improve the talent level of the team. Stone has said "by no means, this year at least, are we aggressively hunting a particular deal or series of deals" and "we are not feeling any need to do something per se." I think we can take this to mean that we are hunting a particular deal or series of deals and we are feeling the need to do something.

I think some of the easily expendable guys we might look to trade are:
    Victor Oladipo 9.45 mil (expiring)
    Jock Landale 8 mil (expiring/currently Unguaranteed beyond this year)
    Reggie Bullock 3.2 mil (expiring)
    Aaron Holiday 2.38 million (expiring)
    Jeramiah Robinson-Earl 1.9 million (expiring)

Some valuable guys who we might get rid of for the right guy:

Jalen Green 9.6 mil
    Jeff Green 9.8 mil
    Jaesean Tate 6.5 mil
    Boban Marajonich 2.9 mil

I think this list may limit us to mostly salary dump type players, but there are some teams that might be trying to get some picks for guys out of the rotation. Currently there are quite a few teams in the Luxury Tax so I think we should have some options for upgrades. Are there any guys we could target?

If we could package Oladipo + Jock to get a 25 mil salary dump would be awesome. With OG already off the market, I think Dejonte Murray would be the best option if we have to get rid of 1 or 2 of the useful guys, we probably would even be willing to part with Jalen for him if we feel he's a better fit. Maybe Bobby Portis for an easily expendable guy like Reggie Bullock