1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Mario Williams?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by johnfitz55, Dec 26, 2011.

1. johnfitz55

johnfitz55 Member

I say we do it if we can get a 1st rounder out of it

Our front 7 is stout already and he belongs in a 4-3

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

We can't trade a guy who isn't under contract.

He's essentially a free agent right now.

3. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Trade him anyway?

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Has anybody ever been franchise tagged and traded? Is that even allowed?

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Matt Cassel

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't be so quick to move Mario. When playing better teams like NO and Oak, the game totally swung when he left....no pass rush. We were on our way to winning those games ...He occupies multiple blockers EVERY play. He is STILL a beast who is underrated. 3-4,whatever defense.. If we are even toying with the idea it shouldn't be for anything less than 2- 3 number ones plus a stud veteran.

#6 Plowman, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  7. plates300

plates300 Member

very hesitant to trade mario. he was a beast and was on pace to pass his career sacks record. There's no reason to think he wouldn't do better and improve even more.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Should at least see what is out there . . . .
    see what you could get

Rocket River
    If someone knocks your socks off . . . pull the trigger
    otherwise. . . . .

9. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I agree, he would still be a great asset for us . Our LB depth will be the best in thr NFL. But, if we are offered multiple 1st and 2nd rounders, I pull the trigger to bring more young talent to our stacked franchise. Its a great situation to be in

10. Plowman

Supporting Member

Yes, and he defends the run too.

I think a lot of folks tend to forget how young Mario is ...He's a massive physical specimen who has proven worthy of the top pick. True, he hasn't been able to stay healthy as much as we would like, but I'll go to war with him as a centerpiece on D. As good as our defense is, there is less gambling and more natural havoc wreaked with Mario in there.The dude is a gamechanger who not only draws the double on every play, but sets a furious tone for the rest of that D line when he is throwing guys aside like rag dolls.
    I can see the rationale in moving him as per the right deal ...but again......it would take real commitment by the buyer.

#10 Plowman, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I want Mario and Foster back.

But in the event that we can't re-sign Mario, we better get a first rounder or 2 in return.

12. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

It's going to take quite a bit to tie up both Foster and Mario long term this offseason. As much as I'd love to see Foster remain a Texan I'd feel much better tying up a DE long term than a RB.

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

This is way overstated. He gets multiple blockers maybe 1/3 of the time. I do agree with your assessment, generally, though. Antonio Smith looked like a beast with Mario in there, and he's looked average since. But you're asking for way too much in return for the third or fourth best pass-rusher in the league (when healthy) who has had multiple season-ending injuries. You sign Mario if you can, you franchise him and trade him if not, but you won't get much more than a mid-first-rounder for him now.

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Love Mario, but his pricetag may not fit as we go forward. Yes, he would be our top OLB, but there is a hard cap, and Barwin/Reed combine for what, a tenth of his cap number? Managing the cap is critical.

Year after year, Mario has struggled with injuries, normally the nagging variety that significantly effect his play. It's been a couple years since he was "healthy" and dominant.

Love him, rock his jersey, but the team has to do what's right for them.
    1. Sign him to a deal with a low base and performance bonuses to protect them from his injury history.
    2. Franchise him
    2a. Trade him to a 4-3 NFC team of his choice for the two picks.

1 person likes this.
  15. Plowman

Supporting Member

My point is that he's a 26 year old mountain of a man entering the prime of his career. And while he may not occupy the double on every play, it happens often. I see him as not only as an amazing specimen, but a great player that can destroy pockets, get sacks, bust up the run, and lift that defense to a place they can't get without him.( a rarity in the NFL) Mario's absence has been offset by the play of Brooks Reed and a host of talent on that side of the ball. Also, the team has rallied together (great to watch) and Wade has been large and in charge. But all that can only take you so far without Mario. He makes us capable of winning it all if healthy. If you want to deal him to manage the downside risk of injury or the cap(as emjohn pointed out above), then okay ....If we go that route though, he's not leaving as just a defensive end, but a franchise player(the kind that leads legendary defenses), the kind that brings a truckload of talent.

#15 Plowman, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bring him back. He was playing amazingly well before the injury and with Barwin's emergence he and Mario on opposite sides is scary good.

I understand the hesitation due to his injuries but the one positive of those injuries is that they are all unrelated. Plus those injuries will be bargaining points to lower his contract number

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

all depends on the pricetag. clearly you don't have to have mario williams to have an impactful defense and a very impactful defensive line. we have some real weaknesses that could use some help. i wouldn't let resigning mario stand in the way of addressing other real needs.